PDA

View Full Version : Exams

Ricky S
2009-06-16, 02:58 PM
Arrgh damn exams. I am so sick of the pressure its too much! Oh did i mention I didnt study. I brought it on myself but still I feel like its not my fault. Bah! So much to always do. I have done most of the work for the semester but I havent studied, so hopefully I will still pass. If I dont then I will get kicked off college, etc. Anyone else out there a serious procrastinator as well? And does anyone have any advice against procrastination for the future?

Ichneumon
2009-06-16, 03:03 PM
I get my exam results Thursday. If I pass I can go to University in september. Biology here I come!

Ricky S
2009-06-16, 03:07 PM
Nice. Uni is pretty fun, too much fun in fact. That's why I am in this situation. So if or when you do get in, make sure you study everyday and only party on weekends. Good Luck!

Ichneumon
2009-06-16, 03:33 PM
Nice. Uni is pretty fun, too much fun in fact. That's why I am in this situation. So if or when you do get in, make sure you study everyday and only party on weekends. Good Luck!

Thanks, same to you. I hope you pass, getting kicked out is not fun.

Headless_Ninja
2009-06-16, 03:56 PM
Exams over on Thursday. Then the agonising wait until August 20th to see if I've got into uni...

Dallas-Dakota
2009-06-16, 04:01 PM
Yes to all, except the last.

I'm done with my exams. I'm getting my results tomorrow :eek:

And most likely re-exams and dropping a class so that I'l graduate, if possible.

Jibar
2009-06-16, 04:04 PM
I finish my exams Friday, after which I have a solid month of literally nothing to do.
In a month I will emerge from my house, unshaven, baggy eyed and only able to speak in movie/Buffy/video game quotes. I will take a step into the new day and burst into flame under the glaring heat of the sun.
I can't wait.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-16, 04:21 PM
I procrastinate heavily and usually manage to overcome adversity through sheer natural talent. Like a sorceror!

But if you aren't talented and you procrastinate, then you are just a lazy wizard.

So my procrastination advice to you is this:

1) Wait until the last minute to do work if you must, but at least half-ass it. Don't just not do the work. If you can 70%-ass your work, then you can pass!

2) Take easier classes if you are not feeling up to snuff.

3) Take a bullsh*t major.

4) Find professors who grade generously and take their classes.

Ricky S
2009-06-17, 03:19 AM
Haha I am generally more the lazy wizarding type. Although its not possible to take any other classes we are only a small uni.

Kobold-Bard
2009-06-17, 05:00 AM
...Oh did i mention I didnt study. I brought it on myself but still I feel like its not my fault. Bah!...

Congratulations, you just described the last part of every academic year I've done from the start of secondary school to my just finished second year at uni, and I've always scraped through until it finally caught up to me this year. Now I'm waiting on my fails to be made official before I start begging the head registrar for permission to redo the year.

And even though I know it's my own fault, I'm still managing to rationalise the blame onto a dozen other people, the most obscure being my secondadry school teachers for not preparing me for the increased workload (yes I'm well aware that this is crazy).

Dihan
2009-06-17, 05:08 AM
I work for my exams. Nothing ever sticks in my memory, though. I always just hope that I can go into the exam and I'll just subconsciously know it all well enough.

I have my last exam tomorrow and I need to learn an essay I wrote, I fear that I won't be able to subconsciously learn it. Any tips? Especially for quotes.

Usually I'd be a lot more prepared but I had an exam yesterday and I'm not good at remembering two lots of different work.

GrlumpTheElder
2009-06-17, 06:33 AM
Some Friends of mine have just done their Further Maths AS levels (in the UK) and found the paper really hard.

It turns out that they have just done the wrong exam, so get their predicted grades instead.

Ichneumon
2009-06-17, 06:43 AM
I have my last exam tomorrow and I need to learn an essay I wrote, I fear that I won't be able to subconsciously learn it. Any tips? Especially for quotes.

I'm not sure how long this essay of you is, if it is very long this might not work. But I always try to say the essay, line by line in my head, whenever I am alone. Not worrying about actually using the same lines, but more using the same points and doing it everytime in the same order. For example, for an essay I wrote a few weeks ago:

First the introduction in which I say that I'm not going to talk about poltics or vegetarianism, but that I'm planning on talking about the history of how we in our society look at animals and how it changed.

