PDA

View Full Version : My first PrC, Silver Hero!!

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2006-07-21, 07:43 PM
This is my first PrC, and as such will either be brilliant or suck, and be either hideously overpowered or underpowered.

Silver Hero
The Silver Hero is a fighter, paladin or other armed attacker who is skilled in diverse weapons. Silver Heroes are skilled in many physical feats(Jump, Hide, Survival, etc.). Fighters may become Silver Heroes if they are having trouble fighting different enemies.
Hit die:d10
Requirements:
- Must have had experience fighting with at least three different weapons, or two different damage types..
- Base attack bonus 5.
Class Skills
Climb, Hide, Jump, Survival, Swim, Tumble, Ride, Balance, Diplomacy, Listen, Spot.
Skill points at each level: 4 + int modifier.

Table
Level..BAB..Fort..Ref..Will..Special
1st +1 +2 +2 +1 Morale Aura
2nd +2 +3 +2 +1 Sweeping Slash
3rd +3 +4 +3 +1 180 Slash, Dualfire
4th +4 +4 +4 +2 270 Slash, Trifire
5th +5 +5 +4 +2 360 Slash, Compass fire
6th +6 +6 +5 +3 450 Slash, Throw Slash
7th +7 +7 +5 +4 540 Slash
8th +8 +8 +6 +5 -
9th +9 +8 +7 +6 630 Slash
10th +10 +9 +7 +6 Auto flanking

Specials
- Morale Aura
at 1st level, those allies around a Silver Hero gain a +1 morale bonus on all rolls.
- Sweeping Slash
At 2nd level, a Silver Hero can attack 2 squares with a full attack with a melee weapon. The squares must not be on opposite sides of the Hero.
- 180 Slash
As Sweeping Slash, but with 3 squares, two of which must be on opposite sides of the hero.
- Dualfire
At 3rd level, a Silver Hero may fire two projectiles in a full attack, in two different directions.
- 270 Slash
As 180 Slash, but with 4 squares.
- Trifire
As Dualfire, but with 3 projectiles.
- 360 Slash
As 270 slash, but with 5 squares.
- Compass fire
As Trifire, but with 4 projectiles.
- 450 Slash
As 360 Slash, but with 6 squares.
- Throw Slash
At 6th level, a Silver Hero may full attack to use a melee weapon at range by throwing it. The throw is a DC 15 Str check. If the Hero passes, he may make his attack roll as if it were a normal attack. He may only throw one-handed weapons this way.
- 540 Slash
As 450 Slash, but with 7 squares.
- 630 Slash
As 540 Slash, but with 8 squares.
- Auto Flanking
At 10th level, any enemy threatened by the Silver Hero is considered flanked.

SpiderBrigade
2006-07-21, 07:50 PM
Hmm, so the idea is, at 9th level, each of his attacks as part of a full attack action can hit all 8 squares around him? That's very very strong.

Now, if you mean "as a full-round action," that's a lot different. It's basically the feat Whirlwind attack spread out over 10 levels. If that's the case, you might think of adding some more abilities.

Brickwall
2006-07-21, 07:54 PM
Hmmm...
Nope

A couple things I should probably note:
540 Slash is basically just the feat Whirlwind Attack
Ability Prereqs are considered no-no's
The feat prerequisite Self Sufficient makes little if any sense
BaB +15? How would they get this to level 10 in non-epic? I'd stick with +5
The abilities make no sense with the flavor. Being able to hit multiple things is great, but what does it have to do with using diverse weaponry?
So, when he's using Sweeping Slash (etc) is he just hitting with one attack per square or is he full-attacking each? The second one is unbalanced at best, and more broken than A spiked-chain weilding Warlock at worst.
No BaB progression better than one-for-one. Ever. Period. Exclamation point. Semicolon.
The saves make no sense. Saves progress at either a good or bad rate. Check the ones in the PHB. A wizard's Good save is Will, and Bad saves are Fortitude and Reflex.
This guy has too few class skills.
You are supposed to have an even number for Skill points at each level. 2+int, 4+int, 6+int, or 8+int.

Remember, no PrC is supposed to defy more than one rule, if any.

EDIT: If it makes you feel any better, my first PrC, The High Enforcer (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1139265649 ), is worse.

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2006-07-21, 08:02 PM
Okayy... I'll change the flavour text, and the BAB progression.

Hmm, so the idea is, at 9th level, each of his attacks as part of a full attack action can hit all 8 squares around him? That's very very strong.

I meant that, not Whirlwind.

SpiderBrigade
2006-07-21, 08:08 PM
Yah, that is...ungodly strong. If you take Two-Weapon fighting feats, or get into a class that gives extra attacks (Dervish comes to mind) you're capable of making way too many attacks, without giving anything up.

