PDA

View Full Version : Heroes IC 2

Gorgondantess
2009-06-15, 04:15 PM
Sipping a popular alcoholic beverage in this downtime at his father's summer home at Castle White, Edwick The Magnificent, Sorus and Bucketsast wait for some new adventure, plot hook, or chance at random derring-do. Finally, one of the couriers comes with a list of strange events.

Disappearances the world over are at an all time high, specifically around Gabinton and Port White.

An ancient and anachronistic religious group known as the cult of The Rose has been revived recently. While before its followers were incapable of drawing divine power from their god, now a few have been performing miracles.

Haren Mall has seen it fit to buy out two warring plots of land well out of his sphere of influence, and holding a banquet there in two. There's definitely something going on there- Mall always has his hands in important things.

There's been a recent surge of abominations from the depths of the sea and earth, attacking cities and the like. Not too many, but still a lot.

tonberryking
2009-06-15, 05:54 PM
Bastet

"It's going to have to be either the Rose Cult or crashing Mall's banquet soiree, and I don't have to argue any other two ways about it."

A little haughty, very bossy, but usually polite, the black leonine figure of Bastet (You haven't gotten the familiarity to call her Bast yet) drains a glass of, get this, water from whatever perch she's on. I say perch because, in a rare showing of a decidedly feline behavior, the bardess is fond of sitting someplace higher up above others. This may be hard given that the climes were intended for halflings, but if she can get away with it without looking foolish she is. Otherwise she's reclined back in a chair as deep as she can.

Anywho...

Normally she would be playing music until the cows came home but with action finally presented to her she's much more verbose. Making sure her gray and scarlet garments are straight, she pauses only for a moment after before continuing.

"Edwick, while I'm sure you'd love to go monster slaying, by now that this information has reached us, I imagine scores of slayers of various ilks are converging at the sea to slay abominations or whatever squid has started to spook the local fishermen. The cult on the other hand, may be sitting on something of great legacy or import historically, and if they've all of a sudden gleaned newfound powers I myself find it prudent to investigate. Mall, I'm not sure about, but there's a chance he's decided to squat on something similar as well. You can't call whatever he's up to normal, I would say. And while I see equal opportune in each circumstance I would toss my lot in with the Roses. It bears more scrutiny than whatever schemes an old goat is up to... But let us have discourse. Which of these two should we consider?"

Weezer
2009-06-15, 08:57 PM
Sorus

"I do agree with you Bastet, the Cult of the Rose seems to be the best path."

Sorus sits rigidly with his companions, slowly sipping a glass of fine elven red. His expression is stern almost to harshness and even though he is no particular distance from the others he seems somehow removed from the group by the coldness of his manner. As usual he hasn't been particularly talkative this evening though the news seems to have energized him in some way.

"Of the four possible options only the Cult of the Rose seems particularly interesting. If a cult that has been noted for its lack of any magical ability seems to have gained access to some source of magic, that is truly interesting. We should investigate this occurrence for it could have a multitude of causes, they could have attracted the notice of a heretofore unknown deity or demonic entity, or in the best case may have discovered a magical artifact that could be useful to study. While as Bastet says Mall is probably up to something I believe that this cult is far more important."

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-16, 04:50 AM
Edwick the Magnifique

Edwick slouches restfully in his chair, leant back against one of the polished wooden arms with his feet over the other, a glass of sparkling white wine gripped lightly in his left. As the conversation turns to adventure, he pulls his fringe out of his eyes and waves his glass energetically, excited by the prospect of a new quest.

"Capital idea!" he shouts, "No doubt, this insidious cult is behind the swarms of abominations and the disappearances! They must be conducting rituals dark and old and wyrd, communing with an ancient eldritch entity. But I am definitely the man to stop their evil!"

He leaps up from his chair, summoning his gnomish butler with a wild sweeping of his arms.
"Mr Ermingpepper! Prepare my adventuring gear, and wake the stablehands! And send an RSVP to that invitation Mall sent father. Tell him..."
He looks thoughtful for a moment.
"Tell him I'm coming. It's not for a few days, and I might have finished off this cult by the banquet begins. I doubt they're any match for me. I do like a party after an adventure." He looks towards the other two. "I think that's decided then. We must stop this cult! Let's get going to... um, to..."

He looks puzzled.

"Where should I go?"

tonberryking
2009-06-16, 09:58 AM
Bastet the Annoyed

"You... were invited to Mall's party?"

The cat girl looks over at Edwick intently after avoiding a spit take preceding her question. She then gives Sorus a quick conspiratorial glance...

"Hmm... Geography check to see which is closer: [roll0]Perhaps one of these can be investigated en route to the other...

Gorgondantess
2009-06-16, 12:49 PM
Mall's party is by Port White, which is a mere boat ride away. The cult of the Rose is situated you don't know where.

tonberryking
2009-06-16, 01:07 PM
Bastet

Bast reclines, further in thought all of a sudden.

Okay, time to use BARDIC KNOWLEDGE to see if I can recollect any hang outs these cult hoodlums favor:[roll0]

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-16, 05:35 PM
Edwick the Partytastic

Edwick looks puzzled for a moment.
"Well, of course I was invited. Or should I say, the family was. I thought everyone had been. Actually, I was quite expecting to take Miss Annabelle, you know, Lord Arthcroft's daugher. Although, that might have been to Lady Denholm's ball..."
He turns to the butler.
"Ermingpepper! What has father written in the social diary?"

tonberryking
2009-06-17, 08:23 PM
Bastet the Mildly Upset

"Oh buckets, I've gotten him good and started..." she remarks to the third member of the trio, regardless if he's listening or not.

"Edwick... EDWICK! I'm sure your Annabelle is lovely and diminutive and all, but please focus. It's occurred to me that we could be able to investigate both. I may be grasping at straws but the Rose cult operates near the party and we'd be passing by anyway..."

Gorgondantess
2009-06-17, 08:26 PM
Ermingpepper steps in, desultory. "Your father has forbidden you from peeking into his social diary ever since the Gabinton missionary incident. If you want to know, I advise you ask him yourself." He bows, and hurriedly leaves.

Weezer
2009-06-18, 09:08 AM
Sorus

Yes Bastet, that seems the best course of action, we can investigate the machinations of this cult and whatever political manipulation Mall is up to. Sounding slightly exasperated he adds And Edwick can go to his party.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-18, 12:43 PM
Edwick the Munificent

"Huzzah! I do like a good banquet. So... now what? Shall I get my good suit laundered?"

tonberryking
2009-06-18, 01:22 PM
Bastet

Bluff check, time on Edwick! ..Or if this is more diplomacy just take one off the score: [roll0] or if he'd totally buy this anyway, just proceed per normal.

