PDA

View Full Version : MitD and sleeping

Brauley
2009-06-15, 12:59 AM
How did he fall asleep? I mean, one second he was all scared for Mr Stiffly and the next he was fast asleep WITH Xykon ranting in on about volume level 50.

doodthedud
2009-06-15, 01:05 AM
How did he fall asleep? I mean, one second he was all scared for Mr Stiffly and the next he was fast asleep WITH Xykon ranting in on about volume level 50.

Exhaustion from using a powerful ability? :smallbiggrin:

rainbowjo
2009-06-15, 01:06 AM
Popular theory is that he needs to rest immediately after doing an uber power skill.

Damnit ninjad!

doodthedud
2009-06-15, 01:07 AM
Popular theory is that he needs to rest immediately after doing an uber power skill.

Damnit ninjad!

Indeed.

WHOO! I NINJA'D SOMEONE!!

derfenrirwolv
2009-06-15, 01:25 AM
Its a monstrous male version of Molly hayes from runaways.

Brauley
2009-06-15, 01:42 AM
That sounds plausible(Not Derfenrirwolv idea)

Either that or he's lazy.

Morquard
2009-06-15, 01:45 AM
That sounds plausible(Not Derfenrirwolv idea)

Either that or he's lazy.

Or he figures its best to fake being asleep so Xykon doesn't get angry at him... but I think the other possibilites are better ;)

doodthedud
2009-06-15, 01:47 AM
Or he figures its best to fake being asleep so Xykon doesn't get angry at him... but I think the other possibilites are better ;)

I don't think he'd think of that honestly. He isn't the deceptive type, and when he tries, it's very badly done. If he was faking sleep he'd probably be making annoying fake snores.

Morquard
2009-06-15, 01:54 AM
I don't think he'd think of that honestly. He isn't the deceptive type, and when he tries, it's very badly done. If he was faking sleep he'd probably be making annoying fake snores.
You mean like closing your eyes and saying "Zzzzzzzz..." ? :D

Fatebringer
2009-06-15, 04:03 AM
Its a monstrous male version of Molly hayes from runaways.

Oh, gawd... they would make the cutest couple. :smallbiggrin:

ref
2009-06-15, 07:05 AM
A friend made me notice: It's a speech balloon, not a sound effect. So that could indeed be faking asleep. However, that's not the MitD's style...

Mant
2009-06-15, 07:17 AM
{Scrubbed}

Ancalagon
2009-06-15, 07:29 AM
A friend made me notice: It's a speech balloon, not a sound effect. So that could indeed be faking asleep. However, that's not the MitD's style...

Sure it is. It behaves like a child, over and over again. It does not want to argue, it wants the problem to just go away. What's the best solution to this? Pretend to not-to-know-anything. What's the best way to achieve that? To be asleep.
Faking sleep in this case is completely something the MitD would do. And apparently... does. It seems outright ridicilous to assume it just fell asleep in the last ten, twenty seconds when there was no sign of tiredness at all before.

Laughing Dragon
2009-06-15, 08:18 AM
I agree, faking sleep is the only thing that makes sense (besides the fact that it is a joke in it's own right). And yes, it is something that MitD would do. Will we see more attempts at deception? Unknown, but remember that O'Chul has awakened something within MitD and we may see a number of different behaviors from him from this point forward.

Carisbourg
2009-06-15, 08:25 AM
{Scrubbed}

And you felt the need to respond? :smallyuk:

nosignal
2009-06-15, 08:35 AM
While MitD might be pretending to sleep, it wouldn't be the first time he got "really tired all of a sudden (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0477.html)" after exerting himself(third from last panel).

Another_Poet
2009-06-15, 08:39 AM
I feel that the MitD sleping in this comic is a direct response to the multiple threads last week where people guessed MitD might be Snorelax from Pokemon.

I'm not saying the MitD is Snorelax, I'm saying Rich added the sleeping joke as a response to people guessing it is Snorelax.

Either as a red herring, or as a clue that the theory is right. Either way it seems like a response to the speculation.

