PDA

View Full Version : Slimed Undead [3.5]

joe
2009-06-14, 02:09 AM
So I came into an interesting situation last session where the party had managed to avoid a patch of green slime, and later during a battle with some zombies, had lured some of them into contact with the slime instead.

Now, Green Slime damages Constitution according to RAW, but also dissolves wood and metal, and I would presume decaying flesh. Seeing as zombies have no CON score, I abruptly decided the best way would be to have the zombie reduce 1hp each turn until it was engulfed. How would you handle a Zombie that has made contact with a Green Slime. Any suggestions?

Starscream
2009-06-14, 02:20 AM
Logically I guess if it dissolves wood and metal it would dissolve flesh.

However, if it doesn't you'd have the makings of an interesting homebrewed template.

Because undead have no Cons, you could have a Slimed Undead template that basically acts as a symbiotic relationship. By being covered in Green Slime, the undead creature can kill even easier because anyone it touches will be harmed, but it itself will not. The slime gains mobility and the ability to actively seek out prey rather than simply wait for living things to stumble into it or walk underneath it.

Innis Cabal
2009-06-14, 02:26 AM
See I had this image of a skeleton with an ooze living in its chest cavity when I saw the title. Living Harm spell and a Skeletal Dragon? Ya.....ya that would do nicely....

Worira
2009-06-14, 02:34 AM
Two possibilities: first, keep track of how much CON it would lose if it had any, then reduce the undead's HP by 1 per HD for every two points of "CON damage". Against human zombies, this is a complicated way of saying that it does 1d6 damage around. The other option is to just go with 2d6 damage a round, as if they were wood/metal.

shadzar
2009-06-14, 03:30 AM
:smallconfused: What happened to green slime turning creatures into gren slime in a few turns?

sofawall
2009-06-14, 03:34 AM
3.5 happened.

shadzar
2009-06-14, 03:57 AM
3.5 happened.

Yeah, ok, well which book is the slime in now so I can find this new version of it. I don't recall ever seeing in while playing 3.5? :smallconfused:

I was left under the impression it still turned things into slime.

sofawall
2009-06-14, 04:34 AM
I think it's in the DMG now, under traps... Lemme go check.

EDIT: Right after traps, page 76, second column. Only con damage nowadays.

shadzar
2009-06-14, 05:46 AM
I think it's in the DMG now, under traps... Lemme go check.

EDIT: Right after traps, page 76, second column. Only con damage nowadays.

:smallconfused:

reproducing as it consumes organic matter

Looks like it still turns things into slimes to me cause it eats them and mitosis just quickly makes more slime as it eats.

Funny how it neglects to tell exactly HOW it consumes this organic matter and reproduces.

Bit of a gaping hole in the rules if you ask me. :smallconfused:

Zombie while undead, would still be organic matter. The DM should just use best judgement to see what amount he wants to turn into gren slime and how fast, unless the latest rules are wnated from 2nd edition that accommodates the DM by giving complete ruls to go with the ecology of the stuff.

:smallconfused:

Babale
2009-06-14, 12:52 PM
But while a zombie's flesh is eaten, his bones are not!

I'd rule that after a certain amount of time, you'll replace the zombies with skeletons who can make a touch attack to bring the slime in contact with their enemies.

Riffington
2009-06-14, 01:34 PM
And here I thought this thread was about Slimer...

Asbestos
2009-06-14, 01:59 PM
But while a zombie's flesh is eaten, his bones are not!

I'd rule that after a certain amount of time, you'll replace the zombies with skeletons who can make a touch attack to bring the slime in contact with their enemies.

Wouldn't the organic component of the bone still be dissolved?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-06-14, 02:22 PM
Bone is carbon-based pretty much entirely, doesn't that make it organic?

IMO, the 1d6/round sounds about right, since undead are more sturdy (negative energy and all that) than dead wood (2d6/round). The average of those would be halfway between 2d4/round and 1d10/round

Riffington
2009-06-14, 02:54 PM
Bone is carbon-based pretty much entirely

About 70% of bone is hydroxyapatite.

Tyrmatt
2009-06-14, 04:38 PM
My first thought would be "BOOOOMER!!"

I would probably punish the players for avoiding my trap and using it against me by making the monsters gain a bonus from it somehow. In this case, I would say the zombie shlurps inside and remerges as a Slime Zombie next turn. It still loses HP every turn but gains the ability to vomit slime over the players as a cone attack of say 10ft range. Vomitting causes the same effects as the slime but maybe on a more temporary basis.

Riffington
2009-06-14, 08:01 PM
I would probably punish the players for avoiding my trap and using it against me
:nale:

Ixahinon
2009-06-14, 08:07 PM
My first thought would be "BOOOOMER!!"

I would probably punish the players for avoiding my trap and using it against me by making the monsters gain a bonus from it somehow. In this case, I would say the zombie shlurps inside and remerges as a Slime Zombie next turn. It still loses HP every turn but gains the ability to vomit slime over the players as a cone attack of say 10ft range. Vomitting causes the same effects as the slime but maybe on a more temporary basis.

Harsh...most DMs would reward such an action..

Though I do like the Left 4 Dead aspect of a green slime vomiting zombie. Now we just need to find a way to make it attract other zombies, and put them under the effects of haste and Rage.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-14, 10:38 PM
I would probably punish the players for avoiding my trap and using it against me by making the monsters gain a bonus from it somehow. Yeeah, no. Players being creative should be rewarded, not punished, especially if it does anything to liven up the 3.x Trap mechanics.

Jothki
2009-06-15, 01:09 AM
I'd say that that situation is just evidence that undead and constructs should have CON scores. Anything that shouldn't affect them can just be handled through immunities.

Myrmex
2009-06-15, 02:22 AM
Yeeah, no. Players being creative should be rewarded, not punished, especially if it does anything to liven up the 3.x Trap mechanics.

No, anytime a player foils your cunning DM plans, they need to be punished. They're like dogs or children. If you let them get away with small things like avoiding traps or not washing behind their ears, they'll soon be knocking over liquor stores and ignoring your campaign's plot.