Brickwall
2006-07-21, 08:10 PM
Okay, yeah, more broken than a Warlock with a Spiked Chain progression who multiclasses to Druid at 20th level and takes Natural Spell at level 25. And you can't get much more broken than that by level 25 unless you use this class.

SpiderBrigade
2006-07-21, 08:11 PM
...And you can't get much more broken than that by level 25 unless you use this class.

I really really doubt that. ;D

The_Logic_Ninja
2006-07-21, 08:14 PM
Warlock with spiked chain != uber. Hideous Blow is a standard action. You can't use it with Whirlwind Attack. Even if you could, it'd hardly be uber.

And while this is no Stacking Force Dragons, it's still too much, plus it ignores a whole bunch of rules.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-21, 08:17 PM
Warlock with spiked chain != uber. Hideous Blow is a standard action. You can't use it with Whirlwind Attack. Even if you could, it'd hardly be uber.

And while this is no Stacking Force Dragons, it's still too much, plus it ignores a whole bunch of rules.
...and the class is a one-trick pony. I like variety, thanks.

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2006-07-21, 08:18 PM
How can I make it less powerful?

Squangos
2006-07-21, 09:13 PM
Diverse weapons… Make him able to use any piercing weapon as a slashing or bludgeoning weapon (nothing that good; longsword or light hammer at most), any slashing weapon as a piercing or bludgeoning weapon (rapier or warhammer at most) and any bludgeoning weapon as… Well, maybe you get an extra bludgeoning attack that does little damage at a -2 penalty on attack roles.
Looking into improvised weaponry might be a good idea too.
Maybe let him attack into two ajacent squares with one attack.
The Dualfire progression doesn't sound too bad; probably OK to leave that be.

Brickwall
2006-07-21, 10:11 PM
...and the class is a one-trick pony. I like variety, thanks.

A Warlock? Yes, he's a one-trick pony unless he, y'know, uses incantations other than the Eldritch Ray ones. You have seen the social modifying incantations, right? And the other oddities?

Hmm, a Fire Elemental that weilds a +6 spiked chain and can use incantations AND druid spells. That'd be a fun combat against, say, a high level frost creature.

Just so you know, I'm aware that a spiked chain wouldn't do that much for a Warlock, even if it was as uberly broken as they say. It was kind of a joke. Still, I like the idea of eldritch-blasting squirrels.

"Hi there little fella-*ZAP* Ahh! My spleen!"

Gyrfalcon
2006-07-21, 10:48 PM
Okay, taking it from the top:

1) You need to define experience fighting with three different weapons or two different damage types. How much experience? One swing with a mace, one swing with a sword and you're good? Or what?

Otherwise, it's basically a non-issue for most of the classes it's aimed at, since arrows do piercing damage, and swords generally do slashing damage. There's your two damage types right there.

Saves: these are still off. There are two save progresions: good, and poor.

Correct save progression for Fort good / Ref poor / Will poor:

{table]

Fort
Ref
Will

1st
+2
+0
+0

2nd
+3
+0
+0

3rd
+3
+1
+1

4th
+4
+1
+1

5th
+4
+1
+1

6th
+5
+2
+2

7th
+5
+2
+2

8th
+6
+2
+2

9th
+6
+3
+3

10th
+7
+3
+3

[/table]

Morale Aura - constant bless effect around the Silver hero. Not overpoweringly powerful, so not bad.

Sweeping Slash - Need to define if each square recieves a full attack, or if the full attack is split between the two squares.

180 Slash and on - basically a slowly growing Whirlwind attack, though a bit more powerful if you can, in fact, hit each square with a full attack.

Dualfire and on - a better version of Multishot, I think, though I don't know if he's required to fire in two different directions, or can choose to. If he can target the same opponent, this becomes a growing (and better) Manyshot.

Throw Slash - bad move, as you just threw your perfectly good melee weapon at someone... unless it returns. Either way, he should only get one attack with the weapon, since without some source of further power, most things tend to stop moving after hitting something. :)

Auto flanking - fairly useless for the Silver Hero and not really in theme for the class. It's sole purpose is it opens up every enemy around the Silver Hero to endlesss sneak attacks from the party rogue(s). In that sense, it's only as powerful as the number of rogues you use with it, and fairly useless if your DM throws you up against things that are immune to sneak attacks.

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2006-07-22, 01:43 PM
The full attack is split.

He must target different enemies.

Were-Sandwich
2006-07-22, 02:07 PM
You can do that anyway without any special PrC's.

I don't quite see how the name=concept=rules, if you know what I mean.