PDA

View Full Version : Powermetalist: A Core Class

zeratul547
2006-07-17, 03:13 AM
This was just a random core class I made in spite of my DM attempting to get me to play the Papermaster class.

I'm pretty sure this is horribly broken, as it was created as a joke. If y'all want to unbreak it or something of that sort, feel free.
Forgive the formatting, this was done in notepad.

POWERMETALIST
Fort Ref Will – same as bard
1 Sonic Shriek, Guitar Mastery, Shredding [2/day]
2 Amplification, Performance
3 Metal Toughness
4 Shredding [3/day]
5 Shatter
7 Shredding [4/day]
9 Shredding [5/day]
10 Wicked Bass
11 Play Death Metal, Extra Shredding [6/day]
12 Sonic Touch
13 Play Thrash Metal
14 Shredding [8/day]
15 Metalheads, Captivate
16 Turn to Metal
17 Overpower Spells
18 Powermetal Mastery
19 Sonic Explosion
20 Become the Metal, Killer Shredding

Skills - 2+int
Class skills - same as Bard, 'cept add Perform [Metal Guitar] (cha)
Proficient with Light Armor and Guitars.
BAB 3/4ths progression

Sonic Shriek
Once per day, you call out powermetal vocals.
This deals 1d4/lvl sonic damage and is a standard action.
Enemies must be able to hear you.
Guitar Mastery
Instead of making a normal attack roll, make a
Perform [Metal Guitar] check.
on a 10, do 1d4 sonic damage.
on a 20, do 1d6 sonic damage.
on a 25, do 1d8 sonic damage.
on a 30, do 1d10 sonic damage.
on a 35, do 2d8 sonic damage.
on a 40, do 1d20+5 sonic damage.
Add your Cha bonus to damage instead of Str.
Shredding
Shredding is a supernatural ability.
Shredding is a full-round action that provokes
attacks of opportunity. At level 1, shredding
acts as a Charm Person spell on all foes within
10ft. At level 10, this improves to stunning.
At level 15, this ability releases such great
sonic power that it stuns, confuses, and deafens
all foes. At level 20, foes make a fortitude save
(dc20) or die ("Killer Shredding").
Performance
A Powermetalist of 6th level can perform a song
with a successful Perform [Metal Guitar] check.
(DC20). It is considered a full-round action to
maintain the song and can be maintained with a successful
perform check [dc15] each round. The song causes a
50% chance to disrupt spells
with a verbal component. Party members can
ignore this with a successful concentration check
as they are used to the Powermetalist's abilities.
Performance is considered to be a sonic attack.
Amplification
Amplification is a supernatural ability.
The sonic powers of a Powermetalist
cause his voice and guitar to be heard
at extreme volumes in a 100ft sphere centered
on the Powermetalist.
Metal Toughness
The Powermetalist is so resilient that he has
DR5 against sonic damage and gains +1 natural armor.
Shatter
The Powermetalist may Sunder as if they had the feat.
No prereqs required.
Wicked Bass
The Powermetalist's attacks overcome damage reduction.
Play Death Metal
Anyone suffering sonic damage from a Powermetalist's
attacks or abilities must make a fortitude save
(dc15) or be deafened for 3d4 rounds.
Play Thrash Metal
Anyone failing a save against the Play Death Metal
ability also becomes stunned for 1d4 rounds.
Metalheads
The Powermetalist's playing is so powerful, all party
members who can hear the Powermetalist's song gain
+1 to AC and +4 to fort saves due to their resistance
to the metal, and deal sonic damage with weapons for the
purposes of sundering, attacking an object with hardness, or
overcoming damage reduction.
Captivate
Enemies with less than 5HD who can hear the song
ability of a Powermetalist become captivated and
compelled to obey as long as the song is playing.
Turn to Metal
Once per day for 1 round/level, a Powermetalist
can turn any material into metal with a successful
perform [Metal Guitar] check.
Overpower Spells
At level 17, the Powermetalist's song is so loud
that it automatically dispels all spells with a
verbal component, including party member spells,
unless the caster succeeds at a DC25 concentration
check.
Powermetal Mastery
The Powermetalist's metal becomes so awesome and loud
that his song range is increased by 50ft, goes through
walls, and the powermetalist gains the Leadership feat for free,
and gains a reroll once per day on any Perform [Metal Guitar]
check he makes. He also begins to look like an extremely
deathly metal-master [see: Marilyn Manson] and gains a +2 bonus to
all charisma-based checks. He can now use his Song ability
to do 1d6 damage/round to all objects and creatures for up to
10 rounds a day. This ability ignores hardness and damage reduction.
Sonic Explosion
The sonic power of a Powermetalist's Shredding attacks begin
to disrupt the organs of living beings and causing sonic waves
of disruption in the structures of nonliving beings. Anyone
struck by the Song ability of a Powermetalist must make
a fort save (DC20) or take maximum damage from the attack.
Become the Metal
The Powermetalist becomes a supernatural being and gains
complete resistance to sonic attacks. He is considered deaf
and can no longer speak. He becomes metallic and gains
DR15/+5, and his Shredding attack now damages everything
on adjacent planes with the Powermetalist's current plane.
His song attack now deals 2d8/round for up to 20 rounds/day.
The Powermetalist's Shredding attack is so powerful it now
deals 2d20 damage to foes who are not instantly killed (dc20), and may only be used twice a day.
He can no longer wear armor, but gains a +10 natural armor
bonus to AC.

Prestige Classes

By ExHunterEmerald:

DRAGON OF THE FORCE [Prestige]

A Powermetalist taking the Dragon of the Force class has turned his playing into a battle of good and evil, with speed and force unmatched.

