PDA

View Full Version : order of the scribble. SOD spoiler

Mystic Muse
2009-06-15, 12:15 AM
is there any chance anybody from the order of the scribble is still alive? I know from reading spoilers dorukan and lirian are dead. we all know soon and kraagor are dead. so is there any chance serini or Girard are still alive? or has the giant said somewhere else they're dead as a doornail?

JT Jag
2009-06-15, 12:24 AM
Durokan and Lirian were both alive and in good health as recently as a couple years ago and couple dozen years ago respectively. But Durokan and Lirian were a wizard and an elf respectively, and both of those are associated with long life. Serini is a fairly long-lived halfling, but it's implied that she may already be dead considering Xykon has her journal.Girard is human. My theory is that while he himself is dead, he created an illusory, magic-based replica of himself to defend his gate.

Mystic Muse
2009-06-15, 12:33 AM
Durokan and Lirian were both alive and in good health as recently as a couple years ago and couple dozen years ago respectively. But Durokan and Lirian were a wizard and an elf respectively, and both of those are associated with long life. Serini is a fairly long-lived halfling, but it's implied that she may already be dead considering Xykon has her journal.Girard is human. My theory is that while he himself is dead, he created an illusory, magic-based replica of himself to defend his gate.

except xykon killed dorukan and bound both his and lirian's souls.

rainbowjo
2009-06-15, 12:38 AM
except xykon killed dorukan and bound both his and lirian's souls.

yeah, thats why he said untill recently.
His Girard theory is hella valid though.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-06-15, 12:41 AM
Durokan ... a wizard ...Girard is human. My theory is that while he himself is dead, he created an illusory, magic-based replica of himself to defend his gate.

Girard is also a wizard, with only two banned schools. If he can create an illusory magical replica, he can stay alive for another decade or so the way Dorukan did.

Boaromir
2009-06-15, 02:32 AM
Girard is also a wizard, with only two banned schools. If he can create an illusory magical replica, he can stay alive for another decade or so the way Dorukan did.

How's that?

Malfunctioned
2009-06-15, 04:13 AM

I don't think we have any clear evidence to what Girards actual class was, though due to the dual-wielding I'm under the impression that he is a Ranger/Sorcerer or Wizard.

Souhiro
2009-06-15, 09:51 AM
Perhaps an arcane trikster?

The Giant said that prestige classes was for munchkins, but it didn't avoid the Dashing Swordman, and the Mystic theurge classes to appear.

SadisticFishing
2009-06-15, 09:58 AM
He said Prestige Classes were for munchkins? Wasn't that just Elan?

There's also an almost Arcane Trickster in OotPCs

Optimystik
2009-06-15, 09:58 AM
Serini might be alive. Halflings have long lifespans. Longer than humans, anyway... and she was young during their adventures, or seemed so.

EDIT:

There's also an almost Arcane Trickster in OotPCs

That guy's in the comic. Belkar killed him.

David Argall
2009-06-15, 06:59 PM
Girard could still be alive. He would be very old, but he would not be outside 3.5 rules.

Blackjackg
2009-06-15, 07:26 PM
In Serini's journal (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html), she describes Dorukan as "New kid" and, while these things are hard to gauge in OotS art-style, he seems to be a shade younger than Girard. In the same comic, we can see that Dorukan was oooold when Xykon trashed him six months before the beginning of the series. Girard probably isn't still kicking around.

Of course, I still think that Girard is secretly Elan and Nale's father. But that's another crackpot theory entirely.

SadisticFishing
2009-06-15, 07:43 PM
Yeah, while rereading I just saw him :P whoops. Dead now.

He could still be alive, easily. This conjecture is meaningless because we have absolutely no way to know :P

Jayabalard
2009-06-15, 08:06 PM
Girard is human. My theory is that while he himself is dead, he created an illusory, magic-based replica of himself to defend his gate.Is this explicitly stated somewhere?

[TS] Shadow
2009-06-15, 08:18 PM
Is this explicitly stated somewhere?