"Hoo.... Yes. Sure, why not? Arrange for attire for the both of us--but I'm picking my final outfit-- as well. Surely you're the best suited--aheh-- for that matter of dire import." So shooing at him with her free hand, Bast eyes Sorus again. This hopefully will get the little social busy-body our of her fur long enough to discuss with Sorus how they'll plan their approach... from behind the charming public face of the halfling. She inwardly wished Edwick needed not this sort of casual steering in terms of manipulation; it went against her nom de geur something awful, but at least this time it would put him in a place of importance.

Half the time she couldn't get near high and powerful social gatherings. She made a note to include at least a single positive remark about the Magnificent should he prove capable of this matter.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-19, 08:00 AM
Sense motive: [roll0] including the -5 penalty "target wants to believe you".
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A SENSE MOTIVE CHECK.

Edwick claps his hands together merrily. "I shall get right on it! If I'm needed, send a page to fetch me."
With this, he scurries off to his wardrobe chamber. Whilst on the journey, he decides to pay a visit to his father in the lower chambers.

"Father, is there anything in the diary about this banquet Haren Mall has arranged? Is the family due to appear?" He scratches his head. "Wait... who IS Haren Mall?"

Gorgondantess
2009-06-20, 01:45 PM
A cleaning lady in Edwick's father's study sighs, and walks over to him, talking in a condescending tone. "Your father is not here, he's back in Anluatia. Haren Mall is the current ruler of Port White. Now you go back and talk with your friends, ok dearie? I'll fetch you some tea."

tonberryking
2009-06-20, 04:20 PM
Bastet

Meanwhile...

Getting up from her seat and across the room to the doorway, an extra precaution to know when Edwick shall return, Bastet finally gives Sorus a direct look, ready to converse.

"Well? What have you to say about this? Edwick risks being useless to us in this endeavor if he's getting his magical glass slippers and ball gown ready for the regalia unless we steer him properly." Bast sighs, rubbing her temples, "Worser still, I don't really see either of us as socialites; the rarity that I attend one of these things I'm typically hired for performing. And we don't even know what Mall's possible goals could be for any of this if they even at all hide some sinister force. Only that he's acquired property for all I know has a splendid view, or a stocked wine cellar. But if there is a chance it's of some value of knowledge, and he seeks to cover it..."

Weezer
2009-06-20, 04:56 PM
Sorus

"Edwick will be a problem, I have a feeling that if the halfling gets into a party, any party, he will be even less likely to be constructive. Even if we do get access to Malls party, which seems unlikely without an invite, I have a feeling that someone of Malls demonstrated cunning won't be advertising his schemes to general party goers." Sorus remarks, clearly thinking about the problem. Personally I'm singularly unsuited for blending in with vapid socialites like those that end up going to gatherings such as these. What seems to me the greater problem though it how to trace the revitalized cult of the Rose, organizations of this nature tend to be rather secretive and like to dissuade casual investigation.

Hmm, though I have an idea of how to make use of Edwick, he's just the kind of person to be taken in by cult like teachings. He could pretend to become a member of the cult and we could use him as an In to conduct out investigations.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-20, 07:53 PM
Edwick the... Sly?

"Ooh, yes please!" Edwick claps his hands together merrily. "Can you bring up some of those little currant things, what are they? Figgins? Toasted, if you'd be so kind."

He walks into the corridor, and waits for her to leave. Maybe there'll be a copy of the invitation in Father's desk... come to think of it, maybe Father might've had some dealings with this Mall fellow.

I'd like to search the study to see if I can find anything related to Haren Mall - an invitation, any business documents, illicit loveletters between Garrelon Moorcastle and Mall's wife, anything...
SEARCH:[roll0]

Also, in case you want them, a Hide and Move Silently check:
HIDE:[roll1]
MOVE SILENTLY:[roll2]

You know, just in case the servants have been told to stop me or something.

Gorgondantess
2009-06-20, 07:58 PM
The maid sighs, nods, and leaves.

Edwick ends up finding some dry, old papers, which may or may not be interesting if he had the mental acuity to actually read them, but in the end there's nothing on Mall.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-20, 08:09 PM
Edwick the Vaguely Literate

Edwick scans the papers he has found. Satisfied that they did, in fact, contain words, he takes them upstairs to show the others. He enters the solar, sits in a chair and carefully examines each of the documents in turn, frowning slightly as he does so.

Gorgondantess
2009-06-20, 08:15 PM
Edwick begins to read, but quickly his mind wanders. It's mostly shipping orders, business proposals, trade stuff. No juicy gossip or partying. It's also mostly out of date, because his father hasn't been here in a while.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-20, 08:20 PM
Edwick the Sociable

Impatient for his toasted figgins, and bored of reading, Edwick decides to question the castle staff about Haren Mall and the Cult of the Rose.

Gather Information:[roll0]

NATURAL TWENTY! WOO!

Gorgondantess
2009-06-20, 08:24 PM
Most of the mansion's staff doesn't know much about Mall- he's over a hundred by now, a human, rarely comes out in public, the most powerful man in the world, and always about 50 steps ahead of any of his competitors- he's that savvy.
None of them, however, know anything about the Rose- except one. A maid tells you one of her friends used to be a member.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-20, 08:27 PM
Edwick attempts to get more information about of the cult out of the maid using his unique charm.

Diplomacy:[roll0]

Gorgondantess
2009-06-20, 08:36 PM
The maid looks flustered and annoyed. "I don't know anything about the cult, you'll have to ask her. She lives in Port White."

tonberryking
2009-06-22, 02:35 PM
Bastet

"Eugh. Edwick as a cultist is not something I would wish upon my worst enemies--except Lygado worshipers--. Let's be honest, can we really trust that he would be capable of resisting their siren call? Or assuming he DID, that they would tolerate them? No, we can't have him join but we could still use him as a front. If I know cults--and I do-- they're desperate for money and influential backing. Edwick has a father that fits that description. What I would suggest is that we let Edwick have his party, witness whatever the blazes Mall is up to and chronicle it for later, and therefore catch Edwick in a good mood. Thereby, we'll be able to easier convince him to act as if he'd be willing to throw gobs of money to the cultists, and investigate behind his small, squat back..."

Bast keeps and ear perked, wary of saying anything else aloud that Edwick may take the wrong way... [roll0]

Gorgondantess
2009-06-22, 02:55 PM
You can hear him, far in the distance, talking to the maid, but you know he probably can't hear you.

Weezer
2009-06-22, 03:15 PM
Sorus

"That sounds like a good plan, now we've just got to convince Edwick to stop interrogating the staff and get to preparing to leave."

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-22, 05:25 PM
Edwick, still impatient for his toasted figgins, asks the maid for directions to her friend the ex-cultist's house.

Where's my figgin! I want my hot, toasted figgin!

Gorgondantess
2009-06-23, 02:17 PM
The maid gives you some jumbled, contradictory directions relying on knowing the area well, and hurriedly leaves before you can get a word in edgewise. Still no figgins.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-23, 05:30 PM
Edwick the Geographically Unsound

Edwick frowns as he attempts to puzzle out the maids directions. He looks around for another servant.
"Somebody! Where is Ermingpepper with the adventuring gear? Has he prepared my kit yet?"

