PDA

View Full Version : [DDI]Playing Revenants

NPCMook
2009-06-14, 11:55 PM
http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20090615

Article is up, still looking it over

EDIT: Revenants are interesting, nothing really special. When you choose the race you pick a secondary race and are considered both races for feats and paragon paths. You can spend a feat to gain one of your other races racial features... Which is most of what their Heroic tier feats are, gaining their former races features back. They are also considered Undead, and at the same time a Living race.:smallconfused: They also have a racial feature allowing them to make 1 standard action when they have 0 HP, until their first Death Saving throw. A side note they do give a hint that the Assassin will be Con or Dex based, most likely Dex.

And they put up an excerpt for Divine Power showing off one of the new Avenger Paragon Paths (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20090615b), however I get a 404 error when clicking to open the PDF

RTGoodman
2009-06-15, 12:35 AM
http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20090615

Article is up, still looking it over

Great googly-moogly! I'd been waiting days for that article, and it completely slipped my mind! Thanks!

EDIT: Getting that same 404 on the Favored Soul, unfortunately. Hopefully they'll get it fixed soon.

Gralamin
2009-06-15, 12:41 AM
I think 46 feats are enough :smalleek:

Overall, looks good.

erikun
2009-06-15, 09:27 AM
I find it rather odd that the undead can die to failing death savings throws, while the robot-man Warforged can always take 10 (and thus never fail).

Then again, perhaps my information about Warforged is flawed - someone else is playing that character, so it doesn't concern me too much.

Mando Knight
2009-06-15, 12:30 PM
I find it rather odd that the undead can die to failing death savings throws, while the robot-man Warforged can always take 10 (and thus never fail).

Then again, perhaps my information about Warforged is flawed - someone else is playing that character, so it doesn't concern me too much.

What's even weirder... you can be an undead robot-man: Revenants can be Warforged, and there's even Warforged Soul to go with it.

RTGoodman
2009-06-15, 12:42 PM
What's even weirder... you can be an undead robot-man: Revenants can be Warforged, and there's even Warforged Soul to go with it.

Actually, that could work out pretty well.

You're a warforge - a construct created in some unknown arcane ritual, infused with a sentient soul. After fighting in the Last War (or whatever you did in a non-Eberron setting), you took up the life of adventuring, and eventually set out on a quest to kill off an evil Lich. But something went wrong, and you were destroyed. The Raven Queen, realizing the necessity of your task (and hating Liches anyway), creates a Revenant, taking that sentient soul and turning it into a complete, though slightly undead, being.

Awesomologist
2009-06-15, 01:52 PM
On Revenants: I like the crunch, and although I was coping for a Con/Int race, a well supported Con/Dex race does not disappoint me. Their fluff can be fixed to fit your campaign (I'm not grasping the whole Raven Queen likes some undead but not others) but that can all be waved away by your DM for your campaign anyways.

On the Avenger Favored Soul: Link works now. At-will flight at level 16 is nice and the attack powers don't disappoint. The utility power is odd since it boosts the flight abilities you won't have for another 4 levels and regenerates when you're *NOT* bloodied. But once again it's a Paragon Path that leads the Avenger away from being a striker and more of a mobile melee controller. Fine if you like that, considering its better than Unveiled Visage (when its not broken) and Hammer of Judgement. I hope there are some more interesting and striker focused Paragon Paths for the Avenger though in Divine Power. Otherwise the Avenger becomes a class that players multi-class out of more than any other.

Tiki Snakes
2009-06-15, 03:39 PM
Re: "Raven Queen hates the Undead"
I just don't see this as part of her essential shtick.

The Raven Queen is the God of Death. The entire Concept of Death is her 'Domain', her Kingdom, her property and so on. In general terms she protects the natural cycle of things, because that's part of being a Death God, I guess. But more importantly, she is a God. She answers to no-one. The majority of her adversion to the undead is, in my opinion, on account of the origin of the majority of undead RATHER THAN the fact of them existing.

Because the Majority of undead are either, in one way or another, sourced from Vecna, who wants to depose her and take her secrets, or sourced from Orcus, who wants to destroy her and take her power.

She doesn't have to have single line on the subject of life and death, because she doesn't want one. Who's going to tell her otherwise, really?