Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+4 Dex, +3 natural), touch 14, flatfooted 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+6
Attack: Slam +7 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: 2 Slams +7 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Maternal wrath
Special Qualities: Deathless traits, aura of childcomfort, true mother’s grace, bless womb, resurrect child
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +8
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 18, Con –, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 16
Skills: Diplomacy +12, Listen +12, Search +10, Sense Motive +12, Spot +12
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Dodge, Mobility
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral good
Advancement: 7-16 HD (Medium)

When a mother dies in the act of saving a child, she can return from death in the form of a Soulmother. Soulmothers are exemplars of motherhood, a wellspring of life. They appear as beautiful women, regardless of their appearance in life, and possess an unearthly beauty that draws children to them.

Maternal Wrath (Su)
A Soulmother gets a +5 sacred bonus on attack and damage rolls against creatures it has seen harm a child. She also gains a +3 sacred bonus to AC against such creatures.

Aura of Childcomfort (Su)
All children within 30 ft. of a Soulmother gain immunity to fear.

True Mother’s Grace (Su)
All children within 30 ft. of a Soulmother gain a +2 sacred bonus to Dexterity and Charisma.

Bless Womb (Su)
As a standard action, a Soulmother may touch any pregnant creature to sanctify the fetus within. The fetus will be born perfectly healthy, cannot die while in the womb, and is immune to effects that would corrupt it, such as a Darkwomb Mother (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1153590067 )’s curse womb ability.

Resurrect Child (Su)
A Soulmother may resurrect any dead child, as long as some trace of the child’s body remains, as the resurrection spell. Doing so utterly destroys the Soulmother, though they have no qualms about sacrificing themself to revive a child.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-22, 02:39 PM
Fantastic creation here.

'Brings warm feelings to my heart' ;D

Not sure how usable it'd be in a campaign, but would definetely add flavor.

Everyman
2006-07-22, 03:02 PM
The CR of Soulmother seems like it should be a tad higher, given the amount of HD and damage it can deal. I'd make it a CR 3.

Other than that, the creature looks great. It's refreshing to see a creature that exists only to protect, rather than be a dire threat to the world.

Oh, and I have one last question...how does one run the stats for a child? Do we assume commoner with half a HD?

ghost_warlock
2006-07-22, 03:03 PM
With the disposition/alignment of my PC's right now, I might be able to get away with using it. Although they'll probably kill it... :'(

I'm definitely seeing a mother/babies theme in the monster section today. Speaking of which, this critter could be the bane of a PC necromancer with a Slaymate.

Step 1) destroy the slaymate
Step 2) resurrect (what used to be) the slaymate.
Step 3) piss off PC necromancer

Which brings me to another point...how loosely does this critter define "child?" Do wyrmlings count? Juvenile dragons? See where I'm going with this? ;)

The Demented One
2006-07-22, 03:14 PM
The CR of Soulmother seems like it should be a tad higher, given the amount of HD and damage it can deal. I'd make it a CR 3.

Other than that, the creature looks great. It's refreshing to see a creature that exists only to protect, rather than be a dire threat to the world.

Oh, and I have one last question...how does one run the stats for a child? Do we assume commoner with half a HD?

Which brings me to another point...how loosely does this critter define "child?" Do wyrmlings count? Juvenile dragons? See where I'm going with this?
I'd leave the definition and stats for a child up to each individual DM. In terms of dragons, I'd rule anything younger than young adult counts, while for humanoids, I would do the aformented 1/2 HD thing.