PDA

View Full Version : Place yer bets - the Order's next quest

JonestheSpy
2009-06-15, 07:25 PM
Normally, I dislike prediction threads, but this time I can't resist.

I see two probable options for Our Heroes now: Follow their original plan to go find the gate on the Western Continent, or a dungeon crawl in the Azure Sewers trying to grab the plylactery before Team Evil does, and hopefully spirit it away before Xykon knows it's been located at all.

Anyone want to hazard a guess?

theinsulabot
2009-06-15, 07:27 PM
V and o-chul were frozen, and looking the wrong direction, they wouldn't of seen where the phylactory went, and x didnt really start talking about it after they left. they wouldn't know its in the sewers

R. Shackleford
2009-06-15, 07:29 PM
Maybe Haley's Dad will finally be brought back up?

Zevox
2009-06-15, 07:30 PM
As mentioned, they don't know that Xykon's phylactery fell in the sewers.

Also, they have no way back to Azure City. V can't teleport without the Splice, remember? Not to mention Cloister would still block them even if she could.

Zevox

[TS] Shadow
2009-06-15, 07:34 PM
Their only option at this point (other than heading to Girard's Gate, of course) is to help Hinjo and the fleet settle in. It's actually relatively plausible; there's monsters to kill and Roy needs to catch up on XP, moreso now that he's a level behind due to ressurection.

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-15, 07:37 PM
Taking the second ring to the hill of Manwhore.

shadzar
2009-06-15, 07:39 PM
In order to find the way to save V from the fiends the order will have to find a shrubbery. :smallbiggrin:

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-15, 07:43 PM
In order to find the way to save V from the fiends the order will have to find a shrubbery. :smallbiggrin:

Ofcourse! My idea was just stupid. :smalltongue:

DamonKashu
2009-06-15, 07:44 PM
As mentioned, they don't know that Xykon's phylactery fell in the sewers.

Also, they have no way back to Azure City. V can't teleport without the Splice, remember? Not to mention Cloister would still block them even if she could.

Zevox

But they do know it's lost, Xykon complained this point to them before stuffing his hand into O-Chul's throat.

Despite having this knowledge, I doubt the Order would like to compete with the Xykon's entire army for searching for the phylactery.

My bets are on them going to the next gate.

homeosapiens
2009-06-15, 08:01 PM
Miko was summoned by O-chul, so i guess we are going to see just a lil bit of her. After all Celia is a boring character :-).

NerfTW
2009-06-15, 09:05 PM
Going back to Azure city would take weeks, possibly months. Then they would be just six people combing the sewers for a tiny pendent, while avoiding attacks by an army of hobgoblins who would also be searching.

Going back for the phylactary isn't even an option right now. If anything, they know that Xykon isn't going to risk being destroyed until he has the phylactary safe again. And they're already on the western continent.

The refugees are settling in and are likely safe. The order's obligation to them has ended. The most prudent course of action would be to get to the next gate before Xykon does.

shadzar
2009-06-15, 09:38 PM
Ofcourse! My idea was just stupid. :smalltongue:

No, just that Xykon has already seen them trying to take the Ming somewhere. :smallwink:

Mystic Muse
2009-06-16, 12:10 AM
50$ on Haley's dad Bob!

SPoD
2009-06-16, 01:07 AM
Don't say it will take too long, Durkon has Wind Walk. If it can get them to Greysky City in a few days, it can get them to Azure City. And Cloister won't affect it.

However, that doesn't mean that's what I think will happen. I think the OOTS go to Girard's Gate (which will just happen to be in the nation of Tyrinar), while O-Chul (and Lien?) sails back to Azure City stealthily to hook up with the Resistance and lead them to search for the phylactery.

Elemental_Elf
2009-06-16, 01:20 AM
The Order will help the Azurites settle in then move onto the next Gate.

factotum
2009-06-16, 01:28 AM
They're on the opposite continent to Azure City, which is still protected by Cloister. Unless one of the nobles happens to have an epic wizard in their retinue they ain't teleporting back there, and Wind Walk wouldn't work over such a long distance--60mph for the maximum duration Durkon can cast the spell for would take them around 800 miles, and the ocean between the two continents looks a lot wider than that.

