PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Conquetzal (PC Race) PEACH

Xenre
2009-06-15, 07:21 AM
This is a player race I'm building for an Aztecish homebrew setting. Please Examine And Critique Honestly! I would also like to know if any one has an issue with the name. It does roughly mean child or children of the sacred bird (the Quetzal). Coconeh means children, and Coneh means child.

Conquetzal
Conquetzal believe that they are descended from a sacred bird. Their name means Child of the Sacred Bird. In may communities they act as religious leaders.

Personality: Conquetzal are lofty and proud, and many view them as arrogant. They can be quite aloof and even a bit haughty at times, preferring solitude or the company of others of their own kind, or else to bask in the adoration of lesser beings. However, they prefer to avoid getting into fights, as they tend to end badly. While wise the tend to be harsh and blunt.

Physical Description: Conquetzal look like a tall, thin humanoid with talon-like feet, and long wing like arms. They're skin is dark brown, but they're feathers come in a variety of colors. Most common are green, blue, and yellow. Their feathers cover most of their bodies. Conquetzals hands are long, and elegant. Conquetzal stand between six and eight feet tall and weigh only around 170-300 lb.

Alignment: Conquetzal are usually lawful.

Lands: Conquetzal dwell in the jungles of Syena.

Religion: Conquetzal worship all seven of the gods of Syena.

Language: Conquetzal speak Syen, their native tongue. They often learn Auran, Sylvan, and Celestial as well.

==Player Characters==
Stat mods +2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Str, -2 Cha
Type Humanoid (Avian)
Size Medium
Speed 30 feet
Glide: The long feathers on the back of the entire arm allow the them to glide, traveling 20 feet horizontally for every 5 feet of vertical descent. As long as a they are conscious and the wings are not hindered in any way (such as by the walls of a very narrow pit or being entangled with a net).
Natural Weapon: Kick (1d6 slashing damage)
+4 racial bonus on jump checks
Automatic languages: Syen
Bonus Languages: Auran, Sylvan, Celestial, Infernal
Favored Class: Cleric

Xenre
2009-06-16, 03:37 AM
This is meant to be a base race. And does anyone have a system for calculating ECL?

Iferus
2009-06-16, 08:25 AM
Compared to the Raptorian from Races of the Wild, this would definitely go without ECL.

Jesse Drake
2009-06-16, 10:39 AM
No flight? Then it looks fine.

J.Gellert
2009-06-16, 11:46 AM
I would give them a few more racial skills as well. Spot seems a likely candidate for bird-people.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-16, 11:48 AM
I'd reduce the maximum height a little bit. 10 feet tall is infringing no the territory granted by size Large, which I've always imagined begins at about 8 feet or so.

Other than that, it looks good.

Lappy9000
2009-06-16, 12:25 PM
Kind of bland, but certainly solid. I agree with Djinn about the height thing.

On a side note; Coconquetzal? Bird People?
http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/coco-36901.jpg

Xenre
2009-06-16, 04:42 PM
Kind of bland, but certainly solid. I agree with Djinn about the height thing.

On a side note; Coconquetzal? Bird People?
http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/coco-36901.jpg

Oh arhg! I diddn't even go there! That certainly explains why it's been buging me. And here I thought my biggest problem was going to be pronouncing it.

coconeh is the aztec (Nahuatl) word for children, and you drop the last syllable. I'll defantly have to change that.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-16, 09:11 PM
I'd reduce the maximum height a little bit. 10 feet tall is infringing no the territory granted by size Large, which I've always imagined begins at about 8 feet or so.

Other than that, it looks good.

Yep. Generally, it's assumed sizes go by powers of 2: Small is 2-4 feet in the largest dimension, Medium is 4-8 feet, Large is 8-16 feet, etc.

Xenre
2009-06-17, 02:28 PM
Thanks on the height thing Djinn, PairO'Dice.

Lappy9000
2009-06-17, 02:36 PM
Conquetzal sounds much cooler.

By the way, is there any relation to the Couatls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/couatl.htm)?

Jair Barik
2009-06-17, 02:56 PM
Looks cool
Is the setting one from a core setting or is it homebrew?

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-17, 03:28 PM
Conquetzal sounds much cooler.

By the way, is there any relation to the Couatls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/couatl.htm)?

Given that Couatls are based on the Aztec deity Quetzalcoatl, and this is for an Aztec-ish game, there is a very strong thematic link there. It doesn't look like he's going that route mechanically, but the fluff is just right for that interpretation.

Xenre
2009-06-17, 07:02 PM
The setting is homebrew. I've looked at Maztica (2nd ed.), but if you can recommend other supplements or resources I'd appreciate it.

Lappy9000
2009-06-17, 07:44 PM
Given that Couatls are based on the Aztec deity Quetzalcoatl, and this is for an Aztec-ish game, there is a very strong thematic link there. It doesn't look like he's going that route mechanically, but the fluff is just right for that interpretation.Well, yeah, but there's a bit of a difference (I was referring to the psionics and the like)

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-06-17, 11:29 PM
Well, yeah, but there's a bit of a difference (I was referring to the psionics and the like)
Well, like I said, mechanically there's not really any resemblance at all; it's purely a fluff connection. Though I do think adding innate psionics to a race is always a good move. :smallwink:

Fizban
2009-06-18, 05:44 AM
As a great supporter of gradual flight, I'd say give em' that (same deal as raptorans). That makes it a bit of a raptoran clone, true, but pretty much any birdlike race will. Failing that, at least a feat (see Draconic Wings).

The kick natural weapon reminds me of how annoying it is that natural weapons like that don't get iteratives, but that's not your fault. Maybe a houserule (may substitute natural weapon damage for unarmed strike?).