Knowledge: Local [roll0]
In case you're going to let us find the maid's friend, our only inlet into the blasted cult...
:smalltongue:

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 02:54 PM
A butler enters the room. "Excuse me, sir, but you never requested for your adventuring gear to be prepared."
You have no idea what she's talking about, but luckily you remember it well enough to write it down. Maybe the others can figure it out.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-24, 05:34 PM
Edwick the Forgetful

"I didn't? Oh..." A look of confusion clouds Edwick's features, soon to be replaced by one of inspiration. "Well then, prepare it Mr Ermingpepper!"

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 05:38 PM
You hear Ermingpepper hollar from the whiskey room. "Of course master Ediwick, it will be along in a trice."
Soon enough, it's all together, in Ermingpeppers hands. He seems to be a bit tipsy.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-24, 05:55 PM
"Been at the liquor cabinet, old boy?"

Sense Motive:[roll0]
Is he? Has he?

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 05:57 PM
The man tries to restrain his expression. "Not at all, sir." While it's believeable, he obviously has.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-24, 06:08 PM
Edwick grins slyly.

"Maybe if a few bottles of the good stuff found their way into my adventuring gear, I might forget that fact."

Gorgondantess
2009-06-24, 06:09 PM
Ermingpepper sighs, almost glaring, and walks away, coming back with two bottles of very hard whiskey, showing them to Edwick and then stowing them in the pack. He shoves the pack forward.

DamnedIrishman
2009-06-24, 06:16 PM
Edwick grins, and shouts to the others across the hall.

"Well, I'm ready! What now?"

He takes a look through the gear, to see what Ermingpepper has provided beyond the liquor.

tonberryking
2009-06-25, 02:31 PM
Bastet

Peering out into the hallway, possibly seeing this transaction, Bast rolls her golden eyes and slumps back into the room. "Buckets... We'll have to chaperon him on both accounts I fear. Well, may as well give ourselves cover stories; Edwick calls us friends but in the eyes of society that may not be enough to cast aside suspicion. In other words, are you going to be his butler or bodyguard..." she seems somewhat coy suggesting this, despite knowing full well she'll HAVE to acknowledge herself as the halfling's chronicler...

Weezer
2009-06-26, 09:47 AM
Sorus

Sighing in slight irritation Sorus says "I guess I'll have to act as his butler, no one would belive that some one like this." He gestures at his thin frame "Would be a bodyguard. Alright I think its time for me to go get packed"

Sorus rises from his seat and goes up to his room, quickly packing his bag and bringing to the dining room.

Gorgondantess
2009-06-26, 05:11 PM
So, heading off to Port White now?

Weezer
2009-06-26, 09:49 PM
I think so, nothing else I can think of that could be of use to do here, unless Edwick has some other masterful plan to obtain more of his fathers whiskey

Gorgondantess
2009-06-30, 08:31 PM
Sorry for the delay, guys. I got caught up with some stuff.
You all gather your things, and leave for the port. It's the most busy part of town, a center of trade and commerce; vendors show off their wares, goods from Aschen and fish from the ocean. The ground is obscured by a pulsing mass of endless pedestrians, many carrying crates of goods. Entering the crowds to tag onto one of Edwick's father's vessels about to leave for Aschen, Edwick is immediately lost in surges of people all much taller than him, swept away in the current. He's quite lost.

Weezer
2009-07-01, 01:14 PM
Sorus

Turning to face Bastet Sorus swears Ye gods, where in the nine hells has Edwick gone! He looks around seeing if he can spot the errant halfling, though he realizes it is probably vain. So if any idea of where Edwick would run of too if he got separated from us?

Sory bout the delay
just in case edwicks still in visual range [roll0]

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-02, 07:48 AM
Edwick tries to fight his way through the crowd to something he can climb up (like a stack of crates) so he can look for the others.

Strength (push through crowd):[roll0]
climb(?):[roll1]
spot:[roll2]

I don't know which of these you might want, so i'm just going to stick them all down and hope for the best. Otherwise, Edwick's off to the nearest tavern instead...

Gorgondantess
2009-07-02, 07:40 PM
Edwick looks around for a stack of crates, and finds nothing. Well, there is something... but no, that's crazy, that's... what was I thinking again?
Ediwck deftly leaps up onto a crate, much to the chagrin of the man carrying it, and looks around in the crowds. He can't manage to spot any of the others, though they can see him, standing on something very shaky...
Sorry for RPing for you, but I couldn't resist.:smalltongue:

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-02, 08:14 PM
Sorry for RPing for you, but I couldn't resist.:smalltongue:

Edwick steadies himself with a confused look, and waits to see what will happen.

Haha, no worries. Besides, I thought that was what DMing was about: we tell you our intentions, and you tell us what actually happens...

Weezer
2009-07-02, 09:49 PM
Sorus

Spotting his short companion in the distance, Sorus pushes his way through the crowd towards Edwick. Coldly he saysWhere did you run off to? Come along we'll miss the ship.

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-03, 09:59 AM
"Ship? Why do we need a ship?"

Shrugging, Edwick jumps down and begins to follow Sorus.

Weezer
2009-07-03, 09:27 PM
Sorus
Mumbling an apology to Edwicks unwitting stepping stool, Sorus begins to lead Edwick to his fathers ship while explaining in a slightly condesending tone, "To get to Mall's party we need to travel to Aschen which is across the ocean and to travel across oceans we need to have a ship."

Gorgondantess
2009-07-10, 01:06 PM
I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, got caught up in some other things... let's keep this moving! Anyhow, dreadfully sorry for the random encounter crap, but I need to keep you busy for a while as the villains set themselves up.
You all get on the ship, and after a few questions by Edwick the Curious Monkey you set sail. The ship is weighed down by foodstocks being brought to Aschen, and it's a slow journey- in fact, it's well nighttime and Aschen is not even in sight. Might as well get some rest...
As you bed down, you hear some strange noises, and oddly eerie voices... then the grunt of a man losing consciousness.

tonberryking
2009-07-10, 02:32 PM
Listen check [roll0]

Already dreaming of hurling the curious monkey over the side The man with the yellow ha-- er... Bastet had kept to herself, her own serene melodies from her flute having kept her company in otherwise solitude; she'd nearly immediately holed up in the driest, least occupied spot on the boat to do so. It was only until a couple hours ago that she'd stopped when some ruffian yelled at her to cut it out or she'd be swimming to Port White that the black cat bard tried to get some actual sleep...depending on how good her hearing happens to be at the moment.

Gorgondantess
2009-07-10, 02:41 PM
Bast hears something, and it seems maybe kindof sortof out of the ordinary, and it keeps going on... but it might not be worth investigating.

Weezer
2009-07-10, 10:40 PM
Just as Sorus settles down on his bunk to trance he hears some noise that startles him back into full awareness. Rising from his bed he listens hard to see if he can pinpoint where in the ship the noise emanated from. While listening he quietly casts his most basic of protective spells.

