PDA

View Full Version : D20 Modern vs 3.5

Babale
2009-06-15, 11:00 PM
Since the mechanics are the same, here's a question: How would d20 modern characters fare against D&D monsters? And vice versa? What about PvP action?

Sanguine
2009-06-15, 11:01 PM
I was under the impression that one of the d20 modern books added some DnD monsters.:smallconfused:

Narmoth
2009-06-16, 03:00 AM
Depends on lvl. Since 3.5 have the wealth by lvl-system, a mid-lvl character has magical weapons and protection, and might very well face monsters that are immune to normal dmg.
But low cr monsters should do okay.
The above mentioned "Menace Manual" have monsters for d20 modern.
They also come with a cr-rating, and I'd say they're a bit underpowered for their CR compared to 3.5 monsters. Put on 1 cr at low levels, 2 cr at mid-lvl and 3 cr at high-lvl, and you get about right cr for 3.5 monsters in d20

Babale
2009-06-16, 09:32 AM
So only up to CR 3?

I personally would have thought that, say, a dragon would be easily killed by repeated 4d12 automatic burst fire from heavy guns...

TheThan
2009-06-16, 10:36 AM
Automatic fire sucks. I’ve used it before, and let me explain why it’s so terrible.
It’s an AOE with DC 15 a reflex save to totally avoid the damage. So even if we take a look at a dragon, they all have a strong chance of making it. Sure eventually he’s going to fail. But most weapons only deal 2d6 damage. Even then, 2d12 isn’t that much since you get not real modifiers to your damage (unlike say a power attack). Then you have to take into account automatic weapons require full round actions. Any dragon worth his salt is going to roast the party with his breath weapon before he succumbs to the automatic fire.

Now the problem with the burst fire feat, is that you are taking a –4 penalty to your attack roll. Some how a skilled soldier is not proficient in the very weapons they use… annoying. Sure you deal +2 dice of damage, but what’s the point when you are taking the huge penalty to your attack?