Prerequisites: 20 levels of Powermetalist, any non-evil alignment
Saves, BAB: As Epic Bard
A Dragon of the Force has the following abilities:
Level Ability
1 How the Hell Do They Play That Fast
2 Soldier of the Wasteland
3 Audio-Asskicking 1
4 Fury of the Storm
5 Audio-Asskicking 2
6 Heart of a Dragon
7 Audio-Asskicking 3
8 Through the Fire and Flames
9 My Spirit Will Go On
10 Master On High

How the Hell Do They Play That Fast (Ex): A Dragon of the Force can play insanely fast, beyond the laws of physics and even friction . A Dragon of the Force is treated as under the effects of Haste constantly.

Soldier of the Wasteland (Ex): The electric guitar of the DotF is treated as a +3 Holy Good-aligned Vorpal Adamantium axe. Furthermore, the guitar cannot be sundered, and the DotF cannot be disarmed.

Audio-Asskicking: A DotF researches powers of rock mightier than the Gods, and gains insight into them as he grows in might. Choose from Valley of the Damned, Sonic Firestorm, and Inhuman Rampage. You gain abilities based on your choice, and develop from your choice as you advance.
Valley of the Damned (Ex): You can turn undead as a cleric of your level. Your guitar is your symbol.
Sonic Firestorm (Sp): You gain the ability to cast any fire-based non-epic spells as a supernatural ability, as a spellcaster of your level.
Inhuman Rampage (Ex): You gain the rage ability, as a barbarian of your level. Your Charisma is used instead of your Constitution for duration.

Fury of the Storm (Sp): By playing your guitar with righteous fury, you can control weather. As the spell control weather, but after the ten minutes of "casting," the effects begin immediately, and end as soon as you stop playing. Furthermore, you control what weather event happens, even if it's out of season. You are immune to your own Fury of the Storm.

Audio-Asskicking 2: You develop farther in your chosen path.
Valley of the Damned (Ex): You turn undead as if you had the Improved Turning feat, and Empowered Turning.
Sonic Firestorm (Sp): Your fire spells are treated as being used with any one metamagic feat you choose at the time of casting.
Inhuman Rampage (Ex): You gain three rage feats of your choice. Your Charisma is used instead of your Constitution for duration.

Heart of a Dragon: You gain a divine dragon mount. Furthermore, you may turn evil dragons as you turn undead, and all negotiations with dragons begin with a +1 disposition bonus.

Audio-Asskicking 3: You have mastered your chosen path.
Valley of the Damned (Ex): You are treated as having every single turning feat. You bad.
Sonic Firestorm (Sp): You may apply any and all metamagic feats to your Sonic Firestorm ability. You hot.
Inhuman Rampage (Ex:) You are treated as having every single rage feat when you rage. You angry.

Through the Fire and Flames (Ex): Your righteous power makes you strengths you against elemental damage. You have a resistance of 25 to any elemental damage source.

My Spirit Will Go On (Ex): Your faith in the power of rock is unstoppable. If you are killed, you are restored in 1d10 days with all of your gear.

Master on High (Su): Once a year, you may summon the rock gods to you. The six of them hear your plea, and come to do battle against the forces of evil. You basically kill whatever you're fighting against, because it'd be impossible to stat the six members of Dragonforce using mundane numbers. Oh, and Pun-Pun dies if he's fighting you.

By zeratul547

PRIEST OF RHAPSODY [Prestige]
Prerequisites
-Con 18
-Level 20 Powermetalist
-20 ranks Perform [Metal Guitar]
-Must worship Rhapsody [domains War, Law, Good]
-Alignment: Any Good
BAB/HD/Saves – same as Epic Bard

1 Set your Guitar on Fire [5d6], Soul of Tharos
2 Wisdom of the Kings
3 For the Glory of my Magic Steel
4 Flames of Revenge
5 Eternal Glory, Set your Guitar on Fire [10d6]
7 Rise from the Sea of Flames
8 Emerald Sword
9 Rain of a Thousand Flames
10 Power of the Dragonflame, The Immortal Fire, Set your Guitar on Fire [20d6]

Set your Guitar on Fire
All attacks made with the Priest of Rhapsody’s guitar now deals additional fire damage as well as normal sonic damage (5d6 at level one, 10d6 at level 5, 20d6 at level 10). This effect may be used 3 times per day.
Soul of Tharos
At level one, the Priest of Rhapsody gains resistance to fire 10. This is a supernatural ability and is also bestowed upon the PoR’s guitar.
Wisdom of the Kings
At level two, the Priest of Rhapsody gains the wisdom of kings, living and dead. He gains an inherent +2 bonus to all wisdom based checks, and a +5 bonus to diplomacy.
For the Glory of my Magic Steel
At level three, the Priest of Rhapsody’s guitar becomes magic steel. It cannot be sundered and and permanently lit aflame, allowing the PoR to add his Set your Guitar on Fire damage to his attack without daily limits. He is not affected by the flames due to the Soul of Tharos ability.
Flames of Revenge
At level four, the Priest of Rhapsody gains the Flames of Revenge ability. If the PoR is ever slain, his guitar explodes in a mass swarm of flames - the slayer takes 15d6 fire damage, and the body is burnt to the point where it can still be resurrected as if the body was present, but cannot be used for any other purpose [such as animate dead]. His guitar is destroyed in the process, and he must spend 10 days of work in order to pull another guitar out of his massive hair.
Eternal Glory
At level five, the Priest of Rhapsody gains the Diehard feat for free, whether he meets the prerequisites or not.
Rise from the Sea of Flames
The Priest of Rhapsody begins to absorb flame attacks. Rather than taking damage, he is now healed by mundane fire damage.
Emerald Sword
At level eight, the Priest of Rhapsody’s guitar becomes an Emerald Sword [details below].
Rain of a Thousand Flames
At level nine, the Priest of Rhapsody may use the Rain of a Thousand Flames ability once per week. Upon a successful Perform [Metal Guitar] check (dc30), Flames rain down within a hundred foot circle centered on the PoR. These flames are magical and overcome resistance to fire, and lasts for 4 rounds. Anyone in the storm of magical fire is bestowed many negative effects:
First round: 5d6 fire damage.
Second round: additional 5d6 fire damage, half speed
Third round: additional 10d6 fire damage; all items that can be affected by fire are destroyed
Fourth round: All foes in the range must make a fortitude save (dc25) or be consumed by the flames.
The PoR is unaffected by his own rain. Maintaining the rain is a full round action and summoning it requires two full-round actions.
Power of the Dragonflame
At level ten, the Priest of Rhapsody gains the ability to use an ancient red wyrm’s breath attack [see monster manual]. This is a supernatural ability.
The Immortal Fire
The PoR becomes a Fire Elemental. His body becomes constantly consumed in magical flames which cannot be doused. Anything coming in contact with him take 5d6 fire damage.

