PDA

View Full Version : Primeval animal choice

awa
2009-06-14, 01:17 AM
I'm considering playing a primeval who if your are unfamiliar have the ability to transform into a dire animal or dinosaur I would greatly enjoy suggestions on the best (most powerful most versatile etc) choice.

The requirements are it can't have more then 8 hd and can't be bigger then size large
thanks in advance

p.s Please include the source and 3.5 only

sofawall
2009-06-14, 01:30 AM
I'm a fan of the Dire Lion. Pounce = win.

Source is MM.

Starscream
2009-06-14, 01:32 AM
Shame about the fairly low HD limit, Dire Bear and Tiger would be such obvious choices otherwise.

The example they give in the sourcebook is a dire lion. That's not a bad choice, you get both Pounce and Improved Grab.

Dire Ape is less cool, but as it is basically humanoid in shape, some DMs might allow you to keep your weapons and armor.

Dire Wolf is alright if you like trip attacks, but inferior to Lion in pretty much every other respect.

Dinosaurs are kind of a mixed bag. There are some really good ones, but those mostly have too many HD.

I'd go with the lion, myself. Maybe Dire Hawk if you want a flying form.

RTGoodman
2009-06-14, 02:31 AM
Dinosaurs are kind of a mixed bag. There are some really good ones, but those mostly have too many HD.

Except, of course, the Fleshraker Dinosaur from MM3, which is BROKENLY good. Don't know if it's available as a Primeval, but if it is, that's probably your best bet. You pounce! You grapple! You trip! You poison! You slice, you dice! You kill things with no remorse!

Deth Muncher
2009-06-14, 02:35 AM
Except, of course, the Fleshraker Dinosaur from MM3, which is BROKENLY good. Don't know if it's available as a Primeval, but if it is, that's probably your best bet. You pounce! You grapple! You trip! You poison! You slice, you dice! You kill things with no remorse!

But wait, there's more! If you act RIGHT NOW, we'll even throw in a FREE HALFLING from the Talenta Plaines to RIDE IT FOR YOU!

Starscream
2009-06-14, 03:29 AM

Oh yeah, those. They make great animal companions, I know that.

The ability scores aren't as impressive as some of the Dire Animals, but you won't lack for options in combat. I think I'd rather be Large though if I were going to be a melee combatant.

ChaosDefender24
2009-06-14, 08:10 AM
Fleshraker isn't as great as it's cut out to be in this case, with its fairly low ability scores etc.

Dire lion is generally considered the best overall combat form for the primeval. The giant octopus is rather scary as well if you can stay in the water (the giant octopus is a prehistoric creature IRL, so....). A very good grappler form would be the dire snake from MM2

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-14, 08:45 AM
If you have Miniatures Handbook, maybe take a look at the Cave Ankylosaurus (+17 natural armor, Trample) and Cave Triceratops (round 1: Powerful Charge, round 2: Trample away; repeat). Either of those can have one or more mutations detailed in the sidebar, including an additional +6 to Str, Dex, and Con, and wings for a 50 ft. (poor) fly speed.

ChaosDefender24
2009-06-14, 09:36 AM
^Oh my gah!! That may very well be /thread

awa
2009-06-14, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the help the dire lion does seem to be the best choice of the creatures presented with the flesh raker second becuase of it's versatility

The cave dinosaurs are cool but the mutations probably fall under the same rules as a template and wouldn't be allowed by a wild shape and becuase they have been magical bred their not really primeval animals any more other wise they would be an excellent choice.

Thanks for the help if any one has additional suggestions i would be glad to hear them

Olo Demonsbane
2009-06-14, 07:37 PM
Giant Octopus is good for lots of natural attacks...I havent read that ability, so I dont know if an aquatic animal would be bad...

awa
2009-06-14, 09:40 PM
unfortunately i have no reason to expect this is going to be an aquatic adventure and octopus cant breath air

Tiki Snakes
2009-06-15, 07:20 AM
You could always charge, leap at your foe; "FORM OF A GIANT OCTOPUS!"
grapple/attack the smeg out of them whilst holding your breath, then switch back before you turn blue?

Real Octopi are quite capable of sneaky breath-holding antics.
I shall pluralise how I like, ner!