PDA

View Full Version : IE Problem (Why do I ask you all? Because you're smart)

Setra
2009-06-15, 06:37 PM
Basically I cannot use IE.. like.. at all.

I can open it.. and it looks like it's loading.. then zip. It says it's trying to connect to the IP of the webpage or whatever but it doesn't.

Now normally I could care less, I use Firefox.. just one problem.. Steam doesn't.

I can't access the Steam Store or Community because of this, but even worse? I can't access 'Activate this Gift' and my friend just got me Left 4 Dead.

I can click on the things like tools and whatnot etc. but when I try to click on anything, say 'Internet Options' it clicks but nothing opens.

I can give more information as needed, I'd really like to fix this.. alternatively is there a way to make Steam use Firefox as its browser?

Mando Knight
2009-06-15, 06:53 PM
alternatively is there a way to make Steam use Firefox as its browser?

There must be... because my STEAM uses Firefox...

Perhaps set Firefox to your system's default browser?

Generic Archer
2009-06-15, 07:16 PM
Download IE tab for Firefox, that'll get around all the webpages that need IE, I don't use steam so i have no idea on that front

Dane

Setra
2009-06-15, 07:18 PM
There must be... because my STEAM uses Firefox...

Perhaps set Firefox to your system's default browser?
It is..

Hmm I was looking at options for Steam but I've yet to find one.. maybe I need to look harder..

Edit: Nevermind I fixed it by getting IE8... Sorry for the trouble =p Thanks for the help though

Khanderas
2009-06-16, 02:01 AM
It is..

Hmm I was looking at options for Steam but I've yet to find one.. maybe I need to look harder..

Edit: Nevermind I fixed it by getting IE8... Sorry for the trouble =p Thanks for the help though
Could be he means set your comp's default browser to Firefox on the comp, not Steam.

Check firefox around options or something (No firefox at work).

You problebly start up firefox with "doubleclick on the icon".
Your comp thinks that IE is your default (still).
Steam loads up "<users default browser>" and fails (both to get it started.. and because its IE :smallcool:)

jake_ie8team
2009-06-19, 09:26 AM
Setra,

Try this guide on the Internet Explorer website that's dedicated to this issue - http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_start

If all else fails, try uninstalling and reinstalling IE 8 - http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/448b12c8-83f3-47c1-aa26-5d4a8e6422461033.mspx

Or try a system restore!

- Jake

MSFT Internet Explorer Outreach Team