Weapon: The Emerald Sword
In the hands of any non-good aligned character, this weapon deals damage to the wielder upon any successful attack. In the hands of any good-aligned character, this performs as a +5 flaming burst longsword with a crit of 19-20x4. In the hands of a Priest of Rhapsody, however, this becomes the Emerald Sword, a magical +5 flaming burst burning holy blessed keen metal guitar with a critical damage of x5. Once created, it is the only guitar a Priest of Rhapsody can use to maintain his awesome powers. If it is destroyed, a Priest of Rhapsody must use his powers for twenty full days to create a new one with his massive powers. It weighs 40lb in the hands on a non-PoR, but weighs nothing in the hands of the PoR it was made for. Each guitar is personalized and extends the Song ability of the PoR’s Powermetalist class to 300ft. It deals 1d4 normal damage, but can be utilized by the class abilities of the Powermetalist to do according damage instead of the 1d4.

[b] By MrSeth

DISCIPLE OF LORD ALICE (Prestige)

Prerequisites:
*Level 20 Powermetalist
*20 ranks in Perform (Metal Guitar)
*10 ranks in Intimidate
*Must worship Lord Alice (CN; Fire, Chaos, Destruction and Death domains)
Alignment: Any Chaotic

The Disciples of Lord Alice are mischaracterized as being cannibalistic freaks who live for death and destruction. Not so. Sure, they believe that by eating a small part of a worthy foe they gain some of his strength. They enjoy - very, VERY thouroughly - the art of pounding the wicked and tyrranical into the earth, so that their master can punish them in the hereafter. And, yes, they're grim and brutal, but...
...wait, I was going somewhere with this. Hold on a while, let me think of it.

1 Welcome to my Nightmare
2 The Black Widow
3 Brutal Planet, No More Mr. Nice Guy
4 Triggerman
6 Pessi-mystic
7 Feed My Frankenstein
8 Sentinel, Every Woman Has a Name
10 I Just Wanna Be God

Welcome to my Nightmare - The Disciple of Lord Alice is given a flash of vision of the Eighth Hell - Dragontown - and find an odd sense of belonging in the grisly images. The DoLA gains immunity to fear effects, and gains a +4 to Intimidate checks.

The Black Widow - The DoLA's Electic Guitar reshapes itself, becoming a lesser imitation of Lord Alice's own axe. It is treated as a +4 Thundering Anarchic Cold Iron axe, and cannot be sundered or removed from the DoLA's person. In addition, the weight of the Black Widow does not add to the DoLA's weight limits, and the wielder of the Black Widow can cast Spider climb at will.

Brutal Planet - The DoLA is now used to the ravages of an incessantly brutal, unforgiving planet. They gain a +2 on all fortitude saves and are immune to the effects of hot weather; however, their grisly nature now gives them a -4 to all Diplomacy, Perform (comedy) and Perform (interperative dance) checks.

No More Mr. Nice Guy - The DoLA now knows that his music is a terrible weapon, and has no qualms about using it as such. His Sonic Shriek now does double damage.

Triggerman - The DoLA is considered proficient with all ranged weapons; in addition, at this level they begin to manifest physical changes. They no longer bleed, and are immune to Wounding weapons and poisons, and can choose to disguise their features as with a Disguise self spell at will; however, their altered appearance is always the same... a blank, featureless mask where their face was.

Pessi-mystic - The DoLA gains spell resistance equal to his hit dice.

Feed My Frankenstein - If the DoLA consumes some small part of a foe he has defeated with his Powermetalist abilities - a lock of hair, fingernails, a small bone - he gains a number of hit points equal to 1/2 that foe's CR. In addition, he gains a temporary CHA bonus equal to 1/5th that foe's CR for purposes of his Sonic Shriek attack.

Sentinel - The DoLA gains dr5/-. At this stage his physical changes grow far more striking - he becomes lean and wiry, and dark scars grow around his eyes and at the corners of his mouth. His hair begins to grow wildly, making it very difficult to wear helmets (3x donning time, and are always treated as being donned hastily).

Every Woman Has a Name - And the DoLA knows them all. By looking at any female sentient being with an intelligence of at least 3, the DoLA immediately knows all names that woman is known by, including her truename.
(NOTE: Although without any ranks in Truespeak, the DoLA would most likely not be able to pronounce said name!)

I Just Wanna Be God - the DoLA that survives this far becomes a diety of divine rank 1. He is now under direct command of Lord Alice, for good or ill.

Soul_of_Ice
2006-07-17, 12:50 PM
My favorite character has a heavy metal theme going on. He has a sonic +1 greataxe/guitar. My DM let me apply 1d3 sonic damage when he plays music. So on a really good roll I could kill all the Kobold children within a 60ft radius.

So what band/guitarist are you basing the class off of? Yngwie Malmsteen?

Baar_Dau
2006-07-17, 01:32 PM
Oh. My. God.

Psiwave
2006-07-17, 02:16 PM
lol, this class should go all the way up to 11 21!