No. That's why it's called a theory.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if either Girard or Serini were still alive. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they contacted each other like Lirian and Dourkan did, moreso with Serini's attraction to Girard. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html)

Shhalahr Windrider
2009-06-15, 08:49 PM
In Serini's journal (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html), she describes Dorukan as "New kid" and, while these things are hard to gauge in OotS art-style, he seems to be a shade younger than Girard. In the same comic, we can see that Dorukan was oooold when Xykon trashed him six months before the beginning of the series. Girard probably isn't still kicking around.
We do have some precise numbers. OotS #276 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html) establishes that was sixty-six years ago that Soon's wife died. Probably took a few years to get the Order of the Scribble going. While Girard was probably older than Dorukan, it doesn't look like he was up any age categories on the kid. Girard could easily be alive and only ninety-odd years old and it wouldn't violate D&D rules or established tropes about spellcaster longetivity.

dps
2009-06-15, 09:44 PM
That guy's in the comic. Belkar killed him.

Presumably, he was raised along with everyone else killed in the fighting at Pete's, except Pete himself.

SPoD
2009-06-16, 01:20 AM
Serini might be alive. Halflings have long lifespans. Longer than humans, anyway... and she was young during their adventures, or seemed so.

Halflings that own something that Xykon wanted (and now has) have considerably shorter lifespans, though.

Susil
2009-06-16, 05:54 AM
You know, the timescale dosen't look quite right. #277 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html) Shows a very young Shojo and a very old Soon. As Windrider says, the OotScribble must have been working around 60 years ago. For Soon to be "aged", the scene in 277 has to be more recent, say, 30-40 years ago? Which doesn't add up with Shojo having commanded the Gurad for 47 years, much less the time when his father did....

Huh. So I'm pointing out continuity errors in the strip.... Or am I mistaken here?

RMS Oceanic
2009-06-16, 06:11 AM
You know, the timescale dosen't look quite right. #277 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html) Shows a very young Shojo and a very old Soon. As Windrider says, the OotScribble must have been working around 60 years ago. For Soon to be "aged", the scene in 277 has to be more recent, say, 30-40 years ago? Which doesn't add up with Shojo having commanded the Gurad for 47 years, much less the time when his father did....

Huh. So I'm pointing out continuity errors in the strip.... Or am I mistaken here?

In War and XPs, Shojo is stated to be 72 years old. This puts him at 6-7 years old when the Order of the Scribble had their adventures, and 25 when he ascended the throne.

Morquard
2009-06-16, 06:47 AM
In War and XPs, Shojo is stated to be 72 years old. This puts him at 6-7 years old when the Order of the Scribble had their adventures, and 25 when he ascended the throne.
Which would make sense.
Sure the boy in the scribble picture looks younger, but a) its really hard to judge age in OotS already and Scribble is even more grude. and b) its an 72 year old man remembering stuff that happened maybe 60 years ago, he might have mixed a few things up, especially when exactly it happened.

That his dad was only on the throne for a short time... considering how the noble class tries to get rid of Shijo and Hinjo too, I guess they just got more lucky with his father, so its not that odd. They maybe never tried it with Soon, considering that one's Epic level, and thats why he lived to die of old age.

Of course the 47 years could be wrong, when he says it, he's still pretending to be senile, so he might have messed that number up somehow. (maybe its just 37 years or so)

King of Nowhere
2009-06-16, 09:23 AM
Anyone considered the idea Girard may be an half elf? I saw no proof either way, and that would allow him to still be not too old. Anyway, if he's a ranger/spellcaster.of-some-sort I doubt he can match Xykon.

Souhiro
2009-06-16, 09:34 AM
and... what about being a psychic?

Kroy
2009-06-16, 09:58 AM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35936) thread seems important for this conversation.

Zevox
2009-06-16, 10:05 AM
Anyone considered the idea Girard may be an half elf? I saw no proof either way, and that would allow him to still be not too old. Anyway, if he's a ranger/spellcaster.of-some-sort I doubt he can match Xykon.
Someone else suggested it once, yes - though what would give anyone that idea in the first place, I don't know. But no, he isn't. We see both sides of his head in this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html) comic, and no Half-Elf pointed ear ala Pompei is to be seen.

Zevox

Optimystik
2009-06-16, 11:12 AM
Presumably, he was raised along with everyone else killed in the fighting at Pete's, except Pete himself.

I never said he was still dead, just that Belkar killed him.

Halflings that own something that Xykon wanted (and now has) have considerably shorter lifespans, though.

If you mean her biography, they found that in a library, and if you mean her diary, epic rogues have a knack for survival - even if doing so makes them lose their possessions.

In addition, having a member of the Scribble hang around to advise the Stick would be helpful against both Xykon and the Snarl, after all, and there's a good chance Serini has encountered both. She's also not powerful enough to overshadow the PCs (especially since she'd likely be quite old if they do find her.)