PDA

View Full Version : Starcraft RPG (D20 3.5 modern)

playerslayer
2009-06-16, 10:05 PM
Hey every one. I have been using three years in making this campiagn setting, and customization of rules. I upload this beacuse i cannot come in contact with blizzard in order to sell it, so.... here it is for the taking. If you have any suggestions in what i can improve I would love to hear from you. Also im just glad it would be put to use. Untill now i've only had positive feedback, but i would love to have some negative asweel (as it may improve my book).

Download link:
Dead link

hope you enjoy :)

Edit: I have followed some of the advices, and added a customization of vehicles to the system.

Edit: I have now added alot of new features and balancing issues, and converted the level up system to gurps edition.

Download link:
Dead link

Edit: I have made it alot less complicated and divided the whole thing into 6 difrent books.

Download link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/255410755/SC_RPG_completed_work.rar.html

playerslayer
2009-06-16, 10:13 PM
PS how can i upload my work to your page? (yes im a computer noob :S).

elliott20
2009-06-16, 11:30 PM
umm.... get a copy writer.

Your document is missing a proper introduction, proper fluff text, and you jump straight into system stuff without proper paragraphing to improve readability. I mean, if this was just a forum post it's one thing. But the fact that you intend for this to be a finished product (and one that you want to sell, no less), means you need to aim for a much higher presentation quality.

that aside, I can tell you put in a lot of effort into this project. And you seem to have some interesting ideas regarding interpreting the existing classes. (I like the technician base class)

Having said that, I still need to go through in greater detail to give you any mechanical criticism.

another thing: chances are, blizzard is not going to want to buy this off of you even if you manage to create a decent product. The reason why is because they already own the rights to Starcraft. It's one thing to make a sourcebook for your own usage and distribution. (i.e. having given out for free) It's entirely another if you actually want to make a profit off of it.

imp_fireball
2009-06-17, 12:29 AM

Your document is missing a proper introduction, proper fluff text, and you jump straight into system stuff without proper paragraphing to improve readability. I mean, if this was just a forum post it's one thing. But the fact that you intend for this to be a finished product (and one that you want to sell, no less), means you need to aim for a much higher presentation quality.

that aside, I can tell you put in a lot of effort into this project. And you seem to have some interesting ideas regarding interpreting the existing classes. (I like the technician base class)

Having said that, I still need to go through in greater detail to give you any mechanical criticism.

another thing: chances are, blizzard is not going to want to buy this off of you even if you manage to create a decent product. The reason why is because they already own the rights to Starcraft. It's one thing to make a sourcebook for your own usage and distribution. (i.e. having given out for free) It's entirely another if you actually want to make a profit off of it.

That's why he's contacting blizzard. He's allowed to make it ahead of time, as long as he doesn't sell it up until then. Legal stuff can get dodgy about that. But it's just my guess.

The worst case scenario is that they sue you for 'intent' even though your intent was to have their approval in the first place.

Also: Does this use D&D rules (instead of modern)? If so, you have my full support man! I'm just tired of hearing about D20: Modern all the time for those sorts of settings.

Anyway, clean it up a bit (include an intro, fluff, possible images once you get in touch with blizz, etc.) and you could be in luck.

Otherwise, just tag it with OGL. You'll need to make it free then, but I'm sure people will appreciate it. :smallwink:
-------

UPDATE: So yah, turns out I've skimmed through this before.

Here's a few notes on fluff:

- Any sort of templar would better be suited to a PRC. Especially considering the lore states what they were previously.

- 'Firebat' would be better suited to something called a 'sprayer', or a variant of the existing 'soldier/marine/whatever' class. If you could make a modern fighter, that would be convenient too. Firebats are really just soldiers with different equipment and proficiencies - in fact, both marines and firebats have stims in the game. Also, with the 'sprayer' you could include other weapons similar in function to a flamethrower, like ie., a freezegun similar to what DC comic's batman villain Mr. Freeze uses (I actually invented a unit called the hydronaught that used liquid hydrogen and froze opponents, yadda yadda).

- More focus on technology 'customization'. Essentially ways to encourage a GM to create their own fluffy technology that would suit the setting. Warhammer 40k D20 actually did a thing for robots, listing all the different types of robots and combinations such as movement modes (hover, fly, walk, etc.), limbs (like maximum of 8 to medium, 12 to large, etc.), limb utilities (graspers, guns, tools, etc.), sizes, functions and even software (although they were sort of confined to the slow, feeble, servitor sort with the stuff that was given).

