PDA

View Full Version : Need a low LA undead

Raltar
2009-06-16, 03:33 PM
I need to make an undead wizard cohort for my dread necromancer so I can have some nifty spells that a dread necromancer doesn't have access to(teleport, I'm looking at you). I originally wanted it to be a vampire, but...+8 LA doesn't make for a very good wizard. It needs to be sentient and not too gross looking, as my dread necromancer is...involved with her. Thanks!

AmberVael
2009-06-16, 03:34 PM
Necropolitan from Libris Mortis. No LA. You lose a little experience, but it is better than even +1 LA.

Though if you're looking for ways to get more spells available, I also recommend checking out Runestaves from the Magic Item Compendium.

quick_comment
2009-06-16, 03:35 PM
Necropolitan from Libris Mortis. No LA. You lose a little experience, but it is better than even +1 LA.

Dont you lose a whole level, thus making it completely equivalent to a bought off +1 LA?

Worira
2009-06-16, 03:36 PM
Actually, thanks to the way leadership works, Necropolitan doesn't really decrease their level at all.

Raltar
2009-06-16, 03:36 PM
I'm going to have to look this up when I get home from work. Thank you very much.

AmberVael
2009-06-16, 03:38 PM
Dont you lose a whole level, thus making it completely equivalent to a bought off +1 LA?

Yes, technically you do... but you don't actually gain an LA, meaning you really only lose 1000 xp or so. That's a lot better than having an LA, because as you get higher in level, 1000 xp less than others is way better than +1 LA.

Emy
2009-06-16, 03:40 PM
Gravetouched Ghouls might be a little gross, but they're only +2 LA, and they have good ability modifiers and special abilities.

You probably want necropolitan in this case, though.

quick_comment
2009-06-16, 03:41 PM
If you dont mind shenanigans, you can take a warforged, apply incarnate construct, then make it necropolitan for an undead cohort with -2 LA.

Emy
2009-06-16, 04:01 PM
If you dont mind shenanigans, you can take a warforged, apply incarnate construct, then make it necropolitan for an undead cohort with -2 LA.

If only it were so easy.

Level Adjustment: -2 (minimum 0)

There's also the cost of the spell itself to consider.

woodenbandman
2009-06-16, 04:02 PM
Go necropolitan, and with the LA you saved, you can make them spellstitched (Animate Dread Warriror). :D

quick_comment
2009-06-16, 04:04 PM
If only it were so easy.

There's also the cost of the spell itself to consider.

So stick any +2 template you want on there.

Nohwl
2009-06-16, 04:08 PM
could you use an awakened skeleton as your cohort

quick_comment
2009-06-16, 04:16 PM

He wants to have sex with it.

wadledo
2009-06-16, 04:22 PM

AH!
Why did you point that out? I only have so much mind-bleach.:smalleek:

Raltar
2009-06-16, 04:25 PM
It's not really that. She would be his wife turned undead and he seeks to become undead so they can live together for eternity, so he turned to dread necromancing. Just because she's undead doesn't mean they wouldn't, but it would be kinda difficult to have marital relations with a skeleton. I mean, that's what married people do, after all.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-16, 04:27 PM
AH!
Why did you point that out? I only have so much mind-bleach.:smalleek:Because I wasn't here yet and someone had to.

Keep in mind that not only is disguise a class skill for Dread Necros, they get such large numbers of undead controlled that there is no reason they shouldn't use 1HD Zombies for a bit of extra income.

Emy
2009-06-16, 04:30 PM
So stick any +2 template you want on there.

The problem being that Incarnate Construct takes away almost all of the construct's abilities. So we want ability boosts...

Warforged Lolth-touched Mineral Warrior Incarnate Construct Necropolitan. (LA +0)

edit:

It's not really that. She would be his wife turned undead and he seeks to become undead so they can live together for eternity, so he turned to dread necromancing. Just because she's undead doesn't mean they wouldn't, but it would be kinda difficult to have marital relations with a skeleton. I mean, that's what married people do, after all.