Listen: [roll0] casting mage armor
one question, about what time is it, mostly it matters because it would be useful to know if any spell slots I use will be refreshed in the morning.

Gorgondantess
2009-07-10, 10:42 PM
Ooooohhh, as far as you can tell... somewhere between midnight and 4:00.

Weezer
2009-07-10, 10:44 PM
okay thanks, so definitely into the next day

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-16, 01:15 PM
Listen:[roll0]

Move Silently[roll1]

Edwick climbs down from his bunk and picks up his sword. He blinks blearily as he listens carefully to the noise, then attempts to creep towards it's source.

Gorgondantess
2009-07-17, 07:23 PM
You all come upon board, where you find several crewmates with parts of their heads missing. Other mates are just standing there, looking around with blank looks on their face. Aside from the men, you see:

Edwick:
Some silly guys with masks and wierd clothes. They don't look too tough, but there's something about them you can't put your finger on.
Sorus:
Three strange, alien, betentacled humanoid marauders, wearing lavish robes.
Buckets:
Three strange, alien, betentacled humanoid marauders, wearing lavish robes. You can't necessarily put your finger down on just what they are... but you know they shouldn't be here- they're one of the many kinds of races that were supposedly wiped out. These must be survivors. You recognize the crewmates as being specifically psionically dominated.

Weezer
2009-07-17, 07:52 PM
Sorus

Upon catching sight of the betentacled interlopers Sorus begins casting a spell. Coldly he says to these beings You are Judged and found guilty. As he completes the spell tentacles, black as the night, grow up surrounding them and attempt to snatch at all in their reach.

Inititative: [roll0]

Casting evards black tentacles so it catches all three of the monsters and as many of the dominated crew as possible.

I couldn't resist using that on tentacled monsters.
Would you like me to roll grapple checks now or later?

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-18, 08:36 AM
Initiative:[roll0]
Does my intelligent, talking sword recognise these things?

Edwick blinks incredulously, before drawing his sword and moving between the bizarrely-dressed intruders and his companions. He pauses, ready to engage anyone who comes forward, whilst hissing to his companions:

"What the bloody hell is going on? Who are those masked guys?"

Gorgondantess
2009-07-19, 07:06 PM
Well, what are the statistics on said sword?
Anyhoo, initiative order:

Mook 1:26
Edwick:24
Sorus: 23.9
Mook 2: 22
X: 18
Mook 3:16

One of the mooks turns his gaze towards Ediwick, and looks him in the eye. The halfling feels like he just grew a brain tumor the size of a grapefruit, but it quickly fades.
Edwick crouches, ready to act.
Sorus creates his tentacles, and they lash out at two of the mooks and a crewman, and all but one of the beings is forced to the ground.
And then, without knowing why, Sorus dismisses his tentacles. They are sucked back into the ground, vanishing into nothingness.
The grappled mook gets up, and looks at Sorus; he suddenly feels very drained, lacking will or emotion.
So, I'm intentionally going kind of slowly to give tonberry some time.
Sorus takes 3 charisma damage. Edwick can act now, before the next round starts.

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-19, 07:46 PM
Well, what are the statistics on said sword?

I did PM you this aaaaaaages ago, but...

+1 Intelligent Icy Burst rapier
int:14
wis:14
cha:10
ego:9

continually active deathwatch
detect magic at will

languages: common, draconic, halfling

Are any mooks/'masked invaders' within Edwick's charging distance? Better yet, is my Acrobatic Charge class ability actually going to be useful in this scenario.

Gorgondantess
2009-07-19, 08:02 PM
Unless your rapier has ranks in knowledge skills, no. And yes, one is in charging distance.

DamnedIrishman
2009-07-21, 02:58 PM
Unless your rapier has ranks in knowledge skills, no. And yes, one is in charging distance.

With a shout, Edwick charges into combat.
"Have at you, vile, verminous villain!"

Fair enough. I charge at the available enemy.
[roll0]

critical on 15-20

if hit, damage [roll1]+[roll2]
if critical, + [roll3] cold

EDIT: Also, I nominate my assailant (assailee, if I'm attacking?) as my +2 Dodge Bonus

Gorgondantess
2009-07-22, 07:46 PM
Okay, so... the mook took 15 damage. Honestly, DI... if you were level 20 I think you still might not be as powerful as the rest of the party. I, for one, don't like optimization and powergaming and min-maxing, but... I also like to throw tough encounters at the party, and dislike when one of the party members is kindof useless. Go to the RPG boards, start a thread about optimizing a level 10 halfling swashbuckler with an intelligent weapon, take some advice, and remake the character how you choose- you don't have to follow all the advice if it doesn't fit the flavor you're going for. I don't want you to become "uber-powerful", I just want you to be able to do stuff and feel like you're contributing.
Edwick stabs the monster, who doesn't seem very put out by it.
I'd like to wait for TB, who claims his computer is back on, though he doesn't seem to be posting... Also, I don't have the stats for the guys with me right now, so that's a problem.:smallredface:

tonberryking
2009-07-23, 02:32 PM
Bastet, safely in the back

Rather than leaping heroically into the mix, the bardess stays back, sword in hand. Rather that she have more allies (and to show up the damn crew who certainly can't appreciate good music unless they NEED to) Bastet begins a low, powerful litany of wordless notes into a tune that hopefully will stomp right up and shove aside the effects these creeps are having on the crew like a beach bully to a snob.

[roll0] Countersong performance.

Gorgondantess
2009-07-23, 05:02 PM
Nothing happens- whether it failed or was just flat out useless you can't tell.

Reposting Initiative:
Mook 1:26
Edwick:24
Sorus: 23.9
Bast: 23
Mook 2: 22
X: 18
Mook 3:16

One of the fellows Hears Bast, and she can feel him probing into her mind... suddenly, everything shuts down. She collapses to the floor, unconscious.

Sorus:
You recognize the effect that made Bast unconscious as a Deep Slumber spell; however, the methodology in casting it was strange- no incantations or gestures. In fact, the only reason you recognize the spell was it's effects, not its casting.
Edwick's up, then Sorus again. Feel free to post out of order, here.

Weezer
2009-07-23, 06:14 PM
Sorus

Seeing Bast crumple out of the corner of his eye Sorus turns and begins an incantation to counter the magics that effected the black cat so direly.

target dispel on the deep slumber CL check: [roll0]

Gorgondantess
2009-07-23, 06:18 PM
Nothing happens.
Ed's turn!

