PDA

View Full Version : wild shape and swallowing

awa
2009-06-15, 10:59 AM
Say i've transformed into something with a swallow whole attack using wild shape and i eat an enemy. I have two main questions on this topic.

1) can i spit him back out latter in case i want his items or decide not to finish him off?

2) what happens when for whatever reason i transform into something without a swallow ability (particularly important if i cant spit out bodies)

Shinizak
2009-06-15, 11:51 AM
So what you're asking is when you swallow something can you vomit it out, or when you revert back to your original form do you go pop?

So lets assume you turned yourself into something like a purple worm (just for the sake of the analogy), then decided to swallow a troll that was decked out head to toe in magic items. You want to get the items after he meets his demise, right? I would say that you might have to induce your new form's gag reflex (if it has one). I would house rule that this is how it went:

First round you would be nauseated.

Second round you would throw up.

Third round you would be both nauseated AND stunned (since vomiting leaves you weak).

You would expel the entire contents of your stomach Along with the semi digested ogre.

As for thegoing back to regular form, I'd say that since it's only you that's shifting, the creature would stay the same size. Druid goes pop.

Choco
2009-06-15, 12:08 PM
Sounds like this one would be up to the DM. I personally would rule if you shaped into something smaller before you were done digesting the monster, or you vomited it out, then you would in fact go pop. If you plan on doing this on a regular basis, visit some Wizard and have him make for you some poison (or better yet, a magical potion to get around poison immunity) that makes any creature that digests it vomit uncontrollably for a few rounds. I doubt there is an existing item like that in any source book, but the DM SHOULD be making his own items/houserules anyway :smalltongue:

Fixer
2009-06-15, 12:11 PM
IIRC, the rules for what happens when you swallow something while in an enlarged alternate form are as follows:

When the effect stops and you return to normal size, anything that you consumed (that wasn't reasonably digested i.e. had a mechanical effect) appears in a pile beside your character. The magic that altered your form is assumed to expel all other detritus from your body and deposit it in a handy pile next to where you end up standing.

Awful handy that magic.

Cedrass
2009-06-15, 12:16 PM
:smallannoyed: Handy, but boring...

I'd rule it out like Shinizak. Druid goes *pop*. Plus it's a small balance factor: "Yes you can swallow him, but that Wizard will sure as hell Polymorph you". Makes you think before you go nom nom on someone :smallwink:

awa
2009-06-15, 12:25 PM
IIRC, the rules for what happens when you swallow something while in an enlarged alternate form are as follows:

When the effect stops and you return to normal size, anything that you consumed (that wasn't reasonably digested i.e. had a mechanical effect) appears in a pile beside your character. The magic that altered your form is assumed to expel all other detritus from your body and deposit it in a handy pile next to where you end up standing.

Awful handy that magic.

Thanks that solves getting the items back as well

Katrascythe
2009-06-15, 12:25 PM
I'd probably say that the critter has the stay in the stomach for a certain period depending on the critter. For example, if you were swallowed by a snake (it's happened in real life) then you'd have to stay in snake form for like an hour. Snake stomach acid is extremely potent, things start to digest as soon as they're swallowed.

Actually, in that case I'd probably just give you a time period that you have to stay in wild shape. I'd assume that anything with the swallow hole ability would be able to quickly digest whatever it consumed.

I'd still say that it didn't change size though so you might wanna vomit out whatever magic items you wanted or anything that you couldn't pass through in another state (probably with Shinizak's order or something similar).

Fitz10019
2009-06-15, 12:53 PM
I'd assume that anything with the swallow hole ability would be able to quickly digest whatever it consumed.

Anything? Or anything organic? Would you apply acid damage to armor and shields and amulets as if they were submerged in acid, or just to the creature (and just to leather items)?

Rhiannon87
2009-06-15, 01:06 PM
Sounds like this one would be up to the DM. I personally would rule if you shaped into something smaller before you were done digesting the monster, or you vomited it out, then you would in fact go pop. If you plan on doing this on a regular basis, visit some Wizard and have him make for you some poison (or better yet, a magical potion to get around poison immunity) that makes any creature that digests it vomit uncontrollably for a few rounds. I doubt there is an existing item like that in any source book, but the DM SHOULD be making his own items/houserules anyway :smalltongue:

There's already an item that does the vomiting thing:

Ipecac: This syrupy alchemical concoction is derived from the ipecacunha plant. Ipecac is a powerful emetic that can counter the effects of ingested poisons. The substance is also useful for expelling other unwanted objects from the drinker's stomach.
Drinking a dose of ipecac immediately induces vomiting-- the drinker is nauseated for 1d4 rounds. A character who drinks a dose of ipecac within 1 minute of ingesting a poison gets a +5 bonus on their second saving throw against the effects of the poison.
A vial contains 10 doses.
Craft (alchemy) DC 25.
Cost: 50 gp.

This is in the Expedition to Castle Ravenloft book, but I know it's in other books as well, I just can't find it. >.<

Tiki Snakes
2009-06-15, 03:45 PM
Actually, given the mechanical description of the items 'appearing in a free square next to you', I'm reminded of 'Big Bertha' from the GLA.

You stop being the creature large enough to swallow whole...now your stomach contents are about to be bigger than your stomach. Somethings got to give, and the path of least resistance is apparently projectile vomiting. :)

It's a pretty mental image, isn't it? The druid, part-way between forms, body contorting in horrible ways, projectile vomiting out a partially digested troll and half a bag of assorted treasure.