Artisan
2006-07-17, 02:46 PM
+5 Axe of Thrashing!

("AND THE DRAGON COMES IN THE NIIIIIGHT!")

Thomas
2006-07-17, 03:01 PM
What, no Sacred Power of the Raging Winds as a class feature?

The Prince of Cats
2006-07-17, 03:14 PM
lol, this class should go all the way up to 11 21!
No, but you need to build a scale-model of Stonehenge before cranking it up advancing to 11...

zeratul547
2006-07-17, 03:49 PM
This whole idea was based off of Rhapsody and Dragonforce, really.

No Sacred Power of the Raging Winds, but you could rename "Shredding" to "Fury of the Storm" if you so desire.

Averem
2006-07-17, 05:51 PM
Oh, there you are Rivettovski. I was wondering when you'd show up.

And I was daring you to play a papermaster, because it would be just rediculous in the campaign setting I made. But you beat me at that game, hands down.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-07-17, 06:27 PM
This is a good basic metal class, let me try one.

Dragonforce Epic Power Metal
Level one: You win D&D.

I had to gimp it as much as I could for game balance, sorry...

Edit: All fanboyism aside, you could make prestige classes based off certain bands' styles.
For instance, Dragonforce style would provide speed bonuses, haste, and the like. And dragon control.

MrSeth
2006-07-17, 06:37 PM
This whole idea was based off of Rhapsody and Dragonforce, really.

Fightforthetruthandthefreedom-GLORIAAAAAA~!

Fuggin' OSSOME concept... I was working on something similar, but too mired in the core Bard's class features. I love it... and yeah, you could easily create subclasses for various styles. Think of it as a cleric thing, following one of the varied Gods of Rock.

Myself, I'd run a Disciple of Lord Alice, the black-eyed warden of the Eighth Hell - Dragontown.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-07-17, 06:42 PM
You know, this merits some thought.
I'm gonna try and make at least one Metalist PrC. I'll make the 20 levels of Powermetalist prerequisite, which means the powers of the class are going to be insane...

TheThan
2006-07-17, 07:30 PM
Buwahaha
Don’t forget to add “rock opera” and “power ballad” as class features to the prestige classes.

Randomman413
2006-07-17, 07:41 PM
At Level one, they should get an enchanted electric guitar automatically. A battleaxe enchanted with permanent ghost sound useable at will.

Soul_of_Ice
2006-07-17, 08:09 PM
Ah Dragonforce.

For people who like songs about traveling across universe at variable speeds!

nougat
2006-07-17, 08:13 PM
Listening to Dragonforce is like playing DnD with your ears

zeratul547
2006-07-17, 08:46 PM
At Level one, they should get an enchanted electric guitar automatically. A battleaxe enchanted with permanent ghost sound useable at will.

How does a Bonus Feat [Forge Metal Guitar] at level one sound? DC20 Perform [Metal Guitar] check to pull a guitar out of his massive hair [which would be a good Prestige prereq] (it would also be quite a performance, to see someone pulling a guitar out of their hair).

ExHunterEmerald
2006-07-17, 08:50 PM
Okay, here's my first try. It's VERY overpowered, but then the prereqs are heavy, so this would be well into epics...
Dragon of the Force
A Powermetalist taking the Dragon of the Force class has turned his playing into a battle of good and evil, with speed and force unmatched.

Prerequisites: 20 levels of Powermetalist, any non-evil alignment
Saves, BAB: As Epic Bard
A Dragon of the Force has the following abilities:
Level Ability
1 How the Hell Do They Play That Fast
2 Soldier of the Wasteland
3 Audio-Asskicking 1
4 Fury of the Storm
5 Audio-Asskicking 2
6 Heart of a Dragon
7 Audio-Asskicking 3
8 Through the Fire and Flames
9 My Spirit Will Go On
10 Master On High

How the Hell Do They Play That Fast (Ex): A Dragon of the Force can play insanely fast, beyond the laws of physics and even friction . A Dragon of the Force is treated as under the effects of Haste constantly.

Soldier of the Wasteland (Ex): The electric guitar of the DotF is treated as a +3 Holy Good-aligned Vorpal Adamantium axe. Furthermore, the guitar cannot be sundered, and the DotF cannot be disarmed.

Audio-Asskicking: A DotF researches powers of rock mightier than the Gods, and gains insight into them as he grows in might. Choose from Valley of the Damned, Sonic Firestorm, and Inhuman Rampage. You gain abilities based on your choice, and develop from your choice as you advance.
Valley of the Damned (Ex): You can turn undead as a cleric of your level. Your guitar is your symbol.
Sonic Firestorm (Sp): You gain the ability to cast any fire-based non-epic spells as a supernatural ability, as a spellcaster of your level.
Inhuman Rampage (Ex): You gain the rage ability, as a barbarian of your level. Your Charisma is used instead of your Constitution for duration.

Fury of the Storm (Sp): By playing your guitar with righteous fury, you can control weather. As the spell control weather, but after the ten minutes of "casting," the effects begin immediately, and end as soon as you stop playing. Furthermore, you control what weather event happens, even if it's out of season. You are immune to your own Fury of the Storm.

Audio-Asskicking 2: You develop farther in your chosen path.
Valley of the Damned (Ex): You turn undead as if you had the Improved Turning feat, and Empowered Turning.
Sonic Firestorm (Sp): Your fire spells are treated as being used with any one metamagic feat you choose at the time of casting.
Inhuman Rampage (Ex): You gain three rage feats of your choice. Your Charisma is used instead of your Constitution for duration.

Heart of a Dragon: You gain a divine dragon mount. Furthermore, you may turn evil dragons as you turn undead, and all negotiations with dragons begin with a +1 disposition bonus.