Gorgondantess
2009-07-31, 01:29 AM
So, Edwick's turn is skipped and he's considered flat footed... sorry, man, but I did say I would be trying to enforce a decent posting rate.
Suddenly, a rat crawls out of a barrel, twitching its nose. Edwick is entranced by the furry creature, going over to stare at it and talk about how cute it is. One of the mooks gives the other a look. He just shrugs, a very, very confused look on his face.:smalleek:
Bast's up.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-03, 02:50 PM
One of the mooks holds out a hand towards Edwick, and the air ripples around him. His eyes roll, and he collapses to the floor.
The other one glances as Sorus, and suddenly he cannot move; he tries to, but he can't even think. All he can do is watch as one of the mooks concentrates on him, then after several seconds he passes out into unconsciousness.
Aaaaannd... TPK! Time to roll up some new characters, folks!

Gorgondantess
2009-08-03, 02:52 PM
You all wake up in a dark cave, ostensibly. You're all very wet, and dripping can be heard; you smell the ever present scent of saltwater. You're all unbound, but you're missing your equipment; on top of that, you can't see anything.

Weezer
2009-08-03, 03:45 PM
Sorus

Rising slowly from his stunned stupor Sorus groans, "Where am I? Is there anyone there?" He reaches reflexively for his belt to find his spell component pouch, preparing to light the room. Surprised he realizes that his pouch isn't there, nor are his other items.

I'm assuming that all my components are gone, now to scour my spells to see if I actually prepared any that don't require materials.

tonberryking
2009-08-03, 06:43 PM
"I'm afraid so... *buckets* I feel like a mess!"

The cat woman complains her presence, and then surprises everyone including myself as a string of hisses, foul obscenities and guttural sailor hoopla escapes her mouth. Bast must have realized that all her gear was finched including her flute.

"--and the horse they rode in on!!! ARGH! I can't even make a light!!! Tell me the halfling is nearby so I can blame him for this."

Weezer
2009-08-03, 08:34 PM
Sorus

Why blame the halfling? We all seemed to be equally useless in confronting those beings. Any idea what they were, I haven't run into or heard of anything like them in all of my research.
After speaking Sorus rises from the floor and shuffles in a slow yet ever widening spiral see if he can find either a wall or other notable feature of the room.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-04, 01:49 AM
Sorus, after several minutes of stumbling and flailing (and, in one awkward incident, stepping on Ediwck's face), manages to eke out a general idea of the area; it's a small, circular stone cavern, about 15' in diameter. He can't feel an upward slope or a ceiling. There is a large pool of water at the edge of the room; it extends to the wall, getting deeper as it goes to about 4'; it might go under and out. Other than that, there is no potential exit he can discern.

tonberryking
2009-08-04, 08:59 PM
Bastet

Bast stays where she is, sitting on the hard rock as comfy as her fuzzy tush will allow. "I want to blame someone...While I'm not truly materialistic, that flute means so much to me... Eugh." She sighs, finally calming down enough to be cross but able to deal with.

"What have you been able to discern? I thought I heard water a moment there. In anycase, I have no idea what those things were, or why they would want an oft heretical bardic loudmouth, a wizard, and the magnificent moron alive. ...You aren't possessed of some terrible secret anyone would want enough to use myself and Edwick as bargaining chips for, are you?

Gorgondantess
2009-08-04, 09:23 PM
Suddenly, you haer a voice from above, as a torch is dropped down into the room, blinding you for a moment, but you soon adjust to the light. A voice speaks out, calm and authoritative but almost flamboyant, having a certain haughty, businesslike tone to it. "Now, if you'll sit down for a bit and listen up my dear, you'll learn just why our little tribe has decided to put you in this dungeon of ours. You see, we eat the brains of sentient humanoids such as yourselves- don't give me that look, I've always found you human's methods of eating quite disgusting myself. You might know us as mindflayers, though I've personally always preferred the term illithid. Now, you may think of us as terrible, evil beings, fit only to die at the end of a sword, but really, your ancestors thought the same way, and that's why they decided to go out and try to slaughter every last one of us. This is a small cabal, if you will, of survivors from that terrible genocide. So, yes; you are, in essence, cattle. And truly, why shouldn't we treat you as such? The average member of our race is smarter and more civilized than the average member of your race to the extent the average member of your race is smarter than, say, a cow. Or a ferret, or a dog, or whatever. So, you are destined to die, having the only thing to keep you going- the soul of the corporeal- devoured to keep one of our people alive for some time more.
Now, this most likely won't happen very soon. In fact, it may not happen for months, depending on how well we fare in our little hunts. You see, we take in more than just the palpable and visible when feeding; we also feed on the psychic energies that we all exude. One mind can keep one of us going strong for over a month- though, in all truth, that takes quite an exceptional mind. So, in the meantime while you're sitting down here, we like to watch for any potential... recruits, shall we say. If any of you show an exceptional perspicacity, we shall gift you with our immortal gift, and you will not be consigned to the dreadful fate of serving as food. However, such a thing requires quite an exceptional individual, so... it's not likely. Still, it gives you all some much needed hope, don't you thank?
In any case, please excuse my ramblings on- I'm sure I've quite bored you with my little speech here, though I suppose there isn't much else to do down there than attempt some fruitless escape. Now, do you have any questions? And do try to be civil, and we shall show you the same."

tonberryking
2009-08-04, 10:14 PM
Bastet

Fury and rage sweep over the features of Bastet and what follows is another volley of insults and horrendous curses. But printable:

You horrible fiends of the depths!!! How dare you talk down like that to me and my allies as if you were all innocent of malice or brutality!!! I am a bard and I know when someone's deluding themselves and others with tall tale propogandic fancy talk that has the veracity and stability of a wet house of cards! You slimy barf buckets of filth and offal wouldn't be able to withstand my mind or my soul for the gift of MY music that sweeps through them is eternal, not some petty food source for you to munch and snack on! Prattle on about how high and mighty you remnants of a long since dead bunch of freaks are but you're still the ones going around cowardly attacking defenseless ships at night and living in dank smelly caves!

She takes a moment to breathe heavily.

"I'd as soon as drop a single copper into an offertory to Lygado than to accept anything you spew from your garbage mouths as valid or worth hearing! And you can tell the rest of your ilk the same thing and squat and rot~!!!"

Gorgondantess
2009-08-04, 10:28 PM
The thing has you by the second sentence. Your brain shuts down, and you can't even think- just stare. He speaks out clamly. "If you can't behave like a civilized being, then you won't be treated like one. Do you others have similar feelings to your comrade's?"

Weezer
2009-08-05, 02:58 PM
Sorus

Thinking carefully about his his word Sorus replies, "In many ways I do agree with my companion, though I think a more coherent discussion would be more appropriate. It seems to me that you think that you have the right to devour the brains of races that you yourself admit are sentient for the barest reason; that you are powerful enough to do so. This is the same logic used by tyrants to enslave whole races, you have just substituted physical might with mental acuity and ability. There is nothing about being smarter that gives you the right to assault random sentient individuals as a food source. Unlike my friend here who's innate revulsion inhibits her from logically looking at your arguments, I believe your arguments lack a logical foundation and thus are invalid."

