PDA

View Full Version : 4e Monster lvl up!

Elixia
2009-06-15, 06:23 AM
hey, i'm just about to start my first DM campaign :S
and i have a question.

my players are lvl 11 going 12. the monsters i want them to fight for the beginning half of the campaign (for story reasons) are lvl 7 and 9 Goliaths in the MM2.

is there a formula i can apply to increase the monsters lvl so that they can be more of a chanlege for my players? also they maybe fighting these for 3 to 4 sessions so if possible i would like the goliaths the lvl up with them.

thanks!

Kol Korran
2009-06-15, 06:45 AM
first of all- there's a MM2 allready? i should check it out. or do you mean the PHB2?

as to leveling up monsters, there are simple rules in the DMG, page 174
(i think) and 184 (if you want to replan the golaiths from scratch). those are good guidlines, but they don't carry that well across many levels (though they should be fine up to a 5 lvl difference). the problem is that you should probably alter or change some of the mosnters powers to fit the group. look at appropriate level monsters for sample powers (all i can think of is giants)

another idea that might make the goliaths more formidable is to make them all (or most) into Elites, or even solos. (though solos tend to be weak comparing). that might work especially well with the you wanting to level the guys up, since you basically just advance them by the rules i mentioned, and maybe add a power or two (if you're using the class templates)

i hope this answered your question,
Kol.

Magentawolf
2009-06-15, 06:49 AM
The DMG actually has a section on how to adjust monsters to fit your party; I don't have it on hand right now for an absolute page number, but it's in there.

Roughly, it's:

* For each level up or down, +/-1 Attack rolls and Defenses
* +/-HP per level based on Role: if the monster is a Skirmisher, Soldier or Controller +/-8. Lurker or Artillery +/-6. If Brute +/-10
* For every 2 levels, +/-1 Damage, +/-1 to ability score bonuses (round up)

However, since you're raising Heroic monsters up to Paragon levels, you should give them some extra kick as well.

Elixia
2009-06-15, 07:06 AM
Thank alot!
that i need helps! i've been thrown in at the deep end here since the last DM (my bf) campiagn finished a session early so i haven't time to comb throught our shared DM book.

and yes theres MM2 ;) and i LOVE IT! it has a lot of cool new monsters that will be perfect for my campaign :)

KillianHawkeye
2009-06-15, 11:35 AM
first of all- there's a MM2 allready? i should check it out.

It's actually been out for almost a month. :smallsmile:

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-15, 04:04 PM
I think the designers intended paragon tier monsters to have more encounter/recharge abilities that heroic tier ones, as well as more special stuff. So in addition to increasing their stats, you will probably want to give them an extra encounter power or so.

Of course, you can ignore this rule: I ran a level 6 game in which the monsters had like 3 or 4 encounter powers each. It was pretty awesome, it felt like I was playing an entire part vs the main party.

HMS Invincible
2009-06-15, 04:20 PM
Give them class levels via the NPC process or the template process. The NPC process is more interesting than the template process though. You end up with an elite monster either way. All of this is handled by the DMG check the table of contents, it's like pg 170 something.

Elixia
2009-06-16, 02:52 AM
Give them class levels via the NPC process or the template process. The NPC process is more interesting than the template process though. You end up with an elite monster either way. All of this is handled by the DMG check the table of contents, it's like pg 170 something.

ah, now theres an idea. i was thinking this for the later stages. keeping the 'simplier' goliaths for cannon fodder or minions but making a series of NPC Elites. thanks for the advise!