PDA

View Full Version : Intercepting Fist (Base Class 3.5E) (PEACH)

Thespianus
2009-06-15, 04:35 PM
Intercepting Fist

"Eat. Sleep. Move your bowel. There is no more. A punch, you ask? A punch is just a punch."
- Venerable Dree lab Hornan, Intercepting Fist.

Steeped deep in mysteries, the Intercepting Fist seeks enlightenment from everyday things.
Fierce in combat, mostly shunning weapons in favor of their mighty fists, they wander
the countrysides and the city streets with the same ease. Looking for that one moment
of insight that will bring them further towards their goal.

Game Rule Information
Intercepting Fists have the following game statistics
Abilities: Wisdom controls many of the Intercepting Fists abilities. Dexterity provides additional protection and Strength and COnstitution helps the Intercepting Fist in combat.
Alignment: Intercepting Fists can be of any alignment.
HD: D10
BAB: Good, like Fighter.
Saves: All Good, like Monk.

Class Skills
The Intercepting Fists's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff(Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex). See Chapter 4: Skills for
skill descriptions.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The Intercepting Fist are proficient with certain basic peasant weapons and some special weapons that are part of their training. The weapons with which an Intercepting Fist is proficient are club, dagger, dart, handaxe, javelin, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, siangham, and sling.

Unarmed Damage.
The Intercepting Fist does more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would do. The Intercepting Fist follows the same unarmed damage progression as the Monk (PHB, tables 3-10 and 3-11, p40-41). The Intercepting Fist also receives Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat.

Stunning Fist
The Intercepting Fist receives Stunning Fist as a bonus feat on level 1. The Intercepting Fist is treated as a Monk when it comes to determining the number of Stunning Fist attempts per day.

Rapid Punch (Ex)
When unarmored and unencumbered, the Intercepting Fist may strike with a series of unarmed attacks when creatures normally only may make one attack. During a standard action, after making one single unarmed attack, she may make one extra unarmed attack with a penalty of -5 on the attack roll.

At level 16, she can make one additional unarmed attack, after the second unarmed attack, with a penalty of -10 on the attack roll.

Signature Fists(Su)
At 2nd level, the Intercepting Fist gains the ability to form a supernatural bond with her natural weapons. She is able to gain the benefit of a +1 enchantment on her fists, effectively making her natural weapons magical weapons with a +1 enchantment bonus on attack and damage rolls.

On every other level after 2nd level, she can add another level of enchantment on her natural weapons. This ability is identical to the Kensai ability "Signature Weapon" (Complete Warrior, p 50) except that it only allows the Intercepting Fist to enchant her natural weapons. The XP costs are the same as in the Kensai ability.

Enlightened Combat (Ex)

At the first and the second level, and every 3rd level above 2nd, the Intercepting Fist gets to pick one feature that with gain the benefit of her Wisdom modifier. At these levels, she gets to pick one of the following
modifying abilities:

- Add her Wisdom modifier to her AC. This bonus to AC applies even against touch attacks or when the
Intercepting Fist is flat-footed. She loses this bonus when she is immobilized or helpless, when she
wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

- Use her wisdom modifier instead of her Strength or Dexterity bonus for making attack rolls. This
can only be used when making unarmed melee attacks or ranged attacks.

- Use her wisdom modifier instead of her Strength bonus for determining damage when making unarmed
melee attacks.

- Use her Wisdom instead of Str for one of the following combat action: Grapple, Trip, Bull Rush, Disarm, Sunder

- Add her Wisdom modifier to the result of the Bluff skill check she makes when Feinting in combat.

Once she has picked one of these, she can't pick the same ability again for her Enlightened Combat class feature at higher levels. The abilities don't stack.

AC Bonus.
An Intercepting Fist is highly trained at dodging blows, and she has a sixth sense that lets her avoid even unanticipated attacks. At level 5, the Intercepting Fist gains a +1 bonus to her AC. This bonus to AC applies even against touch attacks or when the Intercepting Fist is flat-footed. She loses this bonus when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

Mystery
Beginning at third level and every third level after that, the Intercepting Fist gains a mysterious power through her contemplations of the inscrutable universe. Pick on of the following:

Mysterious Dodge(Ex)
When unarmored and unencumbered, the Intercepting Fist gains the Uncanny Dodge ability, as described in PHB, p50. This mystery can only be taken once.

Mysterious Evasion(Ex)
When unarmored and unencumbered, the Intercepting Fist gains the Evasion ability, as desribed in PHB, p50. This mystery can only be taken once.

Mysterious Reach(Ex)
The Intercepting Fist gains the ability to temporarily extend her unarmed reach with 5 feet for one round as a free action. This ability can be used a number of times per day equal to the Intercepting Fists Wisdom modifier, and only when she is unarmored and unencumbered. Multiple uses of this ability in the same round do not stack. This mystery can only be taken once.

Mysterious Size(Ex)
The Intercepting Fist gains the ability to increase the damage caused by her unarmed attacks as if she temporarily had become one size larger for one round. This ability can never be used in a combination of other feats, abilities or spells to increase her effective size beyond Colossal. This ability can be used a number of times per day equal or less than the Intercepting Fist's Wisdom modifier. This mystery can only be taken once.

Improved Mysterious Dodge(Ex)
When unarmored and unencumbered, the Intercepting Fist gains the Improved Uncanny Dodge ability, as described in PHB, p50. Can only be taken after Mysterious Dodge has been picked at an earlier level.

Improved Mysterious Evasion(Ex)
When unarmored and unencumbered, the Intercepting Fist gains the Improved Evasion ability, as described in PHB, p51. Can only be taken after Mysterious Evasion has been picked at an earlier level.

