PDA

View Full Version : Splitting Arrows and Arrow of Bone!

Alcopop
2009-06-15, 10:47 AM
Hey Guys!, couple questions on the awesome splitting property in CoR.

How do you think this property would work with the spell Arrow of Bone? (SC)

What would happen if you tied something round the arrow before firing? like a note with an explose runes on it. would it split to? what if you engraved explosive runes into the arrow itself?
(Cause hitting some one with eight weak arrows and then chucking out a dispell to make them all explode is just to cool!)

"Ha, your puny arrows cannot harm m- *BOOM*"

And what about if some one uses Smiting Spell metamagic and puts a spell in your arrow, what happens?

Any thoughts? :P

Cheers!

Coidzor
2009-06-15, 10:54 AM
Hmm, even if the explosive runes split, it'd still be an ineffective delivery system due to the fact that arrows, even magical ones, as ammunition have a break percentage. The numbers look worse if only the original arrow has the explosive runes on it...

And I'd say that destroying the arrow/ammunition/object the runes are inscribed upon counts as eliminating the spell without discharging it. I believe this stance has been supported elsewhere, though I'm not sure if there's RAW for it.

Drider
2009-06-15, 12:32 PM
Hey Guys!, couple questions on the awesome splitting property in CoR.

How do you think this property would work with the spell Arrow of Bone? (SC)

What would happen if you tied something round the arrow before firing? like a note with an explose runes on it. would it split to? what if you engraved explosive runes into the arrow itself?
(Cause hitting some one with eight weak arrows and then chucking out a dispell to make them all explode is just to cool!)

"Ha, your puny arrows cannot harm m- *BOOM*"

And what about if some one uses Smiting Spell metamagic and puts a spell in your arrow, what happens?

Any thoughts? :P

Cheers!

1. Tying something around it would make it so one arrow has something around it, and another appears, having nothing on it.
2. A note with explosive runes, read above.
3. arrow with explosive runes on it cause another arrow to appear, with the runes on them, just not magic. perhaps you could sell them as an art piece.(also, they all would look the same, so trying to dodge the one thats "real" is'nt possible, without guessing)
4. same as 3, except the arrows would "glow" but the splitted ones don't have the spell, although they still glow, making dodging the "real one" impossible.

This is all how I would handle this as a DM, not perfect, but okay in my opinion.

lsfreak
2009-06-15, 12:57 PM
Explosive runes are ONLY triggered by reading them. A better question is what happens when an Arcane Archer sticks a Necrotic Skull Bomb on one of the arrows.

Alcopop
2009-06-15, 10:15 PM
Explosive runes are ONLY triggered by reading them. A better question is what happens when an Arcane Archer sticks a Necrotic Skull Bomb on one of the arrows.

Or if dispelled, so if you stick an enemy full of arrows then do an area dispell on em, boom.

1. Tying something around it would make it so one arrow has something around it, and another appears, having nothing on it.
2. A note with explosive runes, read above.
3. arrow with explosive runes on it cause another arrow to appear, with the runes on them, just not magic. perhaps you could sell them as an art piece.(also, they all would look the same, so trying to dodge the one thats "real" is'nt possible, without guessing)
4. same as 3, except the arrows would "glow" but the splitted ones don't have the spell, although they still glow, making dodging the "real one" impossible.

Hrm, yup. that all sounds about right. but what about for Arrow of Bone?

D Knight
2009-06-15, 11:01 PM
you could use the spell delayed fireball. just put the spell component around the shaft or inside the shaft. just make sure to use a lot so the spell works.and put the timer for the blast at 3-4 rounds away that way you can cast then fire with a round or two to get away.

arguskos
2009-06-15, 11:01 PM
Splitting seems to copy all properties of the arrow, so it probably copies that effect too. Also, Necrotic Skull Bomb, such an amazing spell, but it seems no one knows about it really. More for me! :smallbiggrin:

Alcopop
2009-06-16, 12:18 AM
So it would work with arcane archers imbue arrow but not smiting spell?
?_?
Any thoughts on arrow of bone?
What about poison too, would it duplicate? ~

I know there arn't any answers by RAW for this, but how would you rule it given the descriptions?

Coidzor
2009-06-16, 01:59 AM
Splitting seems to copy all properties of the arrow, so it probably copies that effect too. Also, Necrotic Skull Bomb, such an amazing spell, but it seems no one knows about it really. More for me! :smallbiggrin:

What source is necrotic skull bomb from?

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with CoR(Champions of Ruin, right?) or the Splitting property, so I can't help you with how perfect its copies are...:smallfrown:

Alcopop
2009-06-16, 02:01 AM
Champions of Ruin >_>