In the first part I talk about the how the Greeks thought about animals and go into detail on Pythagoras and Aristotle, leaders of the two great factions, when it concerns animals. Than I talk about Jewish/Christian tradition and then about .....

In the second part I talk about Jeremy Bentam and todays etc etc

In the third part I allude to the fact that these ideas might have this and this effect on our society and .....

When you do this, you have the structure and all the main points clearly in your head and you even have certain easy/good sentence structures remembered.

Dihan
2009-06-17, 08:14 AM
Thanks. I'll try that. I've just rewritten part a) of my essay using my notes and it took about two hours. The exam is 90 minutes and I have a second part to write as well, though that one is mainly common sense.

Coplantor
2009-06-17, 09:28 AM
I just lost a college exam becasue, acording to the teacher, it wasn't "pretty enough". Apparently, everything I said was right, I was one of the few to finish it on time (Heck, most of the class only did 75% of it), It was complete, concrete and methodic (She said it like that), but it was too cold, it wasn't fun to read. You aprove with an 86/100, I got 60/100. And she got the nerves to, not only say that "it isn't a bad grade, it's over 50!" but also draw a happy smiling face on my exam!

A group of students is actually gathering signs in order to have her fired, last year, she made a student fail her course because someone always have to fail, she cannot allow everyone to pass!

Needless to say, we hate her.

Ichneumon
2009-06-17, 10:07 AM
A group of students is actually gathering signs in order to have her fired, last year, she made a student fail her course because someone always have to fail, she cannot allow everyone to pass!

That's horrid!

Dallas-Dakota
2009-06-17, 10:16 AM
I just graduated!!!!!
I did highschool in three years.

SQUEEEE!
:biggrin:

toasty
2009-06-17, 10:23 AM
I just graduated!!!!!
I did highschool in three years.

SQUEEEE!
:biggrin:

*shakes fist* damn you!

I still have another year to go.

I've been done for... two weeks now?

Corlindale
2009-06-17, 10:27 AM

I find that the "Journey method (http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTIM_05.htm)" works extremely well for me, though sadly I haven't had much use for it myself as most of our exams are written papers.
When I first learned it about a year ago, I memorized the 150 largest countries of the world in order by size just to test it out:smallsmile: I also used it to good effect when taking my written Phonetics exam to remember the place and manner of articulation for all the consonant sounds. It may sound a bit silly, but it is astoundingly effective.

I tend to use houses I know well rather than coming up with routes, though. Then I can just make my route the order of rooms reached by mentally following the right wall upon entering the front door, visualizing whatever I need to remember as I go.

On-topic: I turned in my last paper I week ago, so my vacation has already started:smallbiggrin: I'm a bit worried about the result of my Literary Analysis paper, though - that subject has a history of being my Achilles' Heel.

Coplantor
2009-06-17, 11:14 AM
That's horrid!

What? Not allowing people to pass or having her fired?

Recaiden
2009-06-17, 11:25 AM

Not allowing people to pass. No one who does that should be allowed to run a class.

Flame of Anor
2009-06-17, 11:30 AM
I just lost a college exam becasue, acording to the teacher, it wasn't "pretty enough". Apparently, everything I said was right, I was one of the few to finish it on time (Heck, most of the class only did 75% of it), It was complete, concrete and methodic (She said it like that), but it was too cold, it wasn't fun to read. You aprove with an 86/100, I got 60/100. And she got the nerves to, not only say that "it isn't a bad grade, it's over 50!" but also draw a happy smiling face on my exam!

Oh, man, that's terrible! Allow me to express your rage in art:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm303/Lord_Chamberlains_Men/Nothing%20to%20see%20here/rage.jpg

Coplantor
2009-06-17, 11:31 AM
Not allowing people to pass. No one who does that should be allowed to run a class.

She's got this belief that, since we are in an exigent college, the way to keep it look exigent is to have a minimum number of people failijg their courses eah year.