Oh, and that's ignoring the minor detail that Azure City is still under the control of an epic lich, two near-epic spellcasters, and more hobgoblins than you can shake a stick at, all of whom are going to be very interested in the sewers themselves for the foreseeable future...

Morquard
2009-06-16, 02:47 AM
Miko was summoned by O-chul, so i guess we are going to see just a lil bit of her. After all Celia is a boring character :-).
Unless you think ANYONE would consider Miko "the most learned scribe of Azure City", I must have missed that.

theinsulabot
2009-06-16, 06:39 AM
Unless you think ANYONE would consider Miko "the most learned scribe of Azure City", I must have missed that.

if thats the case, join me in weeping for the state of azure cities scribes

Primy
2009-06-16, 06:44 AM
Miko would be the best scribe. SoD introduction anyone? :P

Optimystik
2009-06-16, 09:22 AM
Miko would be the best scribe. SoD introduction anyone? :P

SLASH! SLASH! SLASH!

Personally, I was hoping for a rez for Sangwaan :smallfrown:

Shadow;6298138']Their only option at this point (other than heading to Girard's Gate, of course) is to help Hinjo and the fleet settle in. It's actually relatively plausible; there's monsters to kill and Roy needs to catch up on XP, moreso now that he's a level behind due to ressurection.

We don't know that Roy will be behind the others in levels yet. He might even have been a level ahead, with this setback putting him equal to the others. It's harder to measure with melee types.

Souhiro
2009-06-16, 09:33 AM
Well, I think that the next strips will have Haley & Rlan enjoying a little time together, Celia & Roy enjoying a little time together, Vaarsuvius and Belkar enjoyung a little time together, and Durkon and O'chul making the oracle to eat his own esophagus.

Optimystik
2009-06-16, 11:18 AM
Well, I think that the next strips will have Haley & Rlan enjoying a little time together, Celia & Roy enjoying a little time together, Vaarsuvius and Belkar enjoyung a little time together, and Durkon and O'chul making the oracle to eat his own esophagus.

I hope you were joking about Vaarsuvius and Belkar; they still hate each other despite V's dip in the "deep end of the alignment pool."

Durkon and O-Chul have no reason to hate the Oracle. Durkon was quite happy about his prophecy, and O-Chul has no relation to the Oracle that we've seen.

Further, the Oracle is close to Azure City, and the party probably won't be heading that way with Xykon so incensed.

Timberboar
2009-06-16, 11:43 AM
Further, the Oracle is close to Azure City, and the party probably won't be heading that way with Xykon so incensed.

True enough, but as an aside I would love to see some interaction between Xykon and the Oracle.

Kaytara
2009-06-16, 11:56 AM
I'm betting that they will set out in the direction of Girard's Gate and somehow be forced to get involved with Haley's quest to save her dad. Nale and Lord Tyrinnar and certain to play a role. Maybe they'll arrive to see that Lord Tyrinnar controls the area the Gate is supposed to be in.

Snake-Aes
2009-06-16, 11:57 AM
SLASH! SLASH! SLASH!

We don't know that Roy will be behind the others in levels yet. He might even have been a level ahead, with this setback putting him equal to the others. It's harder to measure with melee types.
Apparently most of them leveled in that year of separation, so that's a 2 levels gap.

David Argall
2009-06-16, 03:28 PM
I'm betting that they will set out in the direction of Girard's Gate and somehow be forced to get involved with Haley's quest to save her dad. Nale and Lord Tyrinnar and certain to play a role. Maybe they'll arrive to see that Lord Tyrinnar controls the area the Gate is supposed to be in.
Pretty much the best bet.
Note that Xykon & friends will be kept busy by the search for a conveniently long time. So there is time for the party to play with Nale, Lord Tyrinnar, and the rescue of Haley's dad on the way to the gate and still arrive just as Xykon does.

Bibliomancer
2009-06-16, 03:35 PM
I think that they will proceed directly to the Gate without collecting 200xp from the island, especially since there probably isn't a level gap, given that Roy was the highest level warrior of good (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0485.html) on the field when he died. They might run into Haley's dad, because that would be a handy way of introducing that sub-plot.

