PDA

View Full Version : Weathermay-Foxgroves

Tsotha-lanti
2009-06-16, 07:54 AM
This has been bugging me for ages...

In the 2002 Arthaus/Sword & Sorcery Ravenloft book, Van Richten's Arsenal Volume 1, we're introduced very thoroughly to the Weathermay-Foxgrove sisters, Gennifer and Laurie. They're monster-hunters, following in the footsteps of Van Richten, their disappeared family friend and honorary uncle, and George Weathermay, their actual uncle.

The two are twins, but Gennifer is "the smart one" and a novice wizard, and Laurie is "the tough one." They roam around Ravenloft hunting and studying monsters using their "uncle" Van Richten's notes and books, and search for him.

Gennifer, the smart one, has a horrible secret related to her blood that may make her a monster.

... so why the heck does this sound about 85% like the 2005 show Supernatural? The similarity has to be way past coincidence. Are both drawing on a shared source, or did the writers of Supernatural just really like the Weathermay-Foxgroves and decide to use them on their show (as guys)?

Adumbration
2009-06-16, 08:06 AM
Amusingly, I too thought of that even before I finished reading the post. :smalleek:

Person_Man
2009-06-16, 08:36 AM
It's just an amalgamation of common tropes. Ever notice how Twilight and Buffy the Vampire have pretty much the same plot (http://hijinksensue.com/2009/05/29/rebuffed/)? (But much, much different writing and acting). Honestly, with the exception of things that come about because of new technology, I doubt that there's anything truly original that anyone could write. With so many monkeys at so many typewriters for such a long period of time, I think we've pretty much written every possible story.