PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a particular animal

arkol
2009-06-16, 02:57 PM
Ok I'm looking for a mount for a gnome character, but I would like one I could use the "speak with animals" gnome ability. It's just for transportation so it doesn't have to be a combat monster but needs to have a nice speed. A price tag of the animal would be great too.

So to be sure we're all on the same page I'm looking for a:

- animal which is a mammal and has a burrowing speed
- base speed has high as possible
- size medium
- lowest cr/hd possible since it is for a (currently) low-level game and I'm not swimming in gold (yet)

The only thing that I found so far that fits the bill is a dire badger but it only moves 30, so that's only enough to keep pace with the remaining party members if they're on foot. Since we're going for someplace really far everyone is buying horses and I would like to keep up with them :smalltongue:

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-16, 02:59 PM
Buy the badger Boots of Striding and Springing.

arkol
2009-06-16, 03:02 PM
*sigh* guess that the list wasn't enough to avoid this kind of replys.

I don't want alternatives (especially alternatives that don't work). I want animals that fit those requirements. As simple as that.

Sorry to sound harsh, but really I though I had made myself clear?

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-16, 03:06 PM
*sigh* guess that the list wasn't enough to avoid this kind of replys.

I don't want alternatives (especially alternatives that don't work). I want animals that fit those requirements. As simple as that.

Sorry to sound harsh, but really I though I had made myself clear?

When in doubt, get the Dark template applied to it. A Dark War Beast Magebred Pony works just fine for a mount. Dark is in Tome of Magic, War Beast is in MM2, and Magebred is in Eberron Campaign Setting. Total price is about 700gp, dirt cheap for anyone above 1st level.

Rhiannon87
2009-06-16, 03:36 PM
When in doubt, get the Dark template applied to it. A Dark War Beast Magebred Pony works just fine for a mount. Dark is in Tome of Magic, War Beast is in MM2, and Magebred is in Eberron Campaign Setting. Total price is about 700gp, dirt cheap for anyone above 1st level.

OP also said he wanted his gnome to be able to use the speak with animals ability... last I check, ponies weren't burrowing creatures.

To the OP: I was going to suggest a dire wolverine, but their move is only 30 also. Are you limited to just core, or should I start digging through some other MM that I have?

EDIT: Okay, just checked Monsters of Faerun, and Monster Manuals I - V. The number of animals drops rather steadily in each book, and I didn't see anything that was burrowing or had a move speed of greater than 30 feet.

Do you know if your DM is going to be especially strict on movement speeds? I mean, if you're riding cross-country, it would probably be easier (for all involved, including the DM) to just look at your badger's daily movement speed (24 miles) and the movement speed of the other's mounts (28 or 32 miles), and just average it out. You push your badger a little harder than normal to keep up, and the others slow down a bit to accommodate your slower mount.

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-16, 03:43 PM
OP also said he wanted his gnome to be able to use the speak with animals ability... last I check, ponies weren't burrowing creatures.

To the OP: I was going to suggest a dire wolverine, but their move is only 30 also. Are you limited to just core, or should I start digging through some other MM that I have?

Ah, forgot that.

Emy
2009-06-16, 03:46 PM

Warbeast is really, really silly, because it provides a market price for ANY animal. A really trivial market price, too.

edit: Dark Magebred Warbeast Horrid Badger (10ft base burrow speed, Swift Breed from magebred increases that to 20', Dark increases it to 30', Warbeast increases it to 40', Quick trait could increase it to 50')

oh right, price tag... 400 gold.

Drop it from a Horrid Badger back down to Dire Badger if you want it to be easier to handle.

Ashworms are a a magical beast (and not a mammal)

Yeah, but they're cool.

hamishspence
2009-06-16, 03:50 PM
Ashworms are a a magical beast (and not a mammal)

ranagrande
2009-06-16, 04:28 PM
You could try to get an animal with the Mineral Warrior template from Forgotten Realms Underdark, since it adds a Burrow speed.

arkol
2009-06-17, 05:44 AM
Thanks guys. My DM read the thread and says that warbeasts and magebread badgers are avaiable. Probably gonna go with one of those.