Audio-Asskicking 3: You have mastered your chosen path.
Valley of the Damned (Ex): You are treated as having every single turning feat. You bad.
Sonic Firestorm (Sp): You may apply any and all metamagic feats to your Sonic Firestorm ability. You hot.
Inhuman Rampage (Ex:) You are treated as having every single rage feat when you rage. You angry.

Through the Fire and Flames (Ex): Your righteous power strengthens you against elemental damage. You have a resistance of 25 to any elemental damage source.

My Spirit Will Go On (Ex): Your faith in the power of rock is unstoppable. If you are killed, you are restored in 1d10 days with all of your gear.

Master on High (Su): Once a year, you may summon the rock gods to you. The six of them hear your plea, and come to do battle against the forces of evil. You basically kill whatever you're fighting against, because it'd be impossible to stat the six members of Dragonforce using mundane numbers. Oh, and Pun-Pun dies if he's fighting you.

Overpowered? What are you talking about, It's not ovepowered at all! :D
I obviously ran out of steam near the end, but I still say it's not accurate to how mighty the Force is...

zeratul547
2006-07-17, 08:53 PM
That is classy, Emerald. I think I'll add it to the first post.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-07-17, 08:54 PM
WOO! :D
Glad to see there's a huge Dragonforce following out there.
4chan has a bunch of whiny losers who don't like it. Bah, if it hurts your ears, go back to Tiny Tim.

zeratul547
2006-07-17, 08:57 PM
Well, considering I came here from 4chan, I tell you, some are still faithful to the lords of Powermetal!

zeratul547
2006-07-17, 09:45 PM
For you Rhapsody Fans out there:

PRIEST OF RHAPSODY [Prestige]
Prerequisites
-Con 15
-Level 20 Powermetalist
-20 ranks Perform [Metal Guitar]
-Must worship Rhapsody [domains War, Law, Good]
-Alignment: Any Good

1 Set your Guitar on Fire [5d6], Soul of Tharos
2 Wisdom of the Kings
3 For the Glory of my Magic Steel
4 Flames of Revenge
5 Eternal Glory, Set your Guitar on Fire [10d6]
7 Rise from the Sea of Flames
8 Emerald Sword
9 Rain of a Thousand Flames
10 Power of the Dragonflame, The Immortal Fire, Set your Guitar on Fire [20d6]

Set your Guitar on Fire
All attacks made with the Priest of Rhapsody’s guitar now deals additional fire damage as well as normal sonic damage (5d6 at level one, 10d6 at level 5, 20d6 at level 10). This effect may be used 3 times per day.
Soul of Tharos
At level one, the Priest of Rhapsody gains resistance to fire 10. This is a supernatural ability and is also bestowed upon the PoR’s guitar.
Wisdom of the Kings
At level two, the Priest of Rhapsody gains the wisdom of kings, living and dead. He gains an inherent +2 bonus to all wisdom based checks, and a +5 bonus to diplomacy.
For the Glory of my Magic Steel
At level three, the Priest of Rhapsody’s guitar becomes magic steel. It cannot be sundered and and permanently lit aflame, allowing the PoR to add his Set your Guitar on Fire damage to his attack without daily limits. He is not affected by the flames due to the Soul of Tharos ability.
Flames of Revenge
At level four, the Priest of Rhapsody gains the Flames of Revenge ability. If the PoR is ever slain, his guitar explodes in a mass swarm of flames - the slayer takes 15d6 fire damage, and the body is burnt to the point where it can still be resurrected as if the body was present, but cannot be used for any other purpose [such as animate dead]. His guitar is destroyed in the process, and he must spend 10 days of work in order to pull another guitar out of his massive hair.
Eternal Glory
At level five, the Priest of Rhapsody gains the Diehard feat for free, whether he meets the prerequisites or not.
Rise from the Sea of Flames
The Priest of Rhapsody begins to absorb flame attacks. Rather than taking damage, he is now healed by mundane [but not magical] fire damage.
Emerald Sword
At level eight, the Priest of Rhapsody’s guitar becomes an Emerald Sword [details below].
Rain of a Thousand Flames
At level nine, the Priest of Rhapsody may use the Rain of a Thousand Flames ability once per week. Upon a successful Perform [Metal Guitar] check (dc30), Flames rain down within a hundred foot circle centered on the PoR. These flames are magical and overcome resistance to fire, and lasts for 4 rounds. Anyone in the storm of magical fire is bestowed many negative effects:
First round: 5d6 fire damage.
Second round: additional 5d6 fire damage, half speed
Third round: additional 10d6 fire damage; all items that can be affected by fire are destroyed
Fourth round: All foes in the range must make a fortitude save (dc25) or be consumed by the flames.
The PoR is unaffected by his own rain. Maintaining the rain is a full round action and summoning it requires two full-round actions.
Power of the Dragonflame
At level ten, the Priest of Rhapsody gains the ability to use an ancient red wyrm’s breath attack [see monster manual]. This is a supernatural ability.
The Immortal Fire
The PoR becomes a Fire Elemental. His body becomes constantly consumed in magical flames which cannot be doused. Anything coming in contact with him take 5d6 fire damage.

Weapon: The Emerald Sword
In the hands of any non-good aligned character, this weapon deals damage to the wielder upon any successful attack. In the hands of any good-aligned character, this performs as a +5 flaming burst longsword with a crit of 19-20x4. In the hands of a Priest of Rhapsody, however, this becomes the Emerald Sword, a magical +5 flaming burst burning holy blessed keen metal guitar with a critical damage of x5. Once created, it is the only guitar a Priest of Rhapsody can use to maintain his awesome powers. If it is destroyed, a Priest of Rhapsody must use his powers for twenty full days to create a new one with his massive powers. It weighs 40lb in the hands on a non-PoR, but weighs nothing in the hands of the PoR it was made for. Each guitar is personalized and extends the Song ability of the PoR’s Powermetalist class to 300ft. It deals 1d4 normal damage, but can be utilized by the class abilities of the Powermetalist to do according damage instead of the 1d4.

