PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Magic

FatherMalkav
2009-06-17, 12:45 AM
So I'm a huge fan of the ToM. Binders are one of my favorite classes to play. True Namers, while i love the concept, fall MUCH too short as many of us know. The third (second?) magic listed in the book though was Shadow Magic. I've never played a Shadowcaster and I was curious if anyone else had and if so, how do they stack up? I'll admit, I haven't scrutinized the book but still; is it a fun alternative, fall flat on its face like an Evocation Wizard or is it a diamond in the rough as far as classes go?

Eldariel
2009-06-17, 01:01 AM
As written, it's just pretty underpowered. The writer of the class has posted unofficial fixes here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/184955-shadowcaster-fixes-mouseferatu.html#post3273239). Those changes improve it a bit; still nothing amazing, but nothing horrible either. It's not a Spells-to-Powers Erudite, but it's not a CW Samurai either.

Fishy
2009-06-17, 01:28 AM
Individual Mysteries are stronger than equivalent Spells, so you get an awful lot fewer of them. If your DM does the 1-encounter, 5 minute adventuring day, that works in your favor- though you don't have the flexibility of a Psion.

The other thing is that every Metashadow feat and nearly every Mystery is in that one book and no where else. You're not overwhelmed with options, really.

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-17, 01:54 AM
In my experience works, but in gestalt, a friend of mine has another caster as the other class.

So the other class is a constant caster, the Shadowcaster "bursts" (see how he apply metashadow, as an example).