If it's a clue...

The evidence presented for Snorelax was pretty complete: it is large, eats almost anything, is scary yet friendly, is a monster that readers will recognise, is not a monster that most people would guess, can Stomp, and has the power (with the Metronome ability) to make thins happen with its mind. The one piece of evidence that was missing: we never see MitD asleep at inopportune times.

So, Rich figured it was about time to add a panel where MitD is asleep at an inopportune time.

If it's a red herring...

Well that would really match Rich's style better, wouldn't it?

Imgran
2009-06-15, 08:48 AM
Poke-ball summons for the Paladins or no, I'm pretty sure you can count on the MiTD not to be a Pokemon.

Besides, the big hole in the Snorlax theory is that MiTD is usually awake and mentally active. Another big hole is copyright violation. Using a poke ball for a parody is fair use. Having an actual Pokemon character in the strip is pretty borderline.

ScIaDrd
2009-06-15, 08:50 AM
Well I think He /it is only faking sleep note the ,,ZZzz" is not an (un)snound effect, but a speech bubble. And when you stole an epic -level lichīs kill, he/it is probably trying to keep under the radar so to speak. But He/it said it/ doesnīt know how he/it did it so this wakens ny theory. Ithe sleeo maybe cuse by casting of the Wish but I donīt think so, since most Slas only get a cooldow su He is you keeoing a low profile so he doesnīt get X mad at him.

Moriarty
2009-06-15, 09:00 AM
did we actually ever see a sound effect of someone sleeping in the comic?

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-06-15, 09:08 AM
And you felt the need to respond? :smallyuk:

You tell him!:smallsmile: I'll never understand why squirrels, Ohio, and people who comment on things just to say that they suck exist. But mostly that last one.:smallwink:

Another_Poet
2009-06-15, 09:09 AM
Poke-ball summons for the Paladins or no, I'm pretty sure you can count on the MiTD not to be a Pokemon.

Besides, the big hole in the Snorlax theory is that MiTD is usually awake and mentally active. Another big hole is copyright violation. Using a poke ball for a parody is fair use. Having an actual Pokemon character in the strip is pretty borderline.

I agree. Like I said, I'm not suggesting MitD is Snorelax. Rather, that Rich was amused enough by the Snorelax theory to throw out a red herring for Snorelax supporters.

Souhiro
2009-06-15, 09:23 AM
If MiTD were a Pokemon, the only thing it would say is it's name, again and again.

<MitD>Snoooor... Snooorlaaaax
<Tsukikachu> Chuuu, chu chuuuu, tsuki-ka-chuuu.

Sutremaine
2009-06-15, 09:44 AM
If MiTD were a Pokemon, the only thing it would say is it's name, again and again.
Well, we know from Meowth that Pokemon are capable of human language. That would also explain why the hunters were surprised that it could speak, since talking Pokemon are so rare. :smallbiggrin:

Optimystik
2009-06-15, 10:24 AM
Exhaustion from using a powerful ability? :smallbiggrin:

I'm going with this theory, since it happened before. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0477.html)

:mitd:: "Nah, I'm really tired all of a sudden."

BillyJimBoBob
2009-06-15, 10:28 AM
You tell him!:smallsmile: I'll never understand why squirrels, Ohio, and people who comment on things just to say that they suck exist. But mostly that last one.:smallwink:Squirrels exist to be the only cute rodents on the planet. My experience with Ohio is largely limited to having a wheel bearing bust on me while in transit. The rental car agency, the hotel, and the auto shop were staffed by friendly, helpful personnel, so I'm not sure I'd qualify Ohio as a complete write-off. I can not comment on your third category.

Mant
2009-06-15, 11:42 AM
{Scrubbed}

recluso
2009-06-15, 01:59 PM
did we actually ever see a sound effect of someone sleeping in the comic?

Easy, V putting lots of goblins, Elan and Belkar to sleep in comic #10
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0010.html

But that is outside a speech bubble.

For effects inside (YAWNs) : O chul & Mitd sleeping in #550
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0550.html