PDA

View Full Version : Revenants [4e]

Sir Homeslice
2009-06-15, 05:47 AM
I'd post something detailed, but I'm about to drop dead from one part exhaustion and one part marathoning Kamen Rider Den-O.

In any case, Revenants are a +2 Dex/Con Race that count as Undead for Undead related keywords, but are still living unless they take Death's Blessing (Heroic, Revenant Prereq. You no longer need to eat, drink, or breathe, so you never need to make Endurance checks to resist the effects of starvation, thirst, and suffocation. You are no longer considered a living creature.). They also get to count as a single race for the purpose of feats, paragon paths, and epic destinies, though if they call for a power or specific racial ability in question you have to take the [Race] Soul feat and hope it has what you're looking for. In addition, if you hit 0, you can choose to reain concious till you roll a death saving throw. If you do, however, you can take a standard action before attempting the DST (They also get a buncha death saving throw related feats). Their racial's a free action triggered off of a creature within 5 squares of you reaching 0 HP, which allows you to deal an additional 1d8+con necrotic damage with the next attack you make. There's an epic feat that gives you two uses of this. Also remember the bit about soul feats? You can use your racial encounter OR that race's racial power per encounter.

Now that I'm done spoiling half the race in vagueish words...

Opinions?

I rather like the race myself mechanically and fluffwise, it's not bad either. The Racial Paragon Path and Epic Destiny are also pretty solid.

P.S: My strength have made you cry! Wipe your tears with this!

Hal
2009-06-15, 05:52 AM
How's the flavor on these guys? Generally, we think of Undead as evil, or at least less than good. Where did they come from? What's their society like? What motivates them now that they're dead(ish)? If a cleric fires off Turn Undead near one of these guys, do they have to flee as well?

Sir Homeslice
2009-06-15, 06:00 AM
How's the flavor on these guys? Generally, we think of Undead as evil, or at least less than good. Where did they come from? What's their society like? What motivates them now that they're dead(ish)? If a cleric fires off Turn Undead near one of these guys, do they have to flee as well?

Where did they come from?
The article basically states that the Raven Queen, or someone that she's struck a deal with, has a purpose for wanting to bring back someone as a Revenant. That purpose is pretty much left in the air completely. Some don't know what it is, some do. And then they either fight it, or slavishly devote themselves to it. Pretty much everything's in the air for plot hooks and drama abound.

Also, the person making a bargain doesn't have to be important, or powerful either. In fact, sometimes the deceased begs the Raven Queen and she basically goes 'lol sure have fun'
Society
lol what society

What motivates them now that they're dead(ish)?
Covered up there.

If a cleric fires off Turn Undead near one of these guys, do they have to flee as well?
If they use their own Turn Undead they don't have to run.

If someone else does...

Yeah, they do. Sucks for them!

How's the flavor on these guys?
Hm...

Like I said, I like it a lot.

Leeham
2009-06-15, 06:01 AM
Yeah, i read about these guys! they look pretty cool. they're lik, brought back from the dead forsome grand purpose by the Raven Queen. They look fun :smallsmile: thanks for supplying some crunch to the fluff.

Hal
2009-06-15, 08:05 AM
Okay, what about social reaction to these guys? Do they look like a stereotypical undead (rotting flesh, exposed joints and organs, etc.), or is it more of a vampiric, pale, death-warmed-over sort of appearance?

Burley
2009-06-15, 08:33 AM
Okay, since there haven't been a dozen posts referencing the Homebrew sub-forum, I can only assume that these are legit WotC materials that I'm missing out on. Dragon issue?

Xallace
2009-06-15, 08:36 AM
Okay, what about social reaction to these guys? Do they look like a stereotypical undead (rotting flesh, exposed joints and organs, etc.), or is it more of a vampiric, pale, death-warmed-over sort of appearance?

They're definitely the latter. I was hoping for actual corpse-y things, but I think I can deal.

EDIT: Hang on. As I read further, it seems that is only the default appearance. It's also mentioned that they can appear as "traditional" undead, and some even come back in a living body- someone else's.

I like this.

RTGoodman
2009-06-15, 12:27 PM
Okay, since there haven't been a dozen posts referencing the Homebrew sub-forum, I can only assume that these are legit WotC materials that I'm missing out on. Dragon issue?

Not quite a Dragon issue - they're the new D&D Insider exclusive race released as an incentive for folks to subscribe (there'll also be an Assassin class that's the same way).

The cool thing about them is that you can basically make them however you want. It suggests, if the character in question was a Halfling before death, talking to your DM to see if your Revenant could be Small instead of Medium, or if he was a Dwarf that he could also have the ability to move at full speed in heavy armor like Dwarves do. The appearance, how common Revenants are, WHY they've been made - it's all up to the player and DM to get together and decide.

EDIT: There's already a thread on this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6292145) by the way. Might want to see if a Mod will combine the two.

Mando Knight
2009-06-15, 12:28 PM

Newest Dragon ish. Undead beings with a horde of unique feats. Since it's listed as "DDI exclusive," it probably won't be published in a standard splatbook.

Also, this thread should be merged with this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114901) pre-existing one.