Gorgondantess
2009-08-05, 03:03 PM
"Ah, then I suppose you've never eaten, say, lamb? How about beef? Pork? Do you make sure not to tread on the insects as you walk? If a fly lands on you, do you swat it rather than brush it away? Do you condone others eating the flesh of an animal? If so, why do you condone such actions? You are assaulting random sentient individuals as a food source- for if I can call you sentient, then you must call livestock sentient."

Weezer
2009-08-05, 03:09 PM
Sorus

"Why must I call livestock sentient? Can I have a conversation with a cow? Could a cow have this conversation with you? I think not. If I ever met a food animal that could hold a coherent conversation, I would surely free it."

Gorgondantess
2009-08-05, 03:22 PM
"And if I find a humanoid nearing the mental capability and perspicacity of an illithid, I give it our gift. It's that simple."

Weezer
2009-08-05, 03:27 PM
Sorus
But having less intelligence doesn't stop a being from having the right to live, a man is not a cow for he can think. Any thinking being has the same right to life no matter if it is the stupidest halfwit or the most erudite of scholars.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-05, 03:38 PM
"A cow can think. It has memory, it has fear- there is no doubt that it is sentient. What defines something with a right to live and something that doesn't? I say it is all purely subjective. A deity is to an illithid as I am to a human as you are to a cow, on the subject of 'sentience'."

Weezer
2009-08-05, 05:10 PM
Sorus

''Your definition of sentience is flawed, it is not feeling pain or fear, it is the ability to reason logically. Sentience isn't a sliding scale, it is something you have or you don't and iti s the one qualification to have a right not to be a feed animal.''

Gorgondantess
2009-08-05, 05:12 PM
"Ah. Well then. So you believe that a god has no right to take your life when the time comes, that death itself of any cause is murder?"

Weezer
2009-08-05, 05:30 PM
Sorus

''Do not put words in my mouth, I said no such thing. I said no sentient can be a food animal, there are times when everyone must die, no one may live forever.''

Gorgondantess
2009-08-05, 05:34 PM
"So? Then we will kill you. What matter is it that we feed on you or not?"

Weezer
2009-08-05, 06:02 PM
Sorus

''Apprantly I wasn't clear enough. There are valid reasons to kill a sentient being, for example if they've commited asome heinous crime, but for food or at a whim is never one of them.''

Gorgondantess
2009-08-05, 06:05 PM
"Hm. Well then, I suppose you'll never listen. I believe that there are varying definitions of sentience, depending on your own level thereof. Typical, really, that you would disagree- especially in this situation. I doubt any argument, no matter how logical, would sway you. Nevertheless, it's been an enjoyable discertation."

Weezer
2009-08-05, 06:24 PM
Sorus

''While 'enjoyable' is not the word I would use this has been an undenyably elucidating conversation. I agree, it seems that we are unlikely to reach any sort of agreement our world-views are far too disparate for that.''

tonberryking
2009-08-07, 09:21 PM
Very, Very, Angry Bast

The catwoman seethes as the exchange goes on, she'd probably discover how to rage in the next five minutes if her peaked senses of survival and pragmatism didn't sneak up on her temper from behind and tackle it. She snatches up the torch however, holding it up higher to try to spot just how high up their [Not Very Nice] captor is standing to gloat. However she tries to keep her mind and her thoughts a perfect blank aside from some foul obscenities that slip through directed towards the lineage of the mind-flayer.

Spot check: [roll0]

Gorgondantess
2009-08-07, 09:51 PM
Okay... you see an illithid in a robe. What a victory.:smallamused:

tonberryking
2009-08-07, 09:57 PM
Bast ponders giving the squid the bird. Or whatever passes for a rotten gesture. But instead she's going to take a good look at the fugly, to ascertain the exact likeness of her captor for later. Probably during the Revenge portion of her story assuming she lives so long.

I need another spot?

Gorgondantess
2009-08-07, 09:59 PM
(Why would you need another spot? You can see all that you need to see.)

Weezer
2009-08-07, 10:01 PM
Sorus

It appears we have nothing to do now but wait, unless you have some brilliant ideas?

tonberryking
2009-08-07, 10:03 PM
Bast

Bast doesn't say anything, though she gives a look to Sorus that looks sly. Apparently wanting to be out of sight, she takes the torch and moves away as if trying to find some spot to sit down out of the mindflayer's sight, her back turned to it.

Weezer
2009-08-07, 10:09 PM
Sorus

Moving over to whatever corner Bastet has secluded herself, Sorus observes and trys to figure out the cat's devious plan.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-10, 01:16 AM
Justice is patient, but strict. If Irishman would like to continue, he can either make a new character or be raised, losing the requisite level.
The illithid leaves, and as you huddle in your corners, you find that Edwick has fallen asleep and drowned in the puddle of water.
So, do you want to do anything now?

tonberryking
2009-08-10, 02:42 AM
Bastet sighs. She actually liked the halfling too, but escape is paramount. She looks around quickly.

I gotta crash now, but as I do, lemme ask: Can anything Bast Sorus, or the recently departed Edwick are wearing count as gauze? I'mma gonna need it for a spell. Action's coming when I wake up.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-10, 02:46 AM
Y'know what? Sure, yeah. It works.

tonberryking
2009-08-10, 10:13 AM
Bastet

Tearing off two ragged scraps from the hem of her cloak, Bastet forces the torch into Sorus' hands. She begins to chant something under her breath, but even in a hushed whisper, the strong intone of hope and power are clear. She goes through the spell twice, one for the wizard, then herself. Casting Heroism on self and Sorus; getting that damn +2 to will saves to keep squiddies outta my head... or make it harder for them. Duration's an hour and a half "This should keep them out. Now stand very still, this is going to feel funny.

The next spell takes a bit longer. Taking the torch back, Bast chucks the first scrap into the torch flame. A whispered litany runs from her lips as the torches smokey wisps which turn greenish gold. Magic taking hold, the torch emits quite a bit of smoke that snakes around the wizard, when Bast touches him, his form starts imitating the smoke's quality. Just as sudden, Sorus becomes a wispy, cloudy mist.

"Keep quiet. Follow behind me and don't drift away from me. But watch our backs. are the last things she can say before her mouth disappears, Bast casting the same spell on herself.

Bast Cloud

Casting gaseous form, FTW!!! First thing I'm doing is floating us the hell out of this pit, and for as long as the duration lasts (18 minutes) I'm going to float around near the top of the cave ceiling, hoping to find our gear or something for weaponry. Bast has two more charges, me may can just grab our gear and *escape* entirely.

Weezer
2009-08-10, 10:38 AM
Sorus

Following Bastet out of the hole and along whatever passageway presents itself, Sorus keeps an eye out for any mind-flayers approaching.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-10, 12:44 PM
As Bast puts the gauze in the torch, she finds it doesn't burn. It just sits there. In fact, it seems to be strangely heatless...
And then you realize it: the torch is magical. All it can do is provide light.

tonberryking
2009-08-10, 12:53 PM
So all that was reconned? It doesn't give off ANY smoke? Sorus, quick, you can cast prestidigitation, right? We can still do this.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-10, 12:55 PM
Yes, it was retconned. If it can't happen it didn't happen.

tonberryking
2009-08-10, 12:57 PM
Buggery. Still, if Sorus can cast prestidigitation, we can get our smoke. Or are there any rocks we can strike nearby for rocks?

