PDA

View Full Version : Adamantine Body confusion

ShadowFighter15
2009-06-14, 06:21 AM
I've recently been putting together a warforged artificer and I've been using a few of the threads on the WotC forums to give me an idea of how to build him (mainly because this is both my first warforged character and my first artificer character, so I needed some idea of what the hell I'm doing).

Anyway, after going over the Adamantine Body feat (which was used in just about every example build I found), the effects of wearing armour the character isn't proficient with and the artificer's proficiencies, I'm wondering why people would take that feat when artificers aren't proficient with heavy armour (which Adamantine Body counts as). Are warforged able to bypass this problem because it's essentially their skin, or are the penalties from non-proficiency of little consequence to an artificer?

AslanCross
2009-06-14, 06:29 AM
I came upon the same problem myself when I made a Warforged Warblade. (Only up to medium armor). I bypassed the confusion by taking two levels in fighter.

Honestly I really have no idea what the official answer is.

Fishy
2009-06-14, 06:45 AM
The standard Warforged plating looks like armor, can be enchanted like armor, grants an armor check penalty and armor bonuses to AC, but technically isn't armor, to the delight of all your robot monks.

Adamantine Body specifically says that it's like heavy armor, and I have no idea what that means in terms of proficiency.

Iku Rex
2009-06-14, 06:53 AM
From the official FAQ:

Does a warforged with the Adamantine Body feat need
to have Heavy Armor Proficiency in order to avoid
suffering penalties for wearing heavy armor?
No. The Adamantine Body feat resembles heavy armor in
many ways, but it doesn’t require you to have any special
proficiency.

ShadowFighter15
2009-06-14, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the help, I was a little worried since this guy's got kind-of lack-lustre DEX (13). Had some bad luck with the dice.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-06-14, 07:00 AM
From the FAQ:

Does a warforged with the Adamantine Body feat need
to have Heavy Armor Proficiency in order to avoid
suffering penalties for wearing heavy armor?
No. The Adamantine Body feat resembles heavy armor in
many ways, but it doesn’t require you to have any special
proficiency.
There's a huge difference between "a character with this feat is considered to be wearing heavy armor," and "this is considered to be heavy armor."

ShadowFighter15
2009-06-14, 07:12 AM
From the FAQ:

There's a huge difference between "a character with this feat is considered to be wearing heavy armor," and "this is considered to be heavy armor."

Hate to tell you; but you were ninja'd by seven minutes.

ZeroNumerous
2009-06-14, 07:16 AM
Plus, wand-wielding artificers just don't care one way or another.

Bayar
2009-06-14, 07:50 AM
It's simple, really. You are considered proficient in your own body.