PDA

View Full Version : New to clerical casting

VirOath
2009-06-15, 04:39 AM
Simply put, I need help with picking cleric spells. All books are open, and that's the problem.

So if you could list your favorite spells per level, and the source book they are from, I would be in your debt!

AslanCross
2009-06-15, 04:51 AM
Most of these are core. Will reference when they aren't.
By level:

1. Protection from Evil, Divine Favor, Shield of Faith,
2. The animal buff spells (Bull's Strength, etc), Align Weapon, Hold Person, Resist Energy, Iron Silence (Spell Compendium), Healing Lorecall (SC)
3. Dispel Magic, Bestow curse, Searing Light, Prayer, Wind Wall, Grace (SC)
4. Divine Power, Air Walk, Restoration, Freedom of Movement
5. Righteous Might, Slay Living, Flame Strike, Earth Reaver (SC)
6. Heal, Blade Barrier, Antilife Shell, Cometfall (SC)
7. Holy Word, Regenerate, Destruction, Control Weather, Death Dragon (SC)
8. Firestorm, Earthquake, Visions of the Future (PHB2)
9. Implosion, Miracle, Gate, Storm of Vengeance

VirOath
2009-06-15, 05:00 AM
Thanks! Any more would be welcome. But I should have said in the first post that it's an evil character. That means Blasphemy rather than Holy Word, but does that change any other spells aside from the alignment based ones?

AslanCross
2009-06-15, 05:07 AM
Yeah, both have the same effects apart from their alignment specifics. Of course, a cleric can typically cast two of the "Word" spells. You could add Dictum if he's LE, or Word of Chaos if he's CE. Apart from that, nothing else changes.

Oh, I forgot. A level 5 spell: righteous wrath of the faithful from SC. It's one of the best mass buffs out there. Pretty much the cleric's version of haste, and then some.

mass conviction (Lv 3, SC) is also really good.

daggaz
2009-06-15, 05:19 AM
ditch protection from evil for magic circle against evil when you get it, of course.

Restoration is always smart to have handy in case somebody takes any ability damage. It sucks having to wait a full day to "fix" the wizard, when a single 1d4 often goes a long ways. If you dont use it, just convert it to a heal spell.

Likewise, neutralize poison is an absolute lifesaver in many situations.

There are some utility spells that are very handy as well in and out of battle. Stone shape comes to mind.

xPANCAKEx
2009-06-15, 05:43 AM
also - if you're playing an evil cleric definately look at blasphemy o(or holy word if you're good - but thats a bit trickier to play)

level 7 spell so don't worry about getting it just yet, but when you're in that neighbourhood definately look at it

TSED
2009-06-15, 05:48 AM
Vigour and its assorted versions are pretty sweet spells for out-of-combat healing. Complete Divine, I believe?

Talic
2009-06-15, 05:49 AM
Another few:

Sheltered Vitality (Spell Compendium)
Death Ward

Immunity to ability damage/ability drain/fatigue/exhaustion/death effects/energy drain?

Good.

AslanCross
2009-06-15, 08:13 AM
It may not be uber, but damning darkness (Lv 4, Lords of Madness) is a pretty flavorful spell. Darkness + unholy damage against good and neutral creatures is fun.

Master_Rahl22
2009-06-15, 09:07 AM
Second the Vigor series of spells from Complete Divine. Also from that book, Revenance is a great 4th level spell. You take a standard action to resurrect an ally that has fallen within 1 round/your level. They stand up with half HP, and are alive for 1 min/level with +1 to most things against whatever killed them. It's great for mid combat when "OH CRAP the fighter is down and now we're all gonna die!!!11one" and you can just use a regular Resurrect after they drop again. I'll also add my vote for the Neutralize Poison/Restoration/Remove Paralysis type spelss. You're generally the only one who can do that kind of stuff, so those are a must have to have memorized most of the time.

warmachine
2009-06-15, 09:16 AM
Lvl 2: Remove Paralysis. Fighters have naff Will saves against Hold Person.
Lvl 2: Silence. Cast on a stone carried by the Rogue or Fighter or on a strategic spot, you can usually **** over an enemy caster.

As others have pointed out, Deathward and Freedom of Movement are vital.

If you have the Good domain and your colleagues are Good, lvl 4: Holy Smite. Hit the enemy mob that's run past your fighter with an area effect and not worry about hurting your colleagues.

Duke of URL
2009-06-15, 10:36 AM
If you're a goody-goody facing evil outsiders or undead, just about any of the spells from BoED would probably be helpful.