The worst part? She doesnt even know about the things she is supposed to, she teaches linguistic in the first semester and comunicactions in the third, she's got a horrible grammar level and she makes awful spelling mistakes. On top of that, she's got this snobish attitude and she thinks that she is sooooo distinguished because she uses every once in a while english words. Can you believe that everytime she gets into the classroom she says: "Good morning childrens"??????

EDIT: @^ Hahaha! I'm copying that img if you dont mind.

Castaras
2009-06-17, 11:32 AM

Get parents (LOTS of them) to ring in and scream at the college about her. Always works.

Last exam on friday... wheeeeeee.

Alteran
2009-06-17, 11:57 AM
Last exam last Friday. :smallamused:

Good luck to everybody who still has exams to write! I certainly know the feeling that I haven't studied enough, but for me it only happened with two of the easier exams (I got lucky there).

Ichneumon
2009-06-17, 12:01 PM

Not allowing people to pass, of course....

Within 24 hours I will know if I passed, waiting time for the phone call.... scary.

Faulty
2009-06-17, 12:03 PM
My last exam was the 22nd.

Of April. :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, I'm a major procrastinator myself. That exam I had on the 22nd. It was worth 100% of my grade in the class, I went to the class once, and learned literally 95% of the curriculum by speed reading a friends notes in an hour and a half from 6:00 to 7:30 AM, the day of the exam, which started at 8:15 AM. I got a C in the class some how.

Not allowing people to pass, of course....

Within 24 hours I will know if I passed, waiting time for the phone call.... scary.

Good luck!

Flame of Anor
2009-06-17, 07:50 PM
Glad you like my rage, Coplantor. Feel free to use it how you want.

For those who don't know, the art form of the square four-panel MS Paint cartoon with that same last panel is a 4chan meme.

Ricky S
2009-06-17, 09:49 PM
Eurrgh. Another frigging test. 2 hours of Contract law. I think I will have to beg to stay, both at uni and at college. I will make up some reason relating to the fact that I was too distracted. Seriously having so many parties can be damaging for your health. My first test went ok I think. My second was awful, I barely knew anything and because it was an open book exam I literally learnt stuff for the test, WHILE SITTING IN IT!!!! This is my third test today in about 30 mins. omg so many little things to remember.

Good Luck for anyone who still has exams!

Dihan
2009-06-18, 05:18 AM
Ichneumon - Thank you for that advice! I remembered most of my essay thanks to it.

I managed to cut down what took two hours into 50 minutes. Now I am free! :smallbiggrin:

dish
2009-06-18, 05:24 AM
... My second was awful, I barely knew anything and because it was an open book exam I literally learnt stuff for the test, WHILE SITTING IN IT!!!! This is my third test today in about 30 mins. omg so many little things to remember.

Good Luck for anyone who still has exams!

Wow, exams actually have educational merit. Thanks for that little bit of proof.

Keep going; you're nearly there.

Ichneumon
2009-06-18, 05:30 AM
Ichneumon - Thank you for that advice! I remembered most of my essay thanks to it.

I managed to cut down what took two hours into 50 minutes. Now I am free! :smallbiggrin:

You're welcome! Happy to hear it worked.

Headless_Ninja
2009-06-18, 05:37 AM
Exams are over. Exams. Are. Over.

What do people do when they're not revising? I've forgotten...

Ichneumon
2009-06-18, 08:04 AM
Yes BABY I PASSES WITH A 7 FOR LATIN!

Coplantor
2009-06-18, 08:11 AM

Yeah! Congratulations!

I assume 7 is good.

Ichneumon
2009-06-18, 08:12 AM
Yeah! Congratulations!

I assume 7 is good.

Yes, it is! Very.:smallbiggrin: And thank you!

Dallas-Dakota
2009-06-18, 08:14 AM
Grats Ichy!

Also, this confirms the vague notion in my mind that you're dutch, since I remember you're not a belgian.

Ichneumon
2009-06-18, 08:15 AM
Grats Ichy!

Also, this confirms the vague notion in my mind that you're dutch, since I remember you're not a belgian.