Gorgondantess
2009-08-10, 12:59 PM
Well, Sorus doesn't have it prepared.
And yes, there are rocks, but you don't know how they'll hold up for striking for smoke.

tonberryking
2009-08-10, 01:00 PM
Show we take this to the OOC? In anycase, Bast can try to do it, or hell, strike the torch with a rock and see if it gives off any smoke.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-10, 11:40 PM
Bast strikes the rocks together, getting no reaction but causing them to crumble a bit. She strikes them against her dress, only tearing it. She hits it against Edwick's body, causing it to bleed out sluggish, congealed blood.
All in all, the rock is cold and damp and soft.

Weezer
2009-08-11, 02:09 PM
Sorus

Seeing that Bastet's spell failed, Sorus begins to mutter some incantations and wave his hands about.
Rising to his feet Sorus turns to Bast and says Here, I think I can carry you out of this rather dank hole, its not quite as elegant as your solution but its what I can do. Stepping forward Sorus extends his arms, preparing to lift Bast off of the ground, but waiting for her approval before continuing.

just realized i never said which spell I cast; Overland Flight

tonberryking
2009-08-11, 08:46 PM
Bast

If she wasn't covered in fur she'd be dark red in the face. Bast holds off for the moment, waving off Sorus's offer to leap at the walls, clawing at them in silent fury, trying to get up the length.

Climb check. >< [roll0]

If it fails: Fuming inwardly, Bast storms back over to the wizard, holding arms akimbo so she can be lifted up and away~

Weezer
2009-08-11, 10:41 PM
Sorus

Shaking his head slightly at the futility of Bastet's attempt to climb, Sorus gently lifts teh cat-woman off her feet, flying out of their prison and depositing her on the floor.
Now ther we're out of there its time to regain our possesions and then make our final escape.
Looking around Sorus tries to find any entrances or god forbid guards.

I assumed an 8 failed but if not, Sorus will just fly up by himself, everything else the same

Gorgondantess
2009-08-11, 10:54 PM
You land in the tunnel, with only the torch to light your way. It's very dark, and you can't see far. Up ahead is a fork in the tunnel- you can't see very far down either one. No guards are in sight.

tonberryking
2009-08-11, 11:07 PM
Bast

Not one to take chances, Bast passes the torch off to Sorus as she sings again under the breath, this time summoning in her hands a mandolin.

Yes. A mandolin. Which she cannot play, but promptly holds upside down, club fashion in what would otherwise be a humorous improvised weapon. She seems aware of the ridiculousness inherent, but doesn't care if it keeps her alive a minute longer than without.

Move silently on a little ways ahead but still where she can see: [roll0] And some listen: [roll1]

Gorgondantess
2009-08-12, 01:39 AM
You travel into the *flips coin because you didn't say* righthand passageway. It goes on for a while, and you don't see any guards or anything... finally, you come to a sort of underground lake. The water is an ugly, brackish green-black, impossible to see through, and eerily still. The lake encompasses the chole chamber, aside from a bit of a beach, where you stand now. At the other side, you can just barely make out another corridor.

Weezer
2009-08-12, 10:16 AM
Sorus

Inspecting the area around the lake Sorus reaches the conclusion that he can't walk around it and theres no way he'd try to swim. Speaking to Bast he says, Shall I fly us across?

tonberryking
2009-08-12, 06:14 PM
Bast

"If you can, but I don't want you depleting all of our escape plans-- spells, yes spells-- before we're ready to leave this horrible place." Bast sighs, looking over the brackish goo.

"Time isn't on our side but if we have scant enough I'd rather explore the reaches of that other path first...

Weezer
2009-08-12, 08:26 PM
Sorus

Well my flight spell lasts approximately another 10 hours so it would be more of a waste not to use it. Also while I have no idea where this goes, it stands to reason that our captors wouldnt pass here regularly or they would've built a bridge. So this may be the best way to avoid encountering them. He replies.

tonberryking
2009-08-12, 08:36 PM
Bast

Sighing, and holding her arms out again, Bast complies. "Very well, but if they don't come here this often, why would they go to the trouble of caching our gear so far out of the way?"

Weezer
2009-08-12, 08:41 PM
Sorus

Crap I forgot about our gear for a minute, my apologies. I think that it would be more likely that there the other direction.
Clearly frustrated at his slip, Sorus turns and backtracks to the fork and take the other passageway, on the lookout for signs of mindflayer activity.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-13, 02:46 PM
You travel down the hallway, not finding any mindflayer activity until you're right on to of it; you come to a massive, expansive chamber. You're at the top of a hill, leading down into a valley; at the bottom is a pulsing, undulating, screaming, chanting mass of human bodies, lit only by a few candles. You don't want to guess at what they're doing. To the side is an illithid, eyes closed, concentrating. Finally, one of the people below notice you- a scream tears apart from the crowd, and they all start moving, running clambering... towards you.

tonberryking
2009-08-13, 03:00 PM
Bast
She's already running back towards the goo lake.

"Right, well, I can always get a new flute..." Bast comments, hitching up her skirt and hauling ass back towards the now much more appealingly safe pathway. What in the name of the Gods was that thing?!"

Weezer
2009-08-13, 03:03 PM
Sorus

Turning to flee with Bast Sourus sprints back towards the lake. Gasping he says I do not know, my only guess would be a strange and twisted mind control experiment but thats pretty much a given.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-13, 03:15 PM
Assuming that Sorus makes use of his overland flight spell, ans assuming Bast makes use of her totally kawai catgirl speed, you both fall far ahead of the revelers, and they end up lost in the caves, screaming and wailing, unable to see without the light of your torch. You make it to the lake quite easily.

Weezer
2009-08-13, 03:20 PM
Sorus

After reaching the lake shore Sorus approaches Bastet and unless she protests he lifts her off her feet and begins to fly across the lake. Wary of the lake Sorus flies along the ceiling of the cavern staying as far from the surface of the lake as possible.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-13, 04:14 PM
You both fly across the water (assuming Bast does not object) without incident. You travel down the tunnel, and the screams fade away. You travel, and travel, for about an hour. It shows no end, and you have no food or provisions.

Weezer
2009-08-13, 08:23 PM
Sorus

Slowing to a stop, Sorus turns to face Bast and says This seems to be going on forever, do you think we should go back and try that route again? Or do you think they've been too stirred up for that?

tonberryking
2009-08-14, 03:14 PM
Bast

Wishing for some sort of end in sight, Bast tries to weigh the options on the one hand, this can't go on forever, but on the other, the spell keeping them afloat can't either.