Let me know if it's got any major flaws.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-07-17, 09:47 PM
Why not make the weapon flaming burst for Set Your Guitar On Fire?

And I just had an idea for Blind Guardian. Gotta work on it...

MrSeth
2006-07-18, 12:08 AM
Ah, what the hell. For the Alice Cooper fans out there...

DISCIPLE OF LORD ALICE (Prestige)
Prerequisites:
*Level 20 Powermetalist
*20 ranks in Perform (Metal Guitar)
*10 ranks in Intimidate
*Must worship Lord Alice (CN; Fire, Chaos, Destruction and Death domains)
Alignment: Any Chaotic

The Disciples of Lord Alice are mischaracterized as being cannibalistic freaks who live for death and destruction. Not so. Sure, they believe that by eating a small part of a worthy foe they gain some of his strength. They enjoy - very, VERY thouroughly - the art of pounding the wicked and tyrranical into the earth, so that their master can punish them in the hereafter. And, yes, they're grim and brutal, but...
...wait, I was going somewhere with this. Hold on a while, let me think of it.

1 Welcome to my Nightmare
2 The Black Widow
3 Brutal Planet, No More Mr. Nice Guy
4 Triggerman
6 Pessi-mystic
7 Feed My Frankenstein
8 Sentinel, Every Woman Has a Name
10 I Just Wanna Be God

Welcome to my Nightmare - The Disciple of Lord Alice is given a flash of vision of the Eighth Hell - Dragontown - and find an odd sense of belonging in the grisly images. The DoLA gains immunity to fear effects, and gains a +4 to Intimidate checks.

The Black Widow - The DoLA's Electic Guitar reshapes itself, becoming a lesser imitation of Lord Alice's own axe. It is treated as a +4 Thundering Anarchic Cold Iron axe, and cannot be sundered or removed from the DoLA's person. In addition, the weight of the Black Widow does not add to the DoLA's weight limits, and the wielder of the Black Widow can cast Spider climb at will.

Brutal Planet - The DoLA is now used to the ravages of an incessantly brutal, unforgiving planet. They gain a +2 on all fortitude saves and are immune to the effects of hot weather; however, their grisly nature now gives them a -4 to all Diplomacy, Perform (comedy) and Perform (interperative dance) checks.

No More Mr. Nice Guy - The DoLA now knows that his music is a terrible weapon, and has no qualms about using it as such. His Sonic Shriek now does double damage.

Triggerman - The DoLA is considered proficient with all ranged weapons; in addition, at this level they begin to manifest physical changes. They no longer bleed, and are immune to Wounding weapons and poisons, and can choose to disguise their features as with a Disguise self spell at will; however, their altered appearance is always the same... a blank, featureless mask where their face was.

Pessi-mystic - The DoLA gains spell resistance equal to his hit dice.

Feed My Frankenstein - If the DoLA consumes some small part of a foe he has defeated with his Powermetalist abilities - a lock of hair, fingernails, a small bone - he gains a number of hit points equal to 1/2 that foe's CR. In addition, he gains a temporary CHA bonus equal to 1/5th that foe's CR for purposes of his Sonic Shriek attack.

Sentinel - The DoLA gains dr5/-. At this stage his physical changes grow far more striking - he becomes lean and wiry, and dark scars grow around his eyes and at the corners of his mouth. His hair begins to grow wildly, making it very difficult to wear helmets (3x donning time, and are always treated as being donned hastily).

Every Woman Has a Name - And the DoLA knows them all. By looking at any female sentient being with an intelligence of at least 3, the DoLA immediately knows all names that woman is known by, including her truename.
(NOTE: Although without any ranks in Truespeak, the DoLA would most likely not be able to pronounce said name!)

I Just Wanna Be God - the DoLA that survives this far becomes a diety of divine rank 1. He is now under direct command of Lord Alice, for good or ill.

zeratul547
2006-07-18, 01:31 AM
Nice. Added to the list.

Soul_of_Ice
2006-07-18, 09:01 AM
It would be cool to see someone make a Manowar class called the Man O' Warrior which would be some kind of cross between Fighter and Barbarian.

May your sword stay wet like a young ....

Not sure if I should finish the line. Haha.

OzymandiasVolt
2006-07-18, 09:08 AM
Two words: freaking sweet.
(Alternatelty, "rock on".)

epiclvlpirateninja
2006-07-18, 12:02 PM
This reminds me of my ghettofabulist prestige class, designed for a leprechaun bard that was black and had perform (freestyle and breakdance). Skills included the ability to blind people with bling or enchant it, the ability to reroll skill checks if an opposed skill check beat it, the bitch slap attack (like sneak attack) that later automatically followed any successful step-up... yeah.

I personally don't know why my brother, who's a total metalhead, hasn't done anything like the Dragonforce or Metalhead classes. I would have totally expected somethiong like that by now...

ExHunterEmerald
2006-07-18, 09:39 PM
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE.

Ahem!
I'm puzzling out a few more classes.
There's Blinded Guardian, Wish in the Night, Man of War, and several others. Anyone mind if I bump this a few more times while I work on them?

decemberism
2006-07-18, 09:48 PM
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE.

Ahem!
I'm puzzling out a few more classes.
There's Blinded Guardian, Wish in the Night, Man of War, and several others. Anyone mind if I bump this a few more times while I work on them?

You could've mentioned the Follower of Luca Turilli.

Randomman413
2006-07-18, 09:48 PM
I'm quite sure that absolutely no one at all would mind keeping this thread around for some time to come.

ExHunterEmerald
2006-07-18, 09:51 PM
Just add your own, 12. You'll have a few, I'm sure.

decemberism
2006-07-18, 09:53 PM
I'm workin' on something. Granted, nearly everything's been used, so!

MrSeth
2006-07-18, 10:12 PM
Nearly everything? I resent that remark!

