PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Vestige questions

Blackfang108
2009-06-16, 04:10 PM
I'm currently putting together a Binder 6/Knight of the Sacred Seal 5/Incarnum Blade 5. This is for a Cohort that my DM has put me in charge of.

My Patron is Paimon, and I'm trying to decide on a second Vestige, as I gain the ability to bind another due to my increased Binder Level.

i'm having Difficulty deciding between the following:

Acererak
Buer
Otiax
Tenebrous

Of these 4, which of these has the best synergy with Paimon?

I'm leaning towards Buer, but I'm not really sure why.

Thanks in advance. My Char is DEX based, Elf, and uses a Rapier.

EDITs:
I'm keeping the classes mentioned, and I'm most likely keeping Rapier for the nice little 15-20 Threat range.

Stats: 10/20(24)/12/12/8/14

EDIT: Other non-Dragon, non-Homebrew vestiges are open, up to level 5.

woodenbandman
2009-06-16, 04:12 PM
You should not take incarnum blade. I can't possibly imagine why you would take that class. It's not even charisma synergistic.

Tenebrous is wicked awesome, because of his Flicker ability to make a teleport every round as an immediate action. Combine with Chupoclops (which you get by replacing your incarnum blade levels) and shock trooper and always have a charge, every round.

Otiax is nice for the extra AoOs with Wind Blast, but a reach weapon is better.

Blackfang108
2009-06-16, 04:18 PM
You should not take incarnum blade. I can't possibly imagine why you would take that class. It's not even charisma synergistic.

Tenebrous is wicked awesome, because of his Flicker ability to make a teleport every round as an immediate action. Combine with Chupoclops (which you get by replacing your incarnum blade levels) and shock trooper and always have a charge, every round.

Otiax is nice for the extra AoOs with Wind Blast, but a reach weapon is better.

I'm keeping Incarnum Blade. I'll take the rest into consideration, though.

I'm just kinda preferring Rapier because of the granted Weapon Finesse. My Str Mod is +0, while my Dex Mod (Including Paimon's adjustment) is +7.

wadledo
2009-06-16, 04:20 PM
I'm keeping Incarnum Blade. I'll take the rest into consideration, though.

Why?
I'm all for MoI, but Incarnum Blade is like the soulborn of PrC's.:smallconfused:

Blackfang108
2009-06-16, 04:24 PM
Why?
I'm all for MoI, but Incarnum Blade is like the soulborn of PrC's.:smallconfused:

I like it, and I've wanted to see it in action for a while. This is a Cohort of a temp Char (My DM wants me to control her.) I figure this is a good time to try something different. Besides, at ECL 16 in an ECL 22 campaign, 32 extra HP can't hurt. (and Blind-Fight. Invisibility is te reason I HAVE a temp Char.)

Chronos
2009-06-16, 09:04 PM
Remember, you can change your vestiges every day. You'll want to keep your KotSS patron, of course, but for the rest, try to figure out what you'll be up against. If you expect things that use cold or lightning, Acercerak is good for the immunities. If you expect to fight a basilisk or a spellcaster who loves Baleful Polymorph, pick Haagenti. Buer is always useful for healing, but doesn't really give you much of anything else.

And while Incarnum Blade does give you a few things, everything you get from it you could also get from plain old Fighter. There's no reason to have a PrC for that.

alchemyprime
2009-06-16, 10:13 PM
Okay, I saw a few things.

Okay, he gives you the build. Only tweak what he asks about. Don't say "Oh, you don't want THAT PrC," because trust me, as a guy who still prefers bard over that one class from Dungeonscape (who's name escapes me), he wants what he wants.
I like the Incarnum Blade. Not so much mechanically, but I think fluffwise its cool beans.
???
Profit!

Okay, seriously, I think you schould always mix it up and change it, but default to either Tenebrous or Buer so you can give the cleric a hand with the healing and the going after the undead.

I'd say stick with Paimon, but I already know you will. :smallbiggrin: Paimon and Malphas are my favorite official vestiges.

My personal favorites... my homebrewed TMBG vestiges and Megatron...

wadledo
2009-06-16, 10:29 PM
Hey, he never said cohort, which means we can go to town without feeling bad about weakening the character in regards to the PC's, since it doesn't particularly matter.

Blackjackg
2009-06-16, 10:33 PM
I'm kind of curious why you chose those four specifically. I'd say Otiax synergizes best with Paimon,unless your team is short on healers; then you definitely want Buer. But whenever possible, mix it up. Pick the one best suited for the tasks you're likely to encounter that day.

Blackfang108
2009-06-17, 08:46 AM
that one class from Dungeonscape (who's name escapes me)

Factotum is the class you're thinking of. (I'm going to play one one of these days, but I need to reread it a few times first.

I'm kind of curious why you chose those four specifically. I'd say Otiax synergizes best with Paimon,unless your team is short on healers; then you definitely want Buer. But whenever possible, mix it up. Pick the one best suited for the tasks you're likely to encounter that day.

Well,
Bure - Healing
Acererak - Mostly to frighten the bejeebus out of a friend of mine who's been through the ToH a few times. That and the Immunities/Neg En healing(while retaining PosEn healing.)
Otiak - Dunno, just looked interesting
Tenebrous - In my 4e Campaign(same DM), I'm attempting to eradicate Orcus from the multiverse. I figure it'll be worth it to use him once.

And Waledo's right, I never did...

(Oops. Adding it to the first post.)

EDIT: I feel it bears mention that my Temp Char(The leader of the cohort) is a Soulknife13/Illumine Soul5/Tempest4(He's been used and is locked at his current set-up).