Mysterious Blur(Ex)
When unarmored and unencumbered, the Intercepting Fist gains the effect of the spell Blur, but with a concealment rate of 10%. This mystery can be picked up to three times and the effects stack to a maximum of 30% concealment.

Bonus Fighter Feat
At level 4 and every 3 levels after that, the Intercepting Fist receives one bonus Fighter Feat. The effect of this fighter bonus feat only applies to her natural weapons and her ranged attacks, and only if she is unarmored.

{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Rapid Punch | Signature Fists | AC Bonus | Special
1st | +1 | +2 | +2 | +2 | +1/-4 | +0 | +0 | Improved Unarmed Strike, Rapid Punch, Stunning Fist, Enlightened Combat
2nd | +2 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +2/-3 | +1 | - | Enlightened Combat
3rd | +3 | +3 | +3 | +3 | +3/-2 | - | - | Mystery
4th | +4 | +4 | +4 | +4 | +4/-1 | +2 | - | Bonus Fighter Feat
5th | +5 | +4 | +4 | +4 | +5/+0 | - | +1 | Enlightened Combat
6th | +6/+1 | +5 | +5 | +5 | +6/+1 | +3 | - | Mystery
7th | +7/+2 | +5 | +5 | +5 | +7/+2 | - | - | Bonus Fighter Feat
8th | +8/+3 | +6 | +6 | +6 | +8/+3 | +4 | - | Enlightened Combat
9th | +9/+4 | +6 | +6 | +6 | +9/+4 | - | - | Mystery
10th | +10/+5 | +7 | +7 | +7 | +10/+5 | +5 | +2 | Bonus Fighter Feat
11th | +11/+6/+1 | +7 | +7 | +7 | +11/+6 | - | - | Enlightened Combat
12th | +12/+7/+2 | +8 | +8 | +8 | +2/+7 | +6 | - | Mystery
13rd | +13/+8/+3 | +8 | +8 | +8 | +3/+8 | - | - | Bonus Fighter Feat
14th | +14/+9/+4 | +9 | +9 | +9 | +4/+9 | +7 | - | Enlightened Combat
15th | +15/+10/+5 | +9 | +9 | +9 | +5/+10 | - | +3 | Mystery
16th | +16/+11/+6/+1 | +10 | +10 | +10 | +16/+11/+6 | +8 | - | Bonus Fighter Feat
17th | +17/+12/+7/+2 | +10 | +10 | +10 | +17/+12/+7 | - | - | Enlightened Combat
18th | +18/+13/+8/+3 | +11 | +11 | +11 | +18/+13/+8 | +9 | - | Mystery
19th | +19/+14/+9/+4 | +11 | +11 | +11 | +19/+14/+9 | - | - | Bonus Fighter Feat
20th | +20/+15/+10/+5 | +12 | +12 | +12 | +20/+15/+10 | +10 | +4 | Enlightened Combat [/table]

(I will add some comments below)

EDIT: Added Enlightened Combat to first level as well, and introduced Mystery, to make the class more flexible. If you want to focus on Evasion and Improved Evasion, you can. If you rather want a Blur-type effect to give you concealment, you can.
EDIT 2: Renamed the Mysteries

Thespianus
2009-06-15, 04:39 PM
Now, ok, WHY did you make another gdodman monk base class, Thespianus? WHY?!

I've been racking my brain for a way to make a decent unarmed combatant for 3.5E. This might be overkill in some areas, but my brain hurts now and I need the opinion of others.

My vision is the old, wisened traditional martial artist, Mr. Miagi of Karate Kid, or Chuin out of Remo The Destroyer, the character that just gets tougher the older he becomes. Gradually, over the course of the levels, Wisdom becomes more and more important, in favour of the other base attributes. I tried to get rid of the MAD of the Monk, but I might have gone too far. Please evaluate and be gentle. I know everyone has to make a monk fix. Can we see this as a rite of passage rather than flame bait? :)

I also added the feature Rapid Punch, which is the "opposite" of a Flurry of Blows. The Rapid Punch allows multiple unarmed attacks as a Standard Action. It will help out plenty, I believe.

I also stole some inspiration from the Kensai PrC and I added some Fighter Bonus Feats that only are allowed to apply to the unarmed attacks.

I also stole the name from Bruce Lee's martial art which he named "Jeet Kune Do", the "Way of the Intercepting Fist".

Ok, now.. Feel free to break this or just tell me I'm stupid. I probably deserve it. :smallbiggrin:

The Mentalist
2009-06-15, 05:02 PM
No SR, Better Hit die, Full BaB, it's better than the monk already. Signature fists and the fighter feats are a nice touch.

Thespianus
2009-06-15, 05:05 PM
No SR, Better Hit die, Full BaB, it's better than the monk already. Signature fists and The fighter feats are a nice touch.

Thanks. I understand that it's better than the Monk in combat, at least for lashing out damage, but the question is: Is it any good? ;) Or, maybe too much stuff?

I wanted to keep the class interesting for all 20 levels, and the Signature Fists and the Rapid Punch features might make the class okish all the way to the top.

Thanks for your response! :)

The Mentalist
2009-06-15, 05:08 PM
I think improved evasion may come a bit too late but that's the only glaring flaw I can find.

Thespianus
2009-06-15, 09:43 PM
I think improved evasion may come a bit too late but that's the only glaring flaw I can find.

Ok.. It was hard to find a slot for it earlier, but I hear you. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Thespianus
2009-06-16, 03:14 PM
I have changed the abilities that previously were named "...of the Deity" to "Mysteries", and enabled the Intercepting Fist to pick what Mystery he wishes to pick up. This way Improved Evasion can be gained as early as Level 6, but at the cost of Uncanny Dodge, improved reach or the new Blur effect.