Ichneumon
2009-06-16, 03:52 PM
I would say we've had enough character development in this arch to let Haley's dad, Elan's/Nale's dad come up in the next arc, as that would mean a lot more character development.

[TS] Shadow
2009-06-16, 04:14 PM
I think that they will proceed directly to the Gate without collecting 200xp from the island, especially since there probably isn't a level gap, given that Roy was the highest level warrior of good (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0485.html) on the field when he died. They might run into Haley's dad, because that would be a handy way of introducing that sub-plot.

Even if Roy was the highest level then, he only gained nominal experience in the afterlife and will lose a level when rezzed. He'll be behind.

Optimystik
2009-06-16, 04:24 PM
Shadow;6304212']Even if Roy was the highest level then, he only gained nominal experience in the afterlife and will lose a level when rezzed. He'll be behind.

If he was 15 and the rest of the Order 13, and then they are now 14, he'll be even with them. Durkon and V are 14 at the most now.

Even if he ends up behind them, the poor guy deserves some roleplay XP at least for trying to reason with V's "contractors." :smallsmile:

Bibliomancer
2009-06-16, 04:52 PM
Also, if nothing else he'll catch up fairly quickly. After all, he was leveling at the same rate as the others despite being a level or two higher, indicating that he was gaining bonus xp from restraining Belkar/leading the group/organizing the quest/taking all the hits. Who knows, maybe he even got all the xp from the mindflayer they defeated. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0032.html)

mistformsquirrl
2009-06-16, 04:57 PM
I'm thinking we might actually see the OOTS helping the Azurites clear their new home of monsters. After all, most of the high level Azurites are dead, so if anything dangerous has moved into those ruins, they'll likely need help.

Plus it could give us (the readers) a break from the tension and give Rich time to goof off with some pure funny if he feels like it.

Of course then again we could immediately head to Girard's gate too; but this is just my theory <@_@>

[TS] Shadow
2009-06-16, 04:59 PM
If he was 15 and the rest of the Order 13, and then they are now 14, he'll be even with them. Durkon and V are 14 at the most now.

Even if he ends up behind them, the poor guy deserves some roleplay XP at least for trying to reason with V's "contractors." :smallsmile:

Oh, he was? Well, that's what I get for not regularly checking the class levels thread. Though the team might just want a little bit more XP in general.

Bibliomancer
2009-06-16, 05:10 PM
They probably won't need to help the Azurites settle in. At least, that's V's opinion (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0643.html), which might not be taking Hinjo, Lien, or O'chul into account.

Kish
2009-06-16, 05:33 PM
*throws a vote on the "they'll head to Girard's Gate without much more delay" plate*

Red XIV
2009-06-16, 05:51 PM
We don't actually know that she ever died.

I mean, her eyes weren't X'ed from the dragon bite, and as I've said before, come on. A blind spellcaster is walking around on top of a several hundred foot wall with no railing, and she's not going to prepare Feather Fall?

ericgrau
2009-06-17, 09:44 PM
The gate, simple as that. That's what they've been planning all along, quite explicitly. Now whether or not the plot will head directly there or if they'll hit something else along the way is another story.

Girard's gate is on the Western Continent, elfland is on the Western Continent, the paladins can set up a city on their own. I'd say the OotS will be right on their way. Getting there and tying up any loose ends will probably be issues that lead to more events, not to mention copious cutaways to the central characters' countless cunning contenders.

Dagren
2009-06-17, 10:16 PM
We don't actually know that she ever died.

I mean, her eyes weren't X'ed from the dragon bite, and as I've said before, come on. A blind spellcaster is walking around on top of a several hundred foot wall with no railing, and she's not going to prepare Feather Fall?I thought she was a cleric? Anyway, you think she's still with the fleet somewhere then I take it?

Crazeemeel
2009-06-18, 01:11 AM

Especially after Bozzok mentioned like 100 or so strips back that he had something to do with Haley's dad being kidnapped. This sort of indicates that the issue will be addressed in the next major quest. And we all know that because of the Giant's clever way of having Roy learn that Girard's gate would be sought after by Xykon before the other one.
So yeh I agree with this.