PDA

View Full Version : Two questions

herrhauptmann
2009-06-16, 11:03 PM
I've got two questions I want to ask regarding an upcoming game.
I'm using a melee caster slayer in an ECL 12 game which doesn't allow variants and ACF's.
One of the items I want is a custom item that will allow me to use the spell 'Detect magic' X times per day. I've been looking through DMG and MIC and trying to apply the rules found there-in, but keep ending up with a Head slot item which duplicates a 0 level spell 4 times a day for 8-9thousand gold. That doesn't sound right.

So what specifically is the formula in plain language, and how will it affect the price making it a slotted item rather than a held item, or changing the number of uses per day?
Feats/Build:
Fighter 6, Occult slayer Witchslayer5, Hellreaver 1
Power attack, Improved sunder, Imp Initiative, Blindfight, weapon focus, mageslayer, combat brute, pierce magical protection, pierce magical conceal, Leap attack.
Find the gap skill trick

Below is a list of what I'm purchasing:

Mask of synthesete (face slot)
+1 weapon, magebane, blessed (BoED) everbright. Probably be a greenstarmetal weapon
+1 Armor: Retaliation, Helaing, Imp.Agility, Blueshine, Anti-impact. Probably a mithral breastplate
Belt of giant str +2, with a healing belt layered on
2nd healing belt purchased and carried just in case
Reciprocal bracers
Hewards haversack
Steadfast boots or the ones which allow charging as a standard action
Everlasting rations
Gloves of Spelldisruption.
Tabard of Valor (ComCham)
Still need some mundane items like light weapon, a bow, light source etc

--The second question is actually for a party member. He's going Druid/Master of Many forms. And is contemplating going Vow of Poverty on the basis that he can't find any magic items he can use while wildshaped. I've already pointed him towards Beastskin armor, wildling clasp, and Raiments of Stormwalker.
But what other items can he use while wildshaped instead of having them get absorbed into his body and become functionally useless?
I have no idea how effective his character is going to be, but I hope he doesn't go VoP, because I'm currently planning on buying some healing scrolls off the druid spell list and give them to him,so that he can heal me either in or out of combat.
Personally I don't think it's fair to automatically expect a divine character to play band-aid box and use up all his spells. Hence the scrolls.

Thanks everyone.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-06-16, 11:12 PM
Give him wands, not scrolls. Much more cost-efficient, since he won't be healing durng combat. Also, he can Wildshape, then have someone dress him in the items. All magic items except weapons and Armor resize/reshape to fit the wearer. IIRC, the example given is a Beholder with rings on his eyestalks.

Your item should cost 1*1*1,800 GP, for a slotted item usable at-will. The chart is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm).

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-06-16, 11:17 PM
One of the items I want is a custom item that will allow me to use the spell 'Detect magic' X times per day. I've been looking through DMG and MIC and trying to apply the rules found there-in, but keep ending up with a Head slot item which duplicates a 0 level spell 4 times a day for 8-9thousand gold. That doesn't sound right.
Or if and your DM are OK with making that fancy, green weapon of yours an intelligent item, you could have it be able to detect magic at will for an additional 4600 gp http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm

Dagren
2009-06-16, 11:54 PM
I have no idea how effective his character is going to be, but I hope he doesn't go VoP, because I'm currently planning on buying some healing scrolls off the druid spell list and give them to him,so that he can heal me either in or out of combat.
Personally I don't think it's fair to automatically expect a divine character to play band-aid box and use up all his spells. Hence the scrolls.How does your DM interpret VoP? If the wands are only used for healing you, some might allow you to keep them and him to do you a favour by activating them. Obviously, this is a dodgy subject, as people are wont to abuse this, "technically" owning stuff for their VoP buddies, but if that's the major barrier to VoP it's worth knowing where your DM stands.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-17, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the help everyone.

I'm already throwing something else at him. Gold/Platinum weapon counts as if one size category larger (Magic of Faerun, a 3.0 book). It requires a feat to use properly, or the balanced enchantment in A&EG.
I'd like to get strongarm bracers, wield a large sized greatsword (2d6 -> 3d6) made of Gold or Platinum (3d6->4d6). Give it Magebane (+1->+3 and +2d6) with a Lesser truedeath crystal (ghosttouch +1d6 on undead).
So if I get a minimum of +3 magebane with greater truedeath (granted I can't afford that at this level), 8d6 on a lich. Throw in reciprocal bracers and the skill trick 'Spot the gap', I'm pretty much guaranteed to hit, and with teh bracers, any hit is a crit threat. Use something like Blessed (BoED), to autoconfirm on evil creatures, and that's 16d6 against the lich with a greatsword. Imagine if I did that with a mercurial blade.

If that uber weapon fails, I'll ask for an intelligent sword.

Keld Denar
2009-06-17, 02:18 AM
Why do you need Detect Magic? Occult Slayer3 gives you Aurasight, which is Detect Magic at will as a FREE ACTION. You can ping it around you like a radar until you pick something up, and then concentrate on it as needed. Now that's useful!

Also, Bane damage is extra dice like Flaming or Sneak Attack, doesn't multiply on a crit.

And you only need to buy a +3 weapon to use your Greater Crystal if your group doesn't have any casters in your group. At ECL13, most casters should be able to give you a CL13+ Greater Magic Weapon which will make the crystal stick to it most of the day. Thats WAY better than paying the 42000g to go from a +2 to a +5. If you really want to screw of those types, Sacred from Libris Mortis gives +1d6 vs undead, +2d6 vs outsiders, and aligns you to [Good] which will help you with quite a few foes up to but not including Mariliths and Balors.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-17, 09:36 AM
Whoops, forgot to put in the build change. Ended up going Witchslayer instead of occult a few hours before posting this last night. It's been fixed.

Good catch on magebane not getting multiplied, I missed that because of how much I want to throw 16d6 for a crit.
If I can find the updates, he'll allow the Large Golden greatsword for 4d6. :)