I am Dutch. Just finished my Gymnasium 6 "Natuur & Techniek" with "Natuur & Gezondheid" + extra English + Greek & Latin. EDIT: Thanks!

Dallas-Dakota
2009-06-18, 08:21 AM
Greek AND Latin?:smalleek:
Got the Gymnasium part from the 7 on Latin.:smallwink:

Also, weren't the results for HAVO and VWO coming in today, this evening?:smallconfused:

And you might want to check the dutch meetup thread, there were vague thoughts of doing another meet-up this summer, and it would be great if you could get the idea of meeting us in real life in your head. Though if you don't want to, thats OK, I suppose.

Ichneumon
2009-06-18, 08:23 AM
Also, weren't the results for HAVO and VWO coming in today, this evening?:smallconfused:

No, we are being called by our "mentoren" between 2 and 5, just got the phone call.

Coplantor
2009-06-18, 08:24 AM
Oh no! More dutch people! How can you live with your complicated educational systems!?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-06-18, 08:26 AM
Ah, nice. My brother is getting called somewhere this evening by one of three people after '6 today.

Flame of Anor
2009-06-18, 08:28 AM
Oh no! More dutch people! How can you live with your complicated educational systems!?

Well, at least it could hardly be worse than our public school system. I'm so thankful I never attended it.

Ichneumon
2009-06-18, 08:35 AM
Ah, nice. My brother is getting called somewhere this evening by one of three people after '6 today.

Aw, that's too bad that he has to wait so long.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-06-18, 09:10 AM
Seriously though, I'm a major procrastinator myself. That exam I had on the 22nd. It was worth 100% of my grade in the class, I went to the class once, and learned literally 95% of the curriculum by speed reading a friends notes in an hour and a half from 6:00 to 7:30 AM, the day of the exam, which started at 8:15 AM. I got a C in the class some how.

See, this is what I'm talkin' about. Hardcore procrastination sorcery!

I once took "Honors Great Books seminar II", which was a book discussion course covering literature in the 19th and early 20th centuries. In one incident, we had a three hour class in which we compared "Ethan Frome" to "The Thousand Cranes". I had sparknoted Ethan Frome, and read the first chapter of thousand cranes. I made it through that discussion, and passed the class with an A despite basically reading none of books.

I am Dutch. Just finished my Gymnasium 6 "Natuur & Techniek" with "Natuur & Gezondheid" + extra English + Greek & Latin. EDIT: Thanks!

Hey, I think "gezondheid" is what we say in the States to someone when they sneeze? What does it mean, "good health"?

Also, what the hell is the dutch educational system's structure? Is gymnasium 6 like the sixth year of school or...what?

Say what you will about the U.S. educational system, but at least its really simple. You get 12 years of general education, called, unsurprisingly, grades 1 through 12. Then you go to college. Then you either get a job or go to graduate school (i.e. for college graduates).

Ichneumon
2009-06-18, 09:15 AM
Hey, I think "gezondheid" is what we say in the States to someone when they sneeze? What does it mean, "good health"?

Also, what the hell is the dutch educational system's structure? Is gymnasium 6 like the sixth year of school or...what?

"Gezondheid" means health and people also say it as an expression when they wish someone good health, for example when someone sneezes.

You have 8 years of primary school and after that (when people are usually around 13 or so) they go to high school which has many different levels. The highest level is called VWO and when you do VWO with either Greek or Latin or both it is called Gymnasium. VWO lasts 6 years, other levels last fewer. After VWO you can go to university.

VWO has many specialities, some focussed on sciences and others more on econimics. The specialities focussed on the sciences are Natuur & Techniek and Natuur & Gezondheid, which you can, if you pick your classes carefully take both at the same time, like I did.

Coplantor
2009-06-18, 09:31 AM
Here we have two years of preschool from 4 to 5 years old, lots of drawing basic reading, etc.
Then you get to go to school, 6 years, from 6 to 11.
After that, highschool, the first four years are called basic cycle, the last two years are the bachillerato, where you have to make a choice of study orientation, you can choose human sciences (there you have history, sociology, phillospohy, literature and basic math).
Biology sciences (with, biology, physics, chemestry, etc...)
Sciences (TONS of math, physics, chemestry etc..)
And the newly formed Artistic orientation

On those two years, you have to make another choice, if you picked human sciences, you'll have to choose between economics or laws for your last year of highschool.
Biology is divided in agronomy and medicine.
Sciences allow you to choose between engineery and architecture.
Artistic has no subdivision.

