http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#tableImprovedFamiliarbyAlignment
How do I determine this for > level 7?

I'm going for 23 btw.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-16, 03:19 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#tableImprovedFamiliarbyAlignment
How do I determine this for > level 7?

I'm going for 23 btw.

This http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Creatures.pdf has a good list of familiars collected from various published sources.

BobVosh
2009-06-16, 03:59 AM
Much closer now :D

Hmm, so a level 19 has a CR 12? Interesting.

Ryuuk
2009-06-16, 10:24 AM
You know, I've always wondered, do the improved familiars lose the litle bonus that regular familiars get?

BobVosh
2009-06-16, 11:19 AM
For the wizards int + NA increases? No.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-16, 04:51 PM
For the wizards int + NA increases? No.

Yes. Otherwise, what's the point of getting an Improved At Being Hit Familiar?

Emy
2009-06-16, 05:12 PM
Yes. Otherwise, what's the point of getting an Improved At Being Hit Familiar?

Now, this is somewhat ambiguous, and I'm not sure whether you're agreeing with him or not.

I interpret him as being correct, because I read his post as "For the wizards int + NA increases? No, they do not lose that."

But since I'm probably being equally unclear, I'm going to expand upon this.

Improved familiars otherwise use the rules for regular familiars, with two exceptions: If the creature’s type is something other than animal, its type does not change; and improved familiars do not gain the ability to speak with other creatures of their kind (although many of them already have the ability to communicate).

In addition to the above, you may notice that none of the Improved Familiar options give a special bonus (like the cat's +3 to move silently). This may have been the little bonus Ryuuk mentioned.

Other than the things specifically listed in the Improved Familiar feat, they are identical to normal familiars and follow all of the same rules, such as the special abilities and bonuses chart (increased int score, deliver touch spells, increased natural armor, spell resistance).

Also this thread title is misleading, as it has nothing to do with the Obtain Familiar feat.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-16, 05:24 PM
Now, this is somewhat ambiguous, and I'm not sure whether you're agreeing with him or not...............................

Brevity. Soul. Wit.

BobVosh
2009-06-16, 06:52 PM
Also this thread title is misleading, as it has nothing to do with the Obtain Familiar feat.

Er. Opps. I was looking at all the familiar stuff I would need my dragon to have. My bad.

Dagren
2009-06-16, 07:15 PM
If I may ask another question on a similar topic? How exactly does improved familiar work? It says you can get a better familiar, but what happens to your existing one? According to the rules, dismissing a familiar carries the same penalties as killing it, namely XP drain and having to wait a year for a new one. So, how does this work with improved familiar?

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-16, 08:14 PM
If I may ask another question on a similar topic? How exactly does improved familiar work? It says you can get a better familiar, but what happens to your existing one? According to the rules, dismissing a familiar carries the same penalties as killing it, namely XP drain and having to wait a year for a new one. So, how does this work with improved familiar?

Ask that same question of your GM. There is probably something on it in Complete Arcane.

I would rule that you get your new familiar when you choose to call for it. I think this is only fair.

The player and the GM just make up some fluff to make up for the change, eg:
- the spirit in the raven evolves pokemon style into a celestial raven
- the rat finally reveals itself to really be an...imp
- with a flash, the fire mephit appears, and burns poor Mr. Fluffy to death
- the weasel exchanges pleasant goodbyes with this gnomish master, thanking him for the wonderful experiences before he returns to the wild; then out of the earth appears roughly humanoid shape...

taltamir
2009-09-13, 02:37 PM

by the RAW, you should plan ahead and simply NOT take a familiar until you get the improved familiar, and the level at which you can take it. Or take the XP hit and wait a year and a day.
However, most DMs will probably houserule that away to allow you to swap familiars