One thing I actually did for one of my (still recruiting) games was include a 'techcraft' mechanic that went with putting technology together provided that the proper parts were supplied (each part would have its own craft check, material cost, etc.). I also included a system for research and blueprint drafting/copying/etc. Techcraft is also a skill that works a little like repair in D20 Modern.

- An Archon should be a race of its own. It's a being born of pure psionic energy, formed by two templars. Having two PCs create an archon would force both players to play one character (which could be a unique experience). It's also sort of a last ditch measure considering the players essentially kill their characters to create one new one. A player could also start out as an archon in a higher level game. Creating an archon takes a while (a few minutes in-game?), and can be done with templars who are at 1 hp even (both would need to be conscious).

- Don't be afraid to make some creatures have ridiculously high challenge ratings (the cerebrates cannot be killed under normal circumstances with an overmind, ie.). Technology can allow players to deal with creatures that would ordinarily beat them senseless in a bare knuckle brawl (like a wizard without magic... although the players would still have other feats, class features, and things that distinguish each of them mechanically).

- Consider all the circumstances and all the advantages that technology grants over a standard troupe of D&D characters. This is what defines the genre and makes it more immersive. A wraith really is pretty darn fast - I originally gave a zergling with metabollic boost 100ft. speed... with 'impossible endurance', it could run indefinitely, making it the speed of a car at cruising speed (70 or so km/h) without the run feat. Battlecruisers can travel in warp space and meet all sorts of hazards. Cyberspace might be treated like another plane of existence (cyberpunk StarCraft?).

- Maneuverability is a good mechanic. Some craft can maneuver better than others. It would be nice to include a score that reflects that. Also, vehicle/craft customization. A way for a GM to create say, a valkyrie that has flamethrowers, more advanced computers, a better engine (the owner might be rich). As well as including the stock unit stat blocks, include a way for GMs to create their own craft, sort of like how the DMG tells GMs the steps to go through in creating their own monsters?

I'm actually trying to model a vehicle maneuverability mechanic off the flight mechanics for 3.5. A vehicle (a car in this case) might be able to turn better in tougher circumstances if it has a higher maneuverability along with accelerating faster- anything more would be a drive check ('balance' is what I was planning on using). Cars would take damage when travelling through unsuited terrain, but something like an 'all-terrain' vehicle would be better suited. Tricks with cars would be left up to the imagination of players and the GMs would make the appropriate rolls (usually a drive check and an amount of 'time' for the vehicle itself (usually depending on the speed it's travelling at), plain and simple).

Anything that doesn't involve driving would be a 'pilot' (or Use: Technological Device check, which is untested and not being used yet).

elliott20
2009-06-17, 12:33 AM
the thing is, 3.5 does not fit that well by virtue of implied setting sources. He could do it by hacking it up, but then in that case he might as well start off with something a little closer to begin with like d20 future.

Now, the document as shown, already has a large number of base classes and self-contained mechanics within it so you don't really NEED to borrow any more references. Just need to examine and fine tune the existing materials will be fine.

TheLash
2009-06-17, 01:04 AM
This is very well done. If you can sell it legally, I would be pleased to buy such a product. I am a big SC fan, and I have wanted to make SC RPG but never got around to it.

imp_fireball
2009-06-17, 01:06 AM
He could do it by hacking it up, but then in that case he might as well start off with something a little closer to begin with like d20 future.

So really, it's just a matter of spin the bottle to choose which system to hack up?

3.5 is as good a system as any - it's got more proven (not to mention aged) material that isn't as confined to a specific market. I'd preferrably keep it more open.

Also, I'm not telling him what to do - or to rewrite three years of work.

elliott20
2009-06-17, 01:30 AM
well, I wouldn't say that it's a spin the bottle, but rather, no matter where he starts, the end product will invariably look very different.

at any rate, it doesn't matter now since he's already written up a lot of base material. I'll have to read through it before I can really comment on the mechanics though.

playerslayer
2009-06-17, 08:50 AM
Yes this is based on the original D&D 3.5 :)

I think you are right. It is a little hardcore just to throw the reader out in rules without any proper introdoction. I will work on that, but it will take alot of time.

That's why he's contacting blizzard. He's allowed to make it ahead of time, as long as he doesn't sell it up until then. Legal stuff can get dodgy about that. But it's just my guess.

The worst case scenario is that they sue you for 'intent' even though your intent was to have their approval in the first place.

Also: Does this use D&D rules (instead of modern)? If so, you have my full support man! I'm just tired of hearing about D20: Modern all the time for those sorts of settings.

Anyway, clean it up a bit (include an intro, fluff, possible images once you get in touch with blizz, etc.) and you could be in luck.

Otherwise, just tag it with OGL. You'll need to make it free then, but I'm sure people will appreciate it. :smallwink:
-------

UPDATE: So yah, turns out I've skimmed through this before.

