PDA

View Full Version : My campaign of Factions

ChronoDwarf
2009-06-17, 01:57 AM
Factions) "Heaven" "Hell" and "The Empire"

When I refer to the empire its always the same empire.

The DnD campaign as it stands now is going to start the players as being brought out of prison by the counsel of the empire. Something evil has been let loose in the dwarven capital of mithril hall. A long lost portal to "hell" has opened, they want a small group of "expendable" units, to scout it out and do anything they can until a force of substance can be risen to help. Shortly after arriving at mithril hall a portal to "heaven" will be opened. some how the group will discover the two factions have declared an all out war on each other, the gods them selves are taking sides, The empire is being split in two. As cults start come out of the wood work to over throw all order. Neither side has remorse for any of the living beings of earth, and soon a third faction arises, The Empire. The "Empire" has held onto control, but as law and order start to shatter around the characters, the dragons of myth thought to of been long exinct start to arise to help save the world from this Armageddon, as elder wyrms arise with a force of other dragon and dragon sub-types, "The Empire" will become a major force to be reconed with.

The characters will be given a choice of which side they want to join "The Empire" (Dragons-Empire) "Hell" (demons-Devils) or "Heaven" (angels-archons) according to the side they choose they will become "half-Celestial", "Half-Dragon" or "Half-Fiend". From there on they will be helping to win for their side. many chances will be given for them to change sides but their subtype of (half-celestia ETC.) will not change.

If you have any ideas on changes then please get back to me I was thinking of taking the drow out of there because they sound kind of like an odd thing to be putting in the (save the world) category.

(Yes I know demons and devils hate each other but for this capaign they dont)

Yora
2009-06-17, 02:04 AM
some how the group will discover the two factions have declared an all out war on each other
What factions? You didn't introduce them yet.

The empire is being split in two.
What empire? You didn't introduce that either.

As cults start come out of the wood work to over throw all order.
What's the cults goal?

and soon a third faction arises, The Empire.
Is that the same empire as before, or is this a new group?

ChronoDwarf
2009-06-17, 02:11 AM
What factions? You didn't introduce them yet.

What empire? You didn't introduce that either.

What's the cults goal?

Is that the same empire as before, or is this a new group?

So first you aasked the two factions those would be "heaven and hell"

the cults would just be trying to cause chaos (their pretty much just EXP. encounters so the characters can lvl a lil faster)

And yes the empire would be the same empire I'll go through and clear that up.

Yora
2009-06-17, 02:15 AM
And is Mithral Hall the Mithril Hall of King Bruenor? I somehow suspect it is not.

ChronoDwarf
2009-06-17, 02:23 AM
no. K what im goin to do is add some background right here.

so the councel consists of one of every large race (human, orc, gnome, Dwarf, elf, and halfling)

Mitharil hall is the capital of the Dwarf

The Hut of Many Is the capital of the orcs

the Tree of Sorrow is the capital of the elfs.

the City of Eagle Feather is the human capital.

the valley of whispers is the capital of the halflings

and the metropolis of all is the capital of the gnomes

any races not listed are just considered to not have a large enough population to be on the councel

All books are allowed

I do not have the names of any of the counselors,

Origomar
2009-06-17, 02:34 AM
And there will be two halfings a wizard, an elf, a dwarf, and a human and there task is to get the golden necklace and cast it into the geyser at yellowstone park.

great now i gotta go make my own campaign that is an awful parody.

Edit: im not saying yours is im just really bored

Emy
2009-06-17, 04:30 AM
And there will be two halfings a wizard, an elf, a dwarf, and a human and there task is to get the golden necklace and cast it into the geyser at yellowstone park.

Ah but first that wizard, a halfling, and 13 dwarves have to go get it.

Kol Korran
2009-06-17, 07:35 AM
um, some thoughts:
1) the Rebels faction is realy not defiend well (also, if you call them Rebels, than what are they rebelling against?). i don't realy understand their goals and interaction with the other two factions....

