PDA

View Full Version : Casting while Concentrating

Darwin
2009-06-16, 04:03 PM
So every now and then a thread posts up discussing the use of the Extraordinary Concentration feat (CAdv 109), and the Swift Concentration skilltrick (CS 90). The general use of these are to maintain concentration on a spell while casting another, however the SRD states that "You can’t cast a spell while concentrating on another one." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#duration)

So according to RAW it's not possible, but people don't give a damn? (Not even on the WotC OP boards, whose members live by the RAW as far as I'm informed).

Am I missing something here? :smallconfused:

Flickerdart
2009-06-16, 04:05 PM
Specific trumps general. The SRD rule is general (you can't do that) and the combo is specific (yes you can do that). It's like the rule that you faint at negative HP, and the feat Diehard that says you don't.

Darwin
2009-06-16, 04:08 PM
Specific trumps general. The SRD rule is general (you can't do that) and the combo is specific (yes you can do that). It's like the rule that you faint at negative HP, and the feat Diehard that says you don't.

Neither the feat nor the skilltrick states that you can use it to cast a spell while maintaning control on another. Merely that it now takes another type of action. :smallamused:

Emy
2009-06-16, 04:34 PM
Neither the feat nor the skilltrick states that you can use it to cast a spell while maintaning control on another. Merely that it now takes another type of action. :smallamused:

Yeah, I dunno. I just use Sonorous Hum.

lsfreak
2009-06-16, 04:38 PM
Well, it's not in the rules section, however the description of Extraordinary Concentration says "Your mind is so focused that you can cast spells even while concentrating on another spell." It is clearly RAI, if not RAW.

Stormthorn
2009-06-16, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I dunno. I just use Sonorous Hum.

Whats that? Does it let you cast a spell while concentrating on another?

Korivan
2009-06-16, 05:02 PM
what books are those from?
Extraordinary Concentration feat
and Swift Concentration skilltrick
not sure what books CAdv and CS are

lsfreak
2009-06-16, 05:04 PM
Complete Adventurer and Complete Scoundrel.

Jc1991
2009-06-16, 06:55 PM
Do note that the description of Swift Concentration on p. 17 of CS reads "Concentrate on an ongoing spell while firing off another." While this isn't actually rules text per se, combined with the descriptive text of Extraordinary Concentration on p. 109 of CAdv (noted above by lsfreak) the intended effect is obviously to override p. 176 of the PHB.

What's that? Does it let you cast a spell while concentrating on another?

Sonorous Hum was originally printed in Savage Species, although I think it's been reprinted elsewhere. It does exactly what it says on the tin: makes a humming noise and concentrates on a spell for you.