PDA

View Full Version : Aye Matey: An Anti-Pirate Weapon (PEACH)

Vaynor
2006-07-21, 11:36 PM
Water Cannon

This device includes a Decanter of Endless Water, inserted into a cannon-like device. With a flap at the end, this cannon builds up water pressure, then shoots out a ball of water, dealing 1d6 subdual damage per round the water pressure is built up, for a maximum of 5d6 damage. For each additional damage die, an additional +1 attack bonus is added to the attack roll because of the enlarged size of the ball (no bonus is added for the first die). Any creature hit by this must make a Fortitude save (DC 15+# of die), or be knocked over and prone. Upon a critical hit, the ball is counted as hitting the head, and the creature must make a DC 12 Fortitude save or start to drown with a -2 penalty of rolls.

This weapon is usually enhanced with either shocking, or flaming, as it makes them more effective for what they do.

This weapon deals lethal damage to creatures with water vulnerability.

Moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, Prestidigitation, Control Water; Price 14,300gp; Weight 50 lbs.

Ok, please tell me what I did wrong!

Bookman
2006-07-21, 11:49 PM
Ok how can you have a "flaming" ball of water? I'm just saying........maybe just shocking (electricity does carry better through water) and whatever acid damage is called

Vaynor
2006-07-21, 11:50 PM
I actually don't know, probably the same way a weapon can have icy and fiery at the same time. ;)

Brickwall
2006-07-21, 11:51 PM
I like the idea of a giant ball of water sizzling with electricity being hurled at the deck of another ship. However, it seems to me it'd be more useful to just fill their ship with water by using a normal decanter. About the same amount of time too.

Bookman
2006-07-21, 11:53 PM
But but this is so much COOLER. And you could treat it as a weapon vs people while on land (can you imagine if it was vs fire creatures :o)

Vaynor
2006-07-21, 11:53 PM
This can knock masts over, and knock people out/over better though, and is more for tactical use.

InaVegt
2006-07-22, 12:07 AM
it's called nonlethal in 3.5[/nitpick] well, it's cool but maybe say it deals lethal damage to things with a vulnerabilty to water?

Vaynor
2006-07-22, 12:10 AM
I call it both off and on. :P

And great idea!

TheThan
2006-07-22, 12:13 AM
I'd just stick my thumb over the mouth of a decanter and make myself a water cannon. Like they use for crowd control in some places. I’d probably need to make some kind of strength check though.

Collin152
2006-07-22, 12:14 AM
Nice. Beats the crap out of my Ship artillery.

Brickwall
2006-07-22, 12:16 AM
Question: Wouldn't deck-mounted cannons be cheaper and more effective? Or even catapults and/or ballistae.

Vaynor
2006-07-22, 12:19 AM
Eh.... oh well....

Just an idea I had...

TheThan
2006-07-22, 12:32 AM
Speaking of deck mounted cannons… does anyone have the stats for cannons? Or know where i can find 'em? I have stormwrack but the bombards don’t seem to fit what I want. I’m looking more for cannons from like the 1700 and around that time.

alec
2006-07-22, 03:17 AM
I love the idea, and while a ballista may be more effective for the price, its hard to not kill someone with it. This is great for a pirate hunter to use to bring their mark in for a trial, followed by a hanging.

Cybren
2006-07-22, 03:19 AM
Does a decanter of endless water made distilled water?
Because distilled water isn't a conductor..

TheThan
2006-07-22, 03:21 AM
Nope you get fresh or salt water at your choice. That’s about it. Though it wouldn’t be too hard to make a decanter of distilled water.

martyboy74
2006-07-22, 09:45 AM
You should figure out a way to stick something else, like a hollow cannonball full of greek fire in it. If you hit the base of their mast with that stuff... :o

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-22, 10:10 AM
I dunno why it'd have to be flaming. A decanter of endless water shot into a ship... can anyone say 'Cappin', she be takin' on water?'

martyboy74
2006-07-22, 10:19 AM
VT, do you mean shooting the actual decanter, or the contents of the decanter. If you could get a decanter well-hidden, then yes that'd be awesome. If not, they'll just throw it back at you.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-22, 10:47 AM
VT, do you mean shooting the actual decanter, or the contents of the decanter.
Well, considering its contents are, what, the entire plane of water, probably the decanter would be best ;)

Vaynor
2006-07-22, 11:14 AM
VT, do you mean shooting the actual decanter, or the contents of the decanter. If you could get a decanter well-hidden, then yes that'd be awesome. If not, they'll just throw it back at you.
Rather hard to throw back a decanter spilling out a geyser of water, let alone close it.

martyboy74
2006-07-22, 11:25 AM
Nah, all you gotta do is tape a funnel on the opening, stick a rock in the end of the funnel, and point your rocket in the other ship's general direction.

Just make sure that the funnel isn't pointing at anything important.

Collin152
2006-07-23, 01:10 AM
Like your body. Or more specific body parts. But I doubt it can provide enough force to punch a hole in a ship. Regardless, its a mighty expensive cannonball.

Dervag
2006-07-23, 02:01 AM
Also, decanters of endless water would make wildly inaccurate rockets. Unless it was specifically designed with a 'rocket nozzle' neck of some sort, which people probably wouldn't even be able to design in a D&D world, it would rapidly start wobbling and tumbling in flight. It could end up going anywhere.

martyboy74
2006-07-23, 08:04 AM
Like your body. Or more specific body parts. But I doubt it can provide enough force to punch a hole in a ship. Regardless, its a mighty expensive cannonball.
It wouldn't need to puncture a hole in the ship's hull, although that would be nice. All it'd have to do would be land onboard and start spewing water all over the other ship.

Also, decanters of endless water would make wildly inaccurate rockets. Unless it was specifically designed with a 'rocket nozzle' neck of some sort, which people probably wouldn't even be able to design in a D&D world, it would rapidly start wobbling and tumbling in flight. It could end up going anywhere.
Hopefully the deck of a ship isn't too hard to hit. I may be wrong; I doubt that most people have shot one of those things. But, if you hit the deck, spinning might be good. If it's under constant pressure (probably, if a pint's a pound, then the plane of water's pretty heavy), then it'd spin around. Kind of like a machine gun.

Piotr_Zak
2006-07-23, 09:36 AM
Does a decanter of endless water made distilled water?
Because distilled water isn't a conductor..
Not a very *good* one. But water does autoionize enough to conduct slightly on its own.

martyboy74
2006-07-23, 10:00 AM
See the top of this page.