PDA

View Full Version : Good Roleplaying Magazines?

mikeejimbo
2009-06-16, 07:42 PM
What are the Playground's favorite Roleplaying Magazines, especially those focusing on D&D? I've been searching for some myself, but I'm never sure about the quality, so I thought getting advice from a wide audience might be a good idea.

I'm particularly interested in third-party works, but if one of your favorites is a proprietary asset I might look into it - though I already know about some of them, such as the articles available through D&DI for D&D 4e.

Eldrys
2009-06-16, 07:43 PM
Dungeon and Dragon are both magazines made by WotC specifically for D&D.

DeathQuaker
2009-06-16, 09:11 PM
Dungeon and Dragon are both magazines made by WotC specifically for D&D.

Those aren't published anymore (though you can order back issues).

They were replaced by WoTC by D&DI, and Paizo (the publisher of those old magazines) now publishes something called Kobold Quarterly instead.

Matthew
2009-06-16, 09:12 PM
I read Knights of the Dinner Table nowadays, though Fight On! and Knockspell are good choices for the older edition crowd. I hear that Kobold Quarterly is good, and Goodman Games have started a magazine, I believe. I often download Mongoose Games' periodical.

Crow
2009-06-16, 09:13 PM
Kobold Quarterly is pretty good. :smallsmile:

kjones
2009-06-16, 11:39 PM
I read Knights of the Dinner Table nowadays, though Fight On! and Knockspell are good choices for the older edition crowd. I hear that Kobold Quarterly is good, and Goodman Games have started a magazine, I believe. I often download Mongoose Games' periodical.

Ah, glad to see that good ol' KoDT is still around. I've been reading since #52, but my subscription lapsed last year and money's been tight since then.

Anyways, if it's anything like it used to be, I can't recommend it highly enough.

elliott20
2009-06-17, 12:06 AM
this e-zine is not really D&D specific nor does it focus too much on system itself, places to go, people to be (http://ptgptb.org/) provides some interesting insights into our favorite geek hobby.

mikeejimbo
2009-06-17, 10:52 AM
All right, these are excellent answers. Thanks for your help everyone.

Matthew
2009-06-18, 05:16 AM
Ah, glad to see that good ol' KoDT is still around. I've been reading since #52, but my subscription lapsed last year and money's been tight since then.

Anyways, if it's anything like it used to be, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Yeah, it is still a good read. Not everything is useful or interesting to me, but at the very least I always enjoy the comic section. Usually, though, the articles are quite interesting and diverse. Kobold Quarterly or Level Up (http://www.goodman-games.com/9101preview.html) are probably better choices for pure role playing, but are fairly heavily dominated by D20/4e from what I understand.