No one has mentioned the Holy Church of the Piper, and the great God Zepp that he serves! Not one has called upon Awk the Lion-Throated! And not a single poster has even touched upon the primevil master of darkness that is Slayer!

That is, Led Zeppelin, Andrew W.K., and... duh... Slayer. Granted, El Zeppio isn't Powermetal, and AWK is more classic ballad with a freaky screaming voice... but my point remains!

(EDIT: I dunno how that happened. It sent it before I was done...)

decemberism
2006-07-18, 10:17 PM
Nearly everything? I resent that remark!

No one has mentioned the Holy Church of the Piper, and the great God Zepp that he serves! Not one has called upon Awk the Lion-Throated! And not a single poster has even touched upon the primevil master of darkness that is Slayer!

That is, Led Zeppelin, Andrew W.K., and... duh... Slayer. Granted, El Zeppio isn't Powermetal, and AWK is more classic ballad with a freaky screaming voice... but my point remains!

(EDIT: I dunno how that happened. It sent it before I was done...)

I meant along the lines of abilities and whatnot. Heh.

MrSeth
2006-07-18, 11:17 PM
I meant along the lines of abilities and whatnot. Heh.

I wouldn't say that. There's a whole lotta abilities out there.

The Rhapsody class is big on flames and damage. The DF class is... well, actually 3 in one, Metal Cleric, Metal Sorcerer, and Metal Barbarian. The DoLA class is big on intimidate, immunity, and the Sonic Shriek power. Each one has a Godlike ending, which is pretty appropriate.

HOWEVER, there's no summon-heavy PRC (I would say Metallica if I didn't hate their guts... Harvesters, Things that Should Not Be, Sandmen, they've got their own little compendium grown already), there's no "tank" class, although each class does allow some immunities/reductions/etc. There's no Nomad-type class, and there's no specific-enemy classes.

TSGames
2006-07-18, 11:42 PM
D'yer Mak'er[Prestige Class]

Prerequisites: 20 levels of Power Metalist
Alignment cannot be Lawful or Evil
Saves, BAB:as epic bard.
A D'yer Mak'er has the following class abilities
1.No Quarter[1]
2.Communication Breakdown
3.Trampled Under Foot
4.Over the Hills and Far Away
5.Dazed and Confused, No Quarter[2]
6.Whole Lot of Love
7.Misty Mountain Hop/The Ocean
8.What is and What Should Never Be
9.Achilles Last Stand, No Quarter[3]
10.Stairway to Heaven

No Quarter-(ex) A D'yer Mak'er has learned to use the power of rock to enable him overcome all tasks and obstacles. A D'yer Mak'er adds a bonus equal to his D’yer Mak’er level to any fortitude saves or constitution based check he makes. In addition, his speed is no longer reduced by adverse weather conditions such as snow, sleet, or heavy rain. AT 5th level he is further empowered by rock and can no longer be stopped by most forces. He is never fatigued(he still becomes exhausted if an effect would normally cause such) and he now adds a bonus to his grapple checks, climbing checks, swim checks, and jump checks equal to his D'yer Mak'er level. At 9th level he is an unstoppable force, gains immunity to all poisons, he adds his D'yer Mak'er level to any check he makes, and he can no longer become exhausted.

Communication Breakdown-(ex)A D'yer Mak'er can imbue his music with the chaotic and unpredictable nature of pure rock. Whenever he plays his guitar the D'yer Mak'er can choose any number of targets within hearing range; these targets have a 10% per D'yer Mak'er level of any spell with a verbal component automatically failing.

Trampled Under Foot- (sp)A D'yer Mak'er can unleash the full fury of rock to disrupt the very existence of anything. A D'yer Mak'er can deal 2d8 per D'yer Mak'er level in a 60 foot cone at will.

Over the Hills and Far Away-(sp)A D'yer Mak'er can move himself with the sheer power of rock. A D'yer Mak'er gains the ability to greater teleport at will (as per the spell) except that it works even across plains.

Dazed and Confused-(sp) A D'yer Mak'er can use rock to stun and confuse his enemies. A D'yer Mak'er must make a perform check to use this ability; the result of the perform check becomes the DC for the will save against this ability. A D'yer Mak'er may choose any number of targets within audio range; these targets are stunned for a number of rounds equal to the D'yer Mak'er’s class level. Once the stun wears off they are treated as confused as per the spell.

Whole Lot of Love-(sp)A D'yer Mak'er can use the power of rock to make listeners worship the ground he walks on. A D'yer Mak'er makes a perform check to use this ability; the result of the perform check is the DC for the Will save against the effect. The D'yer Mak'er chooses any number of creatures within hearing range; all creatures that fails their save are treated as being under the effect of a charm monster spell and a dominate monster spell cast by a caster equal to the D'yer Mak'er’s class level. This ability is usuable at will. Once a creature has saved against this ability it is immune to the D'yer Mak'er’s Whole Lot of Love for 24 hours.

Misty Mountain Hop/The Ocean-(sp)The D'yer Mak'er uses the power of rock to move the world around him. The D'yer Mak'er may create one earth or water elemental per D'yer Mak'er level at will.

What is and What Should Never Be-(sp)The D'yer Mak'er employ pure rock to grant him a favor. Once per week a D'yer Mak'er make use Wish or Micale (as per the corresponding spells) without paying an XP or material component cost.

Achilles Last Stand-(ex)The D'yer Mak'er is now imbued with the unstoppable force of Rock. The D'yer Mak'er gains DR equal to three times his D'yer Mak'er class levels, he automatically wins any check made opposing a bullrush, grapple, disarm attempt, or sunder attempt. In addition, as long as he has his guitar he must be reduced to -100 hit points before death, and is now treated as having the Endurance and Diehard feats.