"Do we have any choice? We didn't see any boats so they may very well have given up but ... Oh buckets, this is a quagmire. We may have to fly *over* them and try another route if they're still there... How long does this spell of yours last?

Weezer
2009-08-14, 10:51 PM
btw we're past the water, it was a relatively short crossing and were in tunnels again now

Sorus
My spell lasts 10 hours from when I cast it so my conservative guess would be 8 1/2 hours left. We probably don't need to fly over them, I have a spell that would be perfect for killing a mob just like the one we saw back there, the major problem would be dealing with the mind flayer guy.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-19, 02:01 AM
So... what do you do?

Weezer
2009-08-19, 09:31 AM
Sorus

Getting impatient waiting for Bast, Sorus scours the corridor for a handful of roundish stones which he then polishes as he moves. Then he turns and moves down the tunnel back towards the strange cultesque gathering.

tonberryking
2009-08-20, 01:35 PM
Bast

"yes, well, I can't see any other course of action..." the catwoman grumbles as they head back towards the cult. However, this time she's going to be ready for them...

"Can I get my arms free somehow? I'm going to summon a cello and drop it on the first insane crazy person or squid faced who dares impede our journey any further."

Gorgondantess
2009-08-20, 02:28 PM
You fly over to the area, Bast's arms full of a jumble of brass instruments. As you near the entrace, you see the people doing their insanity as normal... and three mindflayers floating above them, hands prone. One of them sees you, and points; they begin to float forwards.

Weezer
2009-08-20, 02:37 PM
Sorus

Reacting quickly to the expected mind flayer presence, Sorus immediately beginds mumbling an incantation. When he completes the incantation a yellow green fog appears in the air, spreading from just in front of the him and Bast to cover the mindflayers and as many of their reveling followers as possible.

casting cloudkill

tonberryking
2009-08-20, 03:50 PM
Bast meanwhile, holding an armload of heavy brass instruments, prepares a cunning 'attack' (action) to drop the load of them onto her former captors the moment she thinks they're getting within range.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-21, 10:50 PM
Sorus fires off the cloudkill spell, killing every last one of the revelers and getting two of the illihids in the blast; they seem relatively unhindered, however.

Suddenly, Sorus gets an impulse, and it is simply this: open your hands.
Sorus does so, and Bast is dropped all the way to the ground... 50 feet. She lands on her feet, atop the pile of instuments, and her ankle snaps.
-20' move, -4 dex.

tonberryking
2009-08-25, 11:30 AM
Bast Bast Bast Bast

Casting Mirror Image, and we get [roll0] for the number of Mirror Image Basts

Bast cries out in horrific pain, cursing herself for a lack of healing spells, though she has a back up plan. Limping and trying not to scream, she boldly puts on a show of determination and casts a spell... which makes at least 4 other limping cat girls in a loose random formation. The original lost amongst them, Bast looks around for the quickest route of escape, hopefully it'll lead her gimped way to gear or safety.

Her AC's now 19, and the mirror images are AC 13, and she can still move 20 feet per round

Weezer
2009-08-26, 02:15 PM
Sorus

Quickly looking about to find the nearest outcropping of mica, Sorus flies to it and then turns back to face the mind-flayers and chants a few arcane words. A mist appears obscuring the mind flayers from view.

move to mica
cast obscuring mist as close to myself and bast at possible w/o covering ourselves but blocking us from the ithillids.

since i've already moved to the mica would it be a move action to pick it up?

Gorgondantess
2009-08-26, 02:17 PM
No, no. I said it would take at least a full-round action to grab the mica. Roll a search check.

Weezer
2009-08-26, 02:19 PM
okay thats fair
Search:[roll0]

Gorgondantess
2009-08-26, 03:05 PM
Sorus gropes around for mica, finally finding a piece. He reaches out for it... then he blacks out. He collapses to the floor, breathing erratically, heavily. He reaches out for it again, and begins to black out once more...
(To simplify things, crisis of breath (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/crisisofBreath.htm).)
Bast feels something similar, but quickly shakes it off.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-29, 12:24 AM
Well, go on now, do something, I haven't got all month.

Weezer
2009-08-29, 11:17 AM
Sorus

While fighting to breathe Sorus continues to scrabble at the mica, attempting to pry it loose while still staying breathing.

Ye gods, can't I ever make a will save

Gorgondantess
2009-08-29, 01:05 PM
Sorus successfully does so, and still has a standard action. If you take it, roll the fort save...

Weezer
2009-08-29, 01:40 PM
I'm going to spend the action breathing, if i cant make the save w/ my good stat there's no way i'll make it with fort and I cant risk being disabled.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-29, 02:00 PM
Let's talk about that.
Unless you risk being disabled, there's nothing to risk. If you can't take standard actions, then why bother even being in this combat? But, if you'd still like to stick with breathing, then go ahead.

Weezer
2009-08-29, 02:15 PM
Its not being disabled that I'm worried about, its slipping into dying the next round. If i fail the save, even if I'm able to blind all of them, which if they've moved at all i cant be sure of, i'll still be at -1 hp w/ no healing of any sort available. I'll try to breathe when I can get LOS to the mindflayers, then it'll be worth the risk.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-29, 02:17 PM
...you do have line of sight to the illithids. It's an empty room.

Weezer
2009-08-29, 02:19 PM
What about obscuring mist? That should block LOS

Gorgondantess
2009-08-29, 02:20 PM
...right, right. Sorry.:smallredface:
Well then, Bast's up.

Weezer
2009-08-29, 02:22 PM
Well actually now I'm wondering, how were we targeted by crisis of breath if theres no LOS?

Gorgondantess
2009-08-29, 02:26 PM
Coz they're cool like that, now shut up. (No, really, they actually can get LOS through the mist.)

Weezer
2009-08-29, 02:27 PM
Mkay
white text

Gorgondantess
2009-09-04, 11:29 PM
That's it, I'm tired of waiting for you to post. Skipped turn. Doesn't really matter, though.
The illithids turn their gaze towards Bast, and she is frozen in place, unable to even think.
They then hit Sorus with a similar effect.
All three descending, they walk towards you... then with a flash of light from behind, they explode into flames from behind. All thoroughly singed, the holding is ended, and they turn to see the newcomer. It is a man, likely half elf, wearing nothing but a pair of brown, worn pants. He carries a 4' long driftwood stick, with a large stone lashed to the end. On his head is a bandage, wrapped around to completely cover his scalp, and one ear and eye. It is stained with blood, grime and an unidentifiable greenish fluid. He leaps forward, swinging his cudgel and caving in the skull of one of the illithids. The other two raise their hands, touching the wounded, and flee. The man stands there, panting heavily.

Weezer
2009-09-06, 09:06 AM
Sorus

Still panting for breath, Sorus floats over towards the newcomer, warily sizing him up. When Sorus reaches the stranger he bows formally and says "Many thanks for your timely rescue, me and my friend here were in a bit of a tight spot. I'm known as Sorus, who might you be?