PDA

View Full Version : dnd for 1?

wizuriel
2009-06-15, 06:28 PM
Hey, trying to twist/encourage my GF to try a game of dnd (3.5). Now the problems are can only have like 1-1.5hr session and I've never tried to DM (thoug looked at it). I figured the best way to try and teach her would be with some easy modules. So anyone know an easy module that is good for 1 new player? She seems interested in making a ranger or a druid.

edit: Thanks for the help. Going try to homebrew something. ideas so far (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6301763#post6301763)

Flickerdart
2009-06-15, 06:29 PM
Tomb of Horrors should fit the bill. :smallwink:

Aneantir
2009-06-15, 06:41 PM

The perfect beginner session! Theres hardly even any monsters.

TheThan
2009-06-15, 06:46 PM
Technically it takes two to play dnd (and to tango but that’s a different topic).

I would suggest finding out what sort of fantasy related things she likes, since she’s your girl friend it’s a good bet that you already know a few things. But do a little extra prodding and poking (not physically unless she’s into that sort of thing) and find out for sure what she’s interested in.

Once you figure out how to do that, you get the fun job of Dming a small campaign centered around the things she likes. For instance of she likes vampires or werewolves, then use them. If she’s into fairies and pixy dust, make a game around them.

Emong
2009-06-15, 06:48 PM
The perfect beginner session! Theres hardly even any monsters.

Now, now guys we don't want to traumatize her. :smalltongue:

As for beginning adventures I've always been fond of A Dark and Stormy Knight, which just so happens to be up on Wizard's website somewhere for free. (Now if only I could find it. :smallsigh:)

holywhippet
2009-06-15, 07:09 PM
Start with a mystery type adventure. Get her used to thinking like her character and making skill checks. Maybe throw in a few light battles that she can easily win.

raptor1056
2009-06-15, 07:14 PM
Start with a mystery type adventure. Get her used to thinking like her character and making skill checks. Maybe throw in a few light battles that she can easily win.

This definitely. Whenever getting a new player into DnD, I make a point to make playing a character, and enjoyably, takes first priority. I often, if DMing, include a ton of the whole "This guy says X, other guy says Y, which do we trust?" stuff. That all is very rules-light, and is a ton of fun.

Maerok
2009-06-15, 07:17 PM
Rely heavily on BoVD. I've yet to meet a girl that isn't wooed by dark incantations and ritual sacrifice.

Barring that, I would advise not catering to the 'girl gamer' set-up: such as pixies and fairies as it is often hopelessly suggested. Go straight traditional fantasy if you must fall back on something. DM what you wanna DM, and you might impress her with ingenuity and the ability to not do any 'hand-holding' along the way.

TheThan
2009-06-15, 07:25 PM

Better idea:
Book of Erotic Fantasy,

Its perfect for a couple, just keep in mind that gets a little kinky, and even a bit goofy (PRC for a peeping tom wizard…). But it’s a good read, and might even lead to a session of… something else. :smallbiggrin:

wizuriel
2009-06-15, 07:26 PM
k if anyone knows a skill heavy module featuring an elvish city would be most thankful

Flickerdart
2009-06-15, 07:29 PM
Better idea:
Book of Erotic Fantasy,

Its perfect for a couple, just keep in mind that gets a little kinky, and even a bit goofy (PRC for a peeping tom wizard…). But it’s a good read, and might even lead to a session of… something else. :smallbiggrin:
Tomb of Horrors screws you over a lot more thoroughly than BoEF ever dreamed of.

TheThan
2009-06-15, 07:37 PM
Tomb of Horrors screws you over a lot more thoroughly than BoEF ever dreamed of.

Yes but with BOEF you can get lucky… unlike with Tomb of horrors. :smallbiggrin:

d13
2009-06-15, 07:50 PM
Yes but with BOEF you can get lucky… unlike with Tomb of horrors. :smallbiggrin:

He doesn't need to "get lucky". It's his girlfriend, for Pelor's sake! xD

Maerok
2009-06-15, 08:00 PM
He doesn't need to "get lucky". It's his girlfriend, for Pelor's sake! xD

It's funny how things like that work out...

Lappy9000
2009-06-15, 08:26 PM
Dunno about modules, but I ran a very successful (like "holy freakin' crud, did you really just manage that?" successful) adventure for a friend one time.

Our friends were very, very late, and we decided to mess around in the current dungeon I had them in. It was a city taken over by spawn of Tiamat (MMIV) of all colors. The party had infiltrated the central fortress in the last session and were resting in a broom closet when we finished.

So, Took, the 7th-level changeling rogue decides to do some solo scouting. Turning into a lizardfolk (passable enough for a dragonspawn) and donning his cloak, he managed to fool the guards with some amazing Bluff rolls, killed another group of guards while jumping from under one bed to another, and even started a "race riot" between the differing colors and took control of the entire town through a coup. Yes, he took over the entire town, by himself, pocketed any gold he could find, and went back into the broom closet where the rest of the party was still asleep.

If you're good at improv, you can pull it off just fine. I'd suggest a city-based adventure personally.

Maerok
2009-06-15, 08:35 PM
How about DMGII's Salt Marsh as a starting point (quiet city/town but many hidden threats; was included as a sort of standby for the DM caught offguard IIRC)? I've been trying to remind myself why I bought that thing in the first place...

But if you're looking for elves, I'm not sure where to find them module-wise.

Tempest Fennac
2009-06-16, 01:06 AM
My approach would be to try taking her up from level 1 to whoever long the game lasts while demonstrating things (while giving advice on how to get whatever character concept she wants) while trying to base the game around her character concept. (My logic is that there's a chance that she'll get frustrated if her character is ineffective. Admittedly, toning the difficulty down is much easier if there's only 1 player.)

golfmade
2009-06-16, 10:04 AM
Personal .02 to the topic at hand:

I only started playing pencil and paper D&D last year and well, as I live in Taiwan there aren't many people here that play. At the time only my GM and myself could get together and play. First character I rolled up was a 1st level ranger. GM had already created a world and set me in it but otherwise he helped walk me through everything. My ranger is still alive, nearly died a few times but I personally am really proud that A) He's still alive despite being alone and B) He's got a kick ass great bow now!

hamishspence
2009-06-16, 12:05 PM
Dragon Compendium had a "D&D for 1" article- how to randomly generate the dungeon so the player, who is also the DM, has some fun.