PDA

View Full Version : Xykon's wording...

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-06-14, 01:26 PM
he said, and I quote, "And for the Evil's sake, will somebody wake this moron up?!?"

THE Evil's sake.
THE.

what is "The Evil"?

Is he referring to, like, looking evil? Or an evil plan? or somebody named evil?

Kaytara
2009-06-14, 01:43 PM
All the evil they're trying to accomplish, I think. They are trying to achieve evil things, and for that it wouldn't hurt to have the powerful monster actually contributing somehow.

Ehra
2009-06-14, 01:46 PM
I think it's supposed to be like how people say "oh, for goodness' sake!" No idea what the "the" is about, though.

Altaria87
2009-06-14, 01:53 PM
he said, and I quote, "And for the Evil's sake, will somebody wake this moron up?!?"

THE Evil's sake.
THE.

what is "The Evil"?

Is he referring to, like, looking evil? Or an evil plan? or somebody named evil?
I'm pretty sure it's just a parody of "for goodness' sake" but it could be a form of foreshadowing... maybe the MiTD is actually THE Evil

Ancalagon
2009-06-14, 04:02 PM
It's probably a play on "for christ's/goodness/god's sake"... if you want to know why he's spelling "evil" with a capital letter, read Start of Darkness. For Xykon, there's evil and there's Evil.

Lufia
2009-06-14, 04:17 PM
I hadn't even noticed that. I vote for "somebody named Evil". :smalltongue:

(Yeah, I've no clue either...)

Hands_Of_Blue
2009-06-14, 05:52 PM
It's the First Evil.

It came to this dimension after the Hellmouth was destroyed. Obviously.

Snake-Aes
2009-06-14, 08:07 PM

THE Evil's sake.
THE.

what is "The Evil"?

The concept of Evil itself. Alignments are clearly defined and the pursuit of one can be conscious just like it can be an intrinsic part of the persona.

DreadSpoon
2009-06-15, 12:25 AM
Probably just a typo. They happen often enough in OOTS strips. Extra "the's" are probably the single most common typo I see in web comics, actually, for a reason I've yet to determine (which may just be coincidence).

Every scrap of evidence we have indicates that Xykon neither works for nor worships anybody, mortal or otherwise.

enarch3t
2009-06-15, 12:53 AM
I think its a joke on "For goodness sake." Also, I think its a reference to Xykon's speech on Start of Darkness on the difference between evil and Evil.

factotum
2009-06-15, 01:18 AM
I think it's more along the lines of "For the Gods' sake!" which is "For God's sake!" only in a world with multiple gods--Xykon just twists it in his usual way.

hewhosaysfish
2009-06-15, 08:55 AM
... maybe the MiTD is actually THE Evil

Yippy, skippy! The Evil! (http://sluggy.com/daily.php?date=000627)
...That would actually be quite cool if that's what the MiTD is.

Erts
2009-06-15, 09:03 AM
Its a play on word on goodness sake. It would sound weird to say "evilness" sake.

Mannryu
2009-06-16, 02:06 AM
I think its a joke on "For goodness sake." Also, I think its a reference to Xykon's speech on Start of Darkness onthe difference between evil and Evil.

This. Xykon knows he is Evil with a capital "E" and I'm pretty sure his cursing needs to be as well.

Origomar
2009-06-16, 02:09 AM

THE Evil's sake.
THE.

what is "The Evil"?

Hes obviously reffering to evil's sake(the japanese alchohalic beverage made out of rice i think) So what he basically was saying was "For Evil japanese alchoal beverage, will somebody wake this moron up?!?".

Wait...

Kaytara
2009-06-16, 02:16 AM
At least now it's official: Xykon does it for teh evulz. :smalltongue:

Boaromir
2009-06-16, 02:21 AM
At least now it's official: Xykon does it for teh evulz. :smalltongue:

If at the end, Roy asks Xykon if he has any last words, and he says 'I just did it for the lulz,' I might very well cry.

TheGrimace
2009-06-16, 02:22 AM
I think it's more along the lines of "For the Gods' sake!" which is "For God's sake!" only in a world with multiple gods--Xykon just twists it in his usual way.

QFTW

My opinion is that "christ's sake" uses christ as the personification of good. So "The Evil" is the personification of evil.