PDA

View Full Version : body slot for bluff

yilduz
2009-06-14, 02:02 AM
In the DMG 3.5, there is a table for body slots used for magical items. Which body slot would be most appropriate for increasing bluff skill?

Samuel Sturm
2009-06-14, 02:06 AM
In my opinion, the neck or head.

What do you need such a thing for?

FMArthur
2009-06-14, 02:06 AM
Sunglasses.

yilduz
2009-06-14, 02:08 AM
In my opinion, the neck or head.

What do you need such a thing for?

Mainly feinting... but bluff can make for a lot of out-of-battle fun, too. :smallwink:

Sunglasses.

lol that's awesome.

Narmoth
2009-06-14, 02:10 AM
The historical bluff body slot (also used for intimidate) is the codpiece...

AslanCross
2009-06-14, 02:10 AM
It should totally be a tongue stud, but count as a ring or amulet for the purposes of body slots. (MIC has the Flesh Ring of Scorn, which as far as I can tell is a nipple ring)

Maerok
2009-06-14, 02:12 AM
Necklace would probably be best.

At least for incarnum, IIRC, a lot of that sort of stuff was appropriately assigned to the throat chakra. So I'd say necklace.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-14, 02:13 AM
I'll agree that it would be a goggles/face spot, perhaps some kind of mask. There's already the Circlet of Persuasion in the DMG, that grants a +3 bonus to all Cha-based checks, including Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, UMD, Iaijutsu Focus, and even a Cleric's Turning check to Turn/Rebuke Undead. Its price looks to be (bonus squared) x 500 gp, so it should be fairly easy to upgrade or custom make one with a higher bonus.

Ganurath
2009-06-14, 02:18 AM
Mask of Lies is the eye slot, Shawl of Bewitching is the neck, and the Circlet of Persuasion has already been mentioned. Observing the eyes can allow you to prepare for the behavior of the entire body, and a person's face communicates a lot about their behavior. These are the best spots for Bluff items.

yilduz
2009-06-14, 02:18 AM
I'll agree that it would be a goggles/face spot, perhaps some kind of mask. There's already the Circlet of Persuasion in the DMG, that grants a +3 bonus to all Cha-based checks, including Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, UMD, Iaijutsu Focus, and even a Cleric's Turning check to Turn/Rebuke Undead. Its price looks to be (bonus squared) x 500 gp, so it should be fairly easy to upgrade or custom make one with a higher bonus.

A lot of the suggestions make sense, but I actually love the idea of a mask. Thank you.

TheThan
2009-06-14, 02:20 AM

Dang, someone beat me to it. so instead of suggesting it, I'll just second it.

yilduz
2009-06-14, 02:27 AM
I have another, somewhat related, question. In chart 7-33, a few pages before the body slot chart, when it says "Multiple different abilities - Multiply higher item cost by 2," does that mean multiply the total of everything by 2, or multiply the highest ability cost by 2 and add everything else to it?

Quietus
2009-06-14, 04:06 AM
What I would suggest is that if you only want it for feinting.. see if you can get it added to a weapon or glove. And have the bonus *only* apply when feinting in combat, for half price on the enchantment. It might seem significant, but really, feinting isn't that powerful - even with a feat, it still means you only get one attack that turn.

Hawriel
2009-06-14, 04:24 AM
I think slot rules for types for magic effects are silly and nitpicky. However I do understand the spirit behind them.

If its a bluff bonus as in lie your butt off item an amulet (neck), Hat (head), would be logical. Although you want the magic bonus on a faint. This is a combat menuver. A ring, glove, or rist slot would be appropriate. The magic is effecting the combat skills of the user. Better yet put the enchantment on the weapon.

Hmm now I have a nice image of a sword with illusion enchantments that have a blure, mirror image or displacement effect.

mostlyharmful
2009-06-14, 04:29 AM
codpiece. text text text

GolemsVoice
2009-06-14, 08:27 AM
Msybe the belly, meaning a girdle? Intuition and spontaneous actions are often said to come frome the belly rather than from the head, as the head is responsible for rational panning and intelligence.

ChaosDefender24
2009-06-14, 08:30 AM
It should totally be a tongue stud, but count as a ring or amulet for the purposes of body slots. (MIC has the Flesh Ring of Scorn, which as far as I can tell is a nipple ring)

Oooh don't forget BoVD's nipple clamp of exquisite pain

Rhiannon87
2009-06-14, 09:28 AM
I have another, somewhat related, question. In chart 7-33, a few pages before the body slot chart, when it says "Multiple different abilities - Multiply higher item cost by 2," does that mean multiply the total of everything by 2, or multiply the highest ability cost by 2 and add everything else to it?

Yeah, it means you multiple the higher price by 2 and add the other stuff to it.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-14, 09:30 AM
In order, hat (interaction), headband/helmet (mental improvement), mask (face/goggle slot).

Flickerdart
2009-06-14, 09:39 AM
Breast plate of Distraction. :smallbiggrin:

Alternately, Chainmail Bikini.

Deth Muncher
2009-06-14, 09:59 AM
Has no one mentioned the Silver Tongue?

Bonus points if you go the Johnny Tremain route.

MickJay
2009-06-14, 11:21 AM
I quadruple the codpiece. Things like diadems, necklaces, lovely brooches etc would be nice for increasing diplomacy checks, for bluff you need something that "works" fast and hard; it's about overwhelming your interlocutor with bull***t before he realizes what's going on. For females, an excessively busty breastplate would work fine, too. :smalltongue:

Overlord Nicy
2009-06-14, 12:35 PM
Head slot. Poker Face.

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-14, 01:42 PM
The SRD says that it's instead "Multiply lower item cost by 1.5". Must have been errataed. As it rightly should have been, since if you go with the book, combining an item with a more expensive one costs more than making it slotless!

So multiply the lower ability cost by 1.5 and then add the cost of the higher ability to that.

It isn't spelled out, but I assume that additional abilities beyond the second most expensive each add twice their normal price to the item's total price. (Otherwise, sticking an indefinite number of additional abilities on slotted items becomes cheaper than putting them in slotless items, despite taking up no more extra space.)

The Magic Item Compendium allows for combining various standard bonuses with other effects with no increase in cost; see page 234. Basically, they decided that certain bonuses are so essential that characters shouldn't be charged body slots for them. (Or in other words, read the Splatbook of Power Creep to gain a permanent inherent bonus to your Min-Maxing score!)

Josh the Aspie
2009-06-14, 02:04 PM
Sunglasses.

Found in Sandstorm, page 99 (table) and 101 (description).
Alternately Found in Races of the Dragon, page page 122 (table), 123 (description).

Slightly different versions each. One prevents glare from sand dunes and snow and the like, the other gives a bonus to gaze attacks, but gives -2 to spot and search if you don't have low light vision or darkvision.

Josh the Aspie
2009-06-14, 02:06 PM
If its a bluff bonus as in lie your butt off item an amulet (neck), Hat (head), would be logical.

Wouldn't that be golden pantaloons with special padding?

(Cookie for whoever gets the reference).

MickJay
2009-06-14, 04:52 PM
Wouldn't that be golden pantaloons with special padding?

(Cookie for whoever gets the reference).

Only if you have a matching Silver and Bronze pairs :smallbiggrin:

skywalker
2009-06-15, 01:16 AM

My, what a large protective...

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a Madison piercing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_piercing).