Depending on your choices during your last years of higschool, you get access to the different career options there are in college.

Samuraiko
2009-06-18, 09:43 AM
Grats to everyone who passed their exams, my sympathies to those who didn't.

And after completing all the way through high school, college (two BAs), and graduate school (MA), this comes from someone who has exams down to an art form.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko

Flame of Anor
2009-06-18, 10:14 AM
"Gezondheid" means health and people also say it as an expression when they wish someone good health, for example when someone sneezes.

Right, but we spell it "gesundheit", which I take to be the German word.

Ichneumon
2009-06-18, 10:21 AM
Right, but we spell it "gesundheit", which I take to be the German word.

Yes, it is the German word. Gezondheid is Dutch, which looks a lot like German.

Castaras
2009-06-18, 10:59 AM
School in Britain is easy. :smallbiggrin:

At 4-11 you go to Primary school. You get your SATs there. At 11-16 you go to Secondary School. You get your GCSEs at the end of that. That's the end of compulsury education. At 16-18 you go to 6th form. You get A levels. Then you go to University for your Degree.

Simple!

Ichneumon
2009-06-18, 11:31 AM
School in Britain is easy. :smallbiggrin:

At 4-11 you go to Primary school. You get your SATs there. At 11-16 you go to Secondary School. You get your GCSEs at the end of that. That's the end of compulsury education. At 16-18 you go to 6th form. You get A levels. Then you go to University for your Degree.

Simple!

HOw do you survive with such a simple *primitive* system?:smallwink:

Faulty
2009-06-18, 11:43 AM

Is it IB?

Rage. Letter limits.

Kwarkpudding
2009-06-18, 12:04 PM

Waiiit a minute.

Where did you take Gymnasium? (How do you say that in English?) Because, that sounds really familiar. Of course, there are enough schools in the Netherlands that fit, I'd still like to know if there was someone who went to the same school as me. :smallwink:

Also, congratulations. :smallsmile:

Anyway, I just got back from my CPE exams. Writing is horrible.

Ichneumon
2009-06-18, 12:08 PM
Is it IB?

Rage. Letter limits.

Ehm, no. I did take English in IB, but the results come in august or something so I will have to wait for that.

Waiiit a minute.

Where did you take Gymnasium? (How do you say that in English?) Because, that sounds really familiar. Of course, there are enough schools in the Netherlands that fit, I'd still like to know if there was someone who went to the same school as me. :smallwink:

Also, congratulations. :smallsmile:

Anyway, I just got back from my CPE exams. Writing is horrible.

Thanks and I attended a school in The Hague, ....

EDIT: you know what, I don't like telling this much about me "on the internet" by saying which school I went to, I'll pm you if the school you mean happens to be in The Hague/Den Haag too.

Kwarkpudding
2009-06-18, 12:15 PM
Ehm, no. I did take English in IB, but the results come in august or something so I will have to wait for that.

EDIT: you know what, I don't like telling this much about me "on the internet" by saying which school I went to, I'll pm you if the school you mean happens to be in The Hague/Den Haag too.

I can understand that. I'm still attending a school in Breda, so no pm's required.

Ichneumon
2009-06-18, 12:51 PM
I can understand that. I'm still attending a school in Breda, so no pm's required.

I see. I'm going to study at Leiden Univeristy btw.

Recaiden
2009-06-18, 01:48 PM

How is the scoring system set up then? Is a seven really good, just passing, or somewhere in between?
I think IB results come out early-July, at least here.
* hopes all the studying for econ was enough *

Dallas-Dakota
2009-06-18, 01:51 PM
I see. I'm going to study at Leiden Univeristy btw.
Ooh, nice. I know somebody who studies there. And my brother is maybe going there too.(His second choice.)

Kwark : PM'ed some time ago. I'l be responding tomorrow, because I'l have times then.