Stairway to Heaven-(ex)The D'yer Mak'er is now a being of pure Rock(and not the earthy kind). The D'yer Mak'er gains the Outsider subtype, the D'yer Mak'er if ever slain is automatically restored to life in 1d3 days, and the D'yer Mak'er can now summon the ultimate rock gods once per day(anything he wants=dead, even Chuck Norris). But Robert Plant and Jimmy Page cannot have official stats…ever, their awesome bonus is just too great.

MrSeth
2006-07-19, 12:07 AM
Oooookay... overkill. Even for this thread. Love the concept, flavor's great, but all those "At will"s make me jittery.

New internet law: All threads involving combat and silliness will, given enough time, mention Chuck Norris.

decemberism
2006-07-19, 04:26 AM
Not this one!

MrSeth
2006-07-19, 10:17 AM
D'yer Mak'er[Prestige Class]
... and the D'yer Mak'er can now summon the ultimate rock gods once per day(anything he wants=dead, even Chuck Norris).

Yep. It did.

epiclvlpirateninja
2006-07-19, 11:33 AM
Not this one!

Toooooo late.

decemberism
2006-07-19, 07:58 PM
Toooooo late.

DAMNIT!

ShneekeyTheLost
2006-07-20, 01:11 AM
Trying to drag the discussion back on-topic... an ability I'm surprised hasn't shown up already...

Blow Out the Amps! (Su)
As a full round action that provokes an attack of opportunity, the Metalist can cause all amps attached to his Axe to explode, doing 1d6/level Sonic damage in a cone effect extending 10 yards/level from each amp and and 1d4/level Fire damage in a cone effect extending 5 ft/level from each amp. Any living being in the sonic cone must make a Fort save (DC level+Cha) or be Deaf for 2d6 rounds (Fort save after the time is over, failure indicates permanent deafness) and stunned for 1d6 rounds. Success means Deaf for 1d6 rounds.

decemberism
2006-07-20, 01:31 AM
Trying to drag the discussion back on-topic... an ability I'm surprised hasn't shown up already...

Blow Out the Amps! (Su)
As a full round action that provokes an attack of opportunity, the Metalist can cause all amps attached to his Axe to explode, doing 1d6/level Sonic damage in a cone effect extending 10 yards/level from each amp and and 1d4/level Fire damage in a cone effect extending 5 ft/level from each amp. Any living being in the sonic cone must make a Fort save (DC level+Cha) or be Deaf for 2d6 rounds (Fort save after the time is over, failure indicates permanent deafness) and stunned for 1d6 rounds. Success means Deaf for 1d6 rounds.

I think that should've been included in the core class. It seems like every ability so far, for the PrCs is using the names of songs as the basis for them. Which is a really neat idea. :D

MrSeth
2006-07-20, 01:31 AM
Ooh, I like... but we don't have Amps yet! The guitar amplification is magical.

I'm thinkin' something like a Medium construct, looks like a big gray box on four crablegs, scuttles around the battlefield and spreads the effect range of the Metalist's songs...

decemberism
2006-07-20, 01:47 AM

I'm thinkin' something like a Medium construct, looks like a big gray box on four crablegs, scuttles around the battlefield and spreads the effect range of the Metalist's songs...

Through, like, a Shout spell or something similar. :D

ShneekeyTheLost
2006-07-20, 01:50 AM

New Construct Subtype: Amp

Special Abilities:
Blare Any Amp construct may be used as a focus for the Powermetalist who summoned it. As a full-round action which provokes an attack of opportunity, the Powermetalist may consider one or more Amps as the center of his music. A Powermetalist may use a number of Amps equal to his Powermetalist level. A Tweeter counts as one, an Amplifier counts as two, and a Woofer counts as three Amps for this purpose.

The area of effect for an Amp is dependant on the hit die of the Amp and the level of the Powermetalist. A Tweeter's area effect is half the Powermetalists, an Amplifier's range is equal to the Powermetalists, and a Woofer's range is twice the Powermetalist's.

All Amps are on cords with a maximum reach of 10ft/level. The cord has AC 10 and 5 hit points, with a hardness of 2. I can foresee increasing the hit points/hardness with further upgrades (armor plated cords?) or even going Wireless (but still having to be inside the Metalist's range or they loose reception). Doing so would likely require prestige class/feat progression of some sort.

Mindless
All Amps are mindless magical constructs who are under the complete control of the Powermetalist who summoned them.

Tweeter (Small Mindless Magical Construct)(Amp)
HD 3
Str 12
Dex 14
Con -
Int -
Wis -
Cha -
Attack: slam 1d4+1
AC: 17 (Dex +2, Natural Armor +4, Size +1)
DR 5/-
Speed: 30

Amplifier (Medium Mindless Magical Construct) (Amp)
HD 6
Str: 16
Dex 10
Attack: Slam 1d6+5
AC: 20 (Natural Armor +10)
DR 10/-
Speed: 20

Woofer (Large Mindless Magical Construct)(Amp)
HD 10
Str 24
Dex 6
Attack: Slam 1d8+10
AC: 30 (Dex -2, Size -1, Natural Armor +23)
DR 20/-

Then we need to figure out how to summon them:

Summon Lesser Amp:
This spells summons one Tweeter to aid the Powermetalist

Summon Amp:
This spell summons one Amplifier or 1d4 Tweeters to aid the Powermetalist

Summon Greater Amp:
This spell summons one Woofer, 1d4 Amplifiers, or 2d4 Tweeters.

Just a general sketch, whaddya think?

tons
2006-07-20, 02:10 AM
Why not a class based on iron maiden.

With songs like: the number of the beasts, fear of the dark, bring your daughter... to the slaughter and 2 minuttes to midnight.

There should be plenty things to start on i will try to create in a few days

Krulla
2006-07-23, 12:25 AM
I can't belive, that, in a thread about power metal, Blind Guardian has only had one mention.

Hansi Kursch is god!