Look up Evening Glory (the goddess) in Libris Mortis (the Book of Bad Latin). Unless you already have.

Also congrats, you now qualify for Lichloved. :smalleek:

Oblivious
2009-06-16, 04:34 PM

OP mentioned that he wants a casting cohort. An awakened skeleton has Wisdom 10, Charisma 1, and Intelligence 4 + 1D6 (or maybe 6 + 1D4...), which prohibits casting.

Emy
2009-06-16, 04:41 PM
OP mentioned that he wants a casting cohort. An awakened skeleton has Wisdom 10, Charisma 1, and Intelligence 4 + 1D6 (or maybe 6 + 1D4...), which prohibits casting.

They also don't have a listed level adjustment, which prevents them from being cohorts.

Libris Mortis does give a level equivalent for zombies and skeletons as followers, though.

SilverClawShift
2009-06-16, 04:42 PM
Look up Evening Glory

My favorite deity!

Nohwl
2009-06-16, 05:20 PM
They also don't have a listed level adjustment, which prevents them from being cohorts.

Libris Mortis does give a level equivalent for zombies and skeletons as followers, though.

it said on the template that they had none for a level adjustment. is that different from level adjustment plus 0?

Emy
2009-06-16, 05:36 PM
it said on the template that they had none for a level adjustment. is that different from level adjustment plus 0?

"Level Adjustment: —" means that a race is not suitable for player characters, and as such, doesn't have an effective character level (ECL) to use for Cohort level calculations.

"Level Adjustment: +0" means that a race's ECL is equal to its hit dice.

Hope this clarifies things.

Nohwl
2009-06-16, 07:47 PM
the level adjustment of the skeleton template is none, not - or plus 0.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/skeleton.htm

the zombie template has a level adjustment of -, so i can see that it is unplayable, but it is different from the skeletons la.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/zombie.htm

or do you mean if it is a - on the table it is unplayable?

Emy
2009-06-16, 08:05 PM
I believe a template with "Level Adjustment: None" works the same as a template with "Level Adjustment:—" or a template with no "Level Adjustment" entry at all*. Templates are intended for player characters or cohorts always have a number listed, even when that number is 0. (Like Necropolitan or Amphibious Creature.)

*Dragonborn is sort of an exception here, as it is a template that's presented as a race; as player races are usually presented in their own "races" sections (which include only a small fraction of the actual playable races in D&D), LA is usually not listed unless it's nonzero.

I hope you're not as confused as I just made myself.

Chronos
2009-06-16, 08:41 PM
Though if you're looking for ways to get more spells available, I also recommend checking out Runestaves from the Magic Item Compendium.Unless you have UMD, you can only use those for spells that are on your list anyway. Which makes them awesome for Beguilers and pretty good for Sorcerers, but completely useless for Warmages and Dread Necromancers.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-16, 08:47 PM
Unless you have UMD, you can only use those for spells that are on your list anyway. Which makes them awesome for Beguilers and pretty good for Sorcerers, but completely useless for Warmages and Dread Necromancers.Awesome for Sorcerers, too. Dread Necromancers it depends on the build. Some can afford cross-classs UMD, many can't.

Thurbane
2009-06-16, 09:08 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar5BKXg60ME

:smalltongue:

AmberVael
2009-06-16, 09:15 PM
Unless you have UMD, you can only use those for spells that are on your list anyway. Which makes them awesome for Beguilers and pretty good for Sorcerers, but completely useless for Warmages and Dread Necromancers.

I always forget that clause. Oh well.

Thurbane
2009-06-16, 09:21 PM
I need to make an undead wizard cohort for my dread necromancer so I can have some nifty spells that a dread necromancer doesn't have access to(teleport, I'm looking at you).
BTW - Belt of the Wide Earth (MIC) allows any caster to swap out a 5th level spell or slot for Teleport 3/day. The Beguiler in my party is trying to get one at the moment. :smallwink:

tribble
2009-06-16, 09:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar5BKXg60ME

:smalltongue:

possibly the single strangest music video I have ever seen, partly because it isn't over-the-top psychedelic.