PDA

View Full Version : Races (G6+1, but interested in all opinions!)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-16, 11:34 AM
Alright. These are for my ongoing G6+1 project, but I'm interested in flavor (as carried by mechanics) and balance of the following races. The reason Large races gain more benefits than they lose is because more attacks target Dexterity than anything else. More will be added as time goes by. :smallbiggrin:

Also, don't expect the flavor to always fit what the standard D&D flavor. :smallbiggrin:

Hobgoblin

Size: Medium
Type: Humanoid (Goblinoid)
Speed: 7 squares (35 feet/10.5 meters), climb 5 squares (25 feet/7.5 meters)
Wound Points: 4
Senses: Hobgoblins have Lowlight Vision and Scent.

Racial Properties
Feral Quickness: Hobgoblins gain a +2 Racial bonus to Initiative checks.
Frightful Charge: If a Hobgoblin attacks a surprised opponent, that oponent is shaken for 1 round. This ability may not be final. Suggestions for a replacement are appreciated.
Loping Gait: If a Hobgoblin has an empty hand, his land speed increases by 1 square (5 feet/1.5 meters). If he has two empty hands, his land speed increases by 2 squares (10 feet/3 meters).
Simian Reach: During a Hobgoblin's turn, his reach increases to 2 squares (10 feet/3 meters).

Specialties: Hobgoblins gain a +2 Racial bonus to Perception and Stealth checks.

Kobold

Size: Small (+1 to Dexterity Defense, -1 to Strength and Constitution Defenses, -1 to Martial Melee Damage)
Type: Humanoid (Reptilian)
Speed: 6 squares (30 feet/9 meters)
Wound Points: 3
Senses: Kobolds have Darkvision.

Racial Properties
Mob Mentality: Kobolds gain a cumulative +1 Racial bonus to Defense versus Fear and Compulsion effects for each ally within 3 squares (15 feet/4.5 meters).
Natural Guerrilla: Kobolds gain a +1 Racial bonus on all Offense Values during surprise rounds.
Better Part of Valor: Whenever a Kobold is subject to a Critical Hit, he may shift his Base Land Speed as an immediate action.
Skitter: Kobolds may Shift 3 squares (15 feet/4.5 meters) as a Move Action rather than the usual 2 squares.

Specialties: Kobolds gain a +2 Racial bonus to Disable Device and Stealth checks.

Troll

Size: Large (-1 to Dexterity Defense, +1 to Strength and Constitution Defenses, +1 to Martial Melee Damage)
Type: Humanoid (Goblinoid)
Speed: 5 squares (25 feet/7.5 meters), climb 3 squares (15 feet/4.5 meters)
Wound Points: 6
Senses: Trolls have Lowlight Vision and Scent.

Racial Properties
Loping Gait: If a Troll has an empty hand, his land speed increases by 1 square (5 feet/1.5 meters). If he has two empty hands, his land speed increases by 2 squares (10 feet/3 meters).
Rapid Regeneration: Trolls heal at twice the natural rate.
Trollish Durability: Trolls gain Martial Resistance +1.
Simian Reach: During a Troll's turn, his reach increases to 2 squares (10 feet/3 meters).

Specialties: Trolls gain a +2 Racial bonus to Endurance and Perception checks.

Vadin
2009-06-16, 01:08 PM
The troll has some references to hobgoblins in it. Copypasta error?

In other news, Hobgoblins would make wildly excellent unarmed combatants.

Pronounceable
2009-06-16, 01:25 PM
Nice to see G7 is somewhat alive. I was thinking maybe you had abandoned ship. Alas, it seems I've forgotten much of what was going on.
You seem to have decided to make nonmedium player races it seems.

Why do both hobgobbos and trolls have Loping Gait and Simian Reach? Such clearly monkeylike traits can fit trolls well but hobs never seemed that long armed to me. You might've changed their militaristic flavor but into what is unclear. Trolls also look weak for trolls but becoming a standard race will probably do that to anything.

lesser_minion
2009-06-16, 01:55 PM
You seem to have made a few changes to the basic system, so I wouldn't be able to say too much about crunch.

I find the hobgoblin idea to be somewhat strange - I know you said they would be different, but they don't seem to match any hobgoblin I've seen in the past.

It's interesting, to say the least, however.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-16, 01:57 PM
You seem to have decided to make nonmedium player races it seems.

Well, somewhat. At this moment in time, Small, Medium, and Large all occupy a single 5ft space and have 5ft reach...the difference is in the Strength/Con/Dex defenses and Melee damage. I wanted a way to allow players to play things like Trolls without having to break all my carefully built molds.

Why do both hobgobbos and trolls have Loping Gait and Simian Reach? Such clearly monkeylike traits can fit trolls well but hobs never seemed that long armed to me. You might've changed their militaristic flavor but into what is unclear. Trolls also look weak for trolls but becoming a standard race will probably do that to anything.

Well, I'm refluffing Hobgoblins, Goblins, and Trolls. They're now all part of a similar race (Goblinoids), and thus will all have the Loping Gait trait. Hobgoblins and Trolls both have the Simian Reach, and Goblins share the Hobbo's Feral Quickness trait. It helps keep them in the same family while still giving them distinct qualities of their own. Descriptions will be forthcoming, which may help clarify things.

I just never liked the D&D Hobgoblin as a Hobgoblin. The Hobgoblins of legend were actually traditionally smaller than Goblins, and often weaker. I kept them more powerful, but I wanted to emphasize the fact that they are still Goblinoids, not militaristic semi-humanoids.