Here's a few notes on fluff:

- Any sort of templar would better be suited to a PRC. Especially considering the lore states what they were previously.

- 'Firebat' would be better suited to something called a 'sprayer', or a variant of the existing 'soldier/marine/whatever' class. If you could make a modern fighter, that would be convenient too. Firebats are really just soldiers with different equipment and proficiencies - in fact, both marines and firebats have stims in the game. Also, with the 'sprayer' you could include other weapons similar in function to a flamethrower, like ie., a freezegun similar to what DC comic's batman villain Mr. Freeze uses (I actually invented a unit called the hydronaught that used liquid hydrogen and froze opponents, yadda yadda).

- More focus on technology 'customization'. Essentially ways to encourage a GM to create their own fluffy technology that would suit the setting. Warhammer 40k D20 actually did a thing for robots, listing all the different types of robots and combinations such as movement modes (hover, fly, walk, etc.), limbs (like maximum of 8 to medium, 12 to large, etc.), limb utilities (graspers, guns, tools, etc.), sizes, functions and even software (although they were sort of confined to the slow, feeble, servitor sort with the stuff that was given).

One thing I actually did for one of my (still recruiting) games was include a 'techcraft' mechanic that went with putting technology together provided that the proper parts were supplied (each part would have its own craft check, material cost, etc.). I also included a system for research and blueprint drafting/copying/etc. Techcraft is also a skill that works a little like repair in D20 Modern.

- An Archon should be a race of its own. It's a being born of pure psionic energy, formed by two templars. Having two PCs create an archon would force both players to play one character (which could be a unique experience). It's also sort of a last ditch measure considering the players essentially kill their characters to create one new one. A player could also start out as an archon in a higher level game. Creating an archon takes a while (a few minutes in-game?), and can be done with templars who are at 1 hp even (both would need to be conscious).

- Don't be afraid to make some creatures have ridiculously high challenge ratings (the cerebrates cannot be killed under normal circumstances with an overmind, ie.). Technology can allow players to deal with creatures that would ordinarily beat them senseless in a bare knuckle brawl (like a wizard without magic... although the players would still have other feats, class features, and things that distinguish each of them mechanically).

- Consider all the circumstances and all the advantages that technology grants over a standard troupe of D&D characters. This is what defines the genre and makes it more immersive. A wraith really is pretty darn fast - I originally gave a zergling with metabollic boost 100ft. speed... with 'impossible endurance', it could run indefinitely, making it the speed of a car at cruising speed (70 or so km/h) without the run feat. Battlecruisers can travel in warp space and meet all sorts of hazards. Cyberspace might be treated like another plane of existence (cyberpunk StarCraft?).

- Maneuverability is a good mechanic. Some craft can maneuver better than others. It would be nice to include a score that reflects that. Also, vehicle/craft customization. A way for a GM to create say, a valkyrie that has flamethrowers, more advanced computers, a better engine (the owner might be rich). As well as including the stock unit stat blocks, include a way for GMs to create their own craft, sort of like how the DMG tells GMs the steps to go through in creating their own monsters?

I'm actually trying to model a vehicle maneuverability mechanic off the flight mechanics for 3.5. A vehicle (a car in this case) might be able to turn better in tougher circumstances if it has a higher maneuverability along with accelerating faster- anything more would be a drive check ('balance' is what I was planning on using). Cars would take damage when travelling through unsuited terrain, but something like an 'all-terrain' vehicle would be better suited. Tricks with cars would be left up to the imagination of players and the GMs would make the appropriate rolls (usually a drive check and an amount of 'time' for the vehicle itself (usually depending on the speed it's travelling at), plain and simple).

Anything that doesn't involve driving would be a 'pilot' (or Use: Technological Device check, which is untested and not being used yet).

You have some interesting ideas. But I belive I have already solved the archon problem (one character will gain control of the archon, and they are almost their own race).

The idea of making a customization of vehicles/space crafts was a very good idea and I will throw my self into my work once again :D
By the way try to read up on the bombs, i have made a customization
chapter on how you can make your own bombs. A class (the "rocket infantry") actualy focuses in this.

The idea of the "sprayer" was also good, and i will consider it (icying the floor could be a talent^^)

And by the way Elliot20 fell free to critisice may project, I have used alot of time on it but I still seek to improve :)

PS Thank you all very much for the quick feedbacks :smallsmile:

elliott20
2009-06-17, 09:17 AM
well, at the moment, aside from the presentation, there isn't much I can help you with without spending a lot more time just going over the doc. when I do, I'll give you some more complete notes.