2) on that matter- why the hell a union between drow and dragons? i suggest stick ot just one theme (the dragons seem appropriate) and be done with it. i'd suggest to give them a different name such as "the prismatic alliance", or "scales of the world", or "wyrms of power" or whatever.. (i'm not very good with names)

3) what if the players don't wish to join any of the factions, but hold true to the alliance of the common races, namely, the empire? what if they just wish the world to go back to how it was? can they do that? what happens when they choose to align with the empire?

4) on the subject of the Empire: again- this should be a very complex "entity" (sort to speak), with many sides, groups and organizations within it. diversity and politics may play a greater role than in any of the other factions. i suggest you flesh it out.

5) some very basic things to consider: what happens if any of the sides win, in terms of the world, it's inhabitants, and the player characters. think of this for each faction, as players will want those answers, and they will affect what they choose. another realy importent question, especially when planning the campaign and it's adventures is "how does any faction plans to win?" what are the goals/ targets? do they need to conquer someplace? make a special planes encompasssing ritual? destroy specific entities of the other factions side? what? make these clear goals, that require both great armies and small bunch of high level characters. don't let this wait in the background, answer this upfront as it will shape your entire campaign.

6) clerics, paladins, and other believers: how are they influenced by this turn of events? do they get to interact with their gods, or their messangers on any levels? can they even reflect on choocing an opposing side? can cleric and so on be "recruited" by other factions? faith usually either shatters completly or gets intensified into fanticism when the gods come a knocking...

all i can think of at the moment. the idea sounds like it has potential, but it needs a lot of fleshing out. good luck!
Kol

bosssmiley
2009-06-17, 10:52 AM

Tough Guide to Fantasyland. Hard mode: every cliché in the book. :smallamused:

@OP: Needs more subversion of existing tropes. Where are the slaver dwarves? Why are the halfling cults of the Kneecapping God not allied to the maggotborn Drow? One faction of humans? Needs at least five! And where are the depraved crossbreeds of Elf and [any species you care to mention]? Where are the fey childsnatchers and the cities on the backs of giant creatures? Where are the endless seasons which induce magical mutation (http://valleyofbluesnails.blogspot.com/)?

You can do anything with this fantasy world of yours. Why do what's already been done?

"There is no point in achieving less than one's predecessors." - Mark Twain.

vicente408
2009-06-17, 11:32 AM
It might be a wee bit easier to get a grasp on what you're trying to say if you had some names for the various groups, even just placeholder ones.

Fishy
2009-06-17, 12:45 PM
Ideally, you want your players to side with a faction because they like the faction, not because they like the mechanical bonus of the template, or because they like the pay, or because if they don't the world ends.

In order for that to work, you need a *lot* more factions.

Remember, too, that symmetry is not nearly as interesting as asymmetry. As much as you can, give them different goals, different methods, and different 'feels'.

(Also, go read up on Planescape (http://www.mimir.net/factions/index.html).)

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-17, 02:24 PM
I'm not sure I like the templates idea. Why would it be the case that each of the factions uses its magical mystical mojo to transform important mortal agents of theirs like that? Even if they're all copying each other, it seems like a big coincidence for all of them to be able to (in a way that makes cost-effective use of their power, anyway).

I'm inclined to agree with Fishy. It would probably be more interesting to have the factions radically different from each other in how they function, rather than having them mirror each other. Of course, to a degree, fiends and celestials are already set up as mirrors of each other, but their differences will be important too. And the Empire should be markedly different from the outsiders, since it's a coalition of mortals on the Material Plane, mostly trying to survive, etc.

the Tree of Sorrow is the capital of the elfs.
What are they, emo elves or something?

Comet
2009-06-17, 02:32 PM
What are they, emo elves or something?
Being sorrowful is not emo. Being sorrowful for inadequate reasons is.
I bet your comment was tongue-in-cheek, but still. Sadness and sorrow can make awesome and tragic heroes. If the elves suffered horribly in their history, it would kinda make sense for them to name their city after those tragedies. Pessimistic, but hey, so is 40k. :smalltongue:

Needs more subversion of existing tropes.
Doesn't everything just?

But I agree with everyone, some fleshing out is required here. Names, personalities, intrigue. But I like the sound of it so far.

Devils_Advocate
2009-06-17, 02:50 PM
Hey, I said "or something". :smalltongue: