PDA

View Full Version : A Look into the Future

HMS Invincible
2009-06-17, 02:33 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html

The last panel shows an aged goblin telling his story about his first million gold pieces. The background shows a world famous restaurant that hasn't been attacked even though it is a goblin owned store. Is this the future? Aka, the snarl has not destroyed the world? Ahhh, random thoughts...

nosignal
2009-06-17, 03:14 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html

The last panel shows an aged goblin telling his story about his first million gold pieces. The background shows a world famous restaurant that hasn't been attacked even though it is a goblin owned store. Is this the future? Aka, the snarl has not destroyed the world? Ahhh, random thoughts...

Ahh, but notice how the mountains in the background turned from blue to purplish(?), clearly the blood of countless innocents was spilt between now and then.

Also notice how there's not one human in that picture.

Hmm... :smallwink:

rxmd
2009-06-17, 03:51 AM
But his establishment wouldn't be called Goblin Dan if being a goblin wasn't somehow the exception rather than the rule. :smallbiggrin: I mean you don't see burger joints called "Human Hank" in the American Midwest, do you?

Ichneumon
2009-06-17, 04:00 AM
Maybe it just shows a parralell univerise?

Kish
2009-06-17, 06:36 AM
I'm pretty sure the Snarl will not destroy the OotS world, but not because of that strip. It's a punchline, I think it's a bad idea to overthink it (which in this case means, put any weight on it at all).

factotum
2009-06-17, 06:37 AM
There's further proof that the world doesn't get destroyed for at least 2 or 3 years, given the Oracle's prediction about next getting killed by an angry druid in 1087...

Haven
2009-06-17, 07:11 AM
Goblins have shorter lifespans than humans.

That copout aside, it's likely he started his shack before Redcloak's decisive moment, and the franchise grew popular and well-known enough that changing the name just wouldn't do even if Goblins became the dominant species.

theinsulabot
2009-06-17, 07:31 AM
he might of just made his money really quickly. like he started the shop as an aged goblin, it was an instant hit, and since he didnt have to pay for the food, just the cooks, he made his first million in two and a half months.

i mean, hydra burgers, even in the oots world thats gotta be a rare delicacy, probably he is charging an arm and a leg

shadzar
2009-06-17, 07:36 AM
But his establishment wouldn't be called Goblin Dan if being a goblin wasn't somehow the exception rather than the rule. :smallbiggrin: I mean you don't see burger joints called "Human Hank" in the American Midwest, do you?

:smalleek: There are goblins in the American Midwest? :smallconfused:

I will just this this about names of establishments having anything to do with the name of someone.... Dirty ****'s Crabhouse (http://www.dirtydickscrabs.com/)

Optimystik
2009-06-17, 09:22 AM
I will just this this about names of establishments having anything to do with the name of someone.... Dirty ****'s Crabhouse (http://www.dirtydickscrabs.com/)

You couldn't have picked something tamer, like Eat at Joe's? :smallsigh:

As others have said, old goblin does not necessarily equal far-flung future. Their lifespan is indeed short; Right-Eye illustrates this quite well in SoD.

Morquard
2009-06-17, 09:58 AM

As others have said, old goblin does not necessarily equal far-flung future. Their lifespan is indeed short; Right-Eye illustrates this quite well in SoD.
Right-eye was 40 years or so old, and he didn't look terribly old. Maybe a bit older than 40 year old human, but certainly not like 70 or so.
Also he was speculating on reaching age 50 early on, where Redcloak says "if you keep acting like that I doubt you reach 20" or so, but nothing that would indicate that 50 was something ridiclous like someone that says "Wow, when I'm 200 I want to do this and that".
Also Goblin lifespan is probably shorter than human, because of the Saphire Guard... having 5 year old goblins that die lower the average age considerably.

shadzar
2009-06-17, 10:07 AM

Eat at Joe's was not the NAME of the establishment. The name of it was just Joe's.

The point was that what is in a name is subjective to it.

Having a goblin named Bob might have been the strange thing, and thus having Goblin in front of it, like Richard's seafood diners, signifies something about the name itself being out of place.

:smallconfused: And what is wrong with seafood? I can't eat it, but that kind of place name begs to question what is inside! Which proves the point you cannot just something based on its name. That place is/was quite clean when I went.

Optimystik
2009-06-17, 10:11 AM
Right-eye was 40 years or so old, and he didn't look terribly old. Maybe a bit older than 40 year old human, but certainly not like 70 or so.
Also he was speculating on reaching age 50 early on, where Redcloak says "if you keep acting like that I doubt you reach 20" or so, but nothing that would indicate that 50 was something ridiclous like someone that says "Wow, when I'm 200 I want to do this and that".
Also Goblin lifespan is probably shorter than human, because of the Saphire Guard... having 5 year old goblins that die lower the average age considerably.

He was wrinkled, had white hair, and liverspots; all of the Giant's "age-indicators." Sure he wasn't hunched over with a cane, but he certainly looked older than a 40-year old human would have (including looking older than Eugene in the tavern.)

:smallconfused: And what is wrong with seafood? I can't eat it, but that kind of place name begs to question what is inside! Which proves the point you cannot just something based on its name. That place is/was quite clean when I went.

That you thought I was referring to the word "dirty" speaks volumes sir.

Bibliomancer
2009-06-17, 03:45 PM
However, note that the goblin is wearing the exact same shirt (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html) in the future. This indicates that it isn't a vision of the future but a day dream before the hydra wakes up (after losing it's first few heads due to the automatic reduction mentioned in the MM) and eats him.

Darius1020
2009-06-17, 05:21 PM
As an unrelated sidenote, how is it world famous? People forget their trips to sunken valley, no one would remember the food, so really it would only be famous to the Oracle...

Sanguine
2009-06-17, 06:06 PM
As an unrelated sidenote, how is it world famous? People forget their trips to sunken valley, no one would remember the food, so really it would only be famous to the Oracle...

Unless in the future the Oracle is dead, bye bye memory charm.

Almaseti
2009-06-17, 06:14 PM
Guys we already know that the Snarl doesn't eat the world: Elan gets a happy ending, remember? You can't have a happy ending if you're unmade by a god-killing monstrosity.

Forbiddenwar
2009-06-17, 06:25 PM
Guys we already know that the Snarl doesn't eat the world: Elan gets a happy ending, remember? You can't have a happy ending if you're unmade by a god-killing monstrosity.

Actually Rich does say in War and XPs that you can have a happy ending, even by dying or being unmade by a god killing monstrosity.

Ridureyu
2009-06-17, 06:25 PM
I figure it depends. If too many people on the ofrum predict a happy ending, thent he Snarl will win:smallcool:

Sanguine
2009-06-17, 06:28 PM
I figure it depends. If too many people on the ofrum predict a happy ending, thent he Snarl will win:smallcool:

Well in that case I predict no-one will die but Belkar who will go to the infinite layers of the abyss and form his own kingdom. Followed by the gods giving goblins equal treatment and Xykon being smote by the star metal greenhilt sword./sarcasm

Elemental_Elf
2009-06-17, 06:40 PM
However, note that the goblin is wearing the exact same shirt (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html) in the future. This indicates that it isn't a vision of the future but a day dream before the hydra wakes up (after losing it's first few heads due to the automatic reduction mentioned in the MM) and eats him.

Good theory! it also explains why the Hydra isn't on a rampage in that distant future (2 heads left means its free to eat Goblin Dan's customers!).

R. Malcovitch
2009-06-17, 06:51 PM

There's been many, MANY, hypotheses that state that Elan's happy ending takes place in the afterlife. Also, if the Snarl is on a rampage immediate suicide would be the best option. Your soul would survive.

Kris Strife
2009-06-17, 07:07 PM

If my name was Hank, I would totally do that.

Almaseti
2009-06-17, 07:19 PM
@ above: I find it hard to imagine that Elan would be happy if the Order failed their quest. Durkon was okay (happy, even) with dying so long as he'd be buried with his family, but Elan isn't that stoic. If nothing else, he'd feel like the story had a "downer ending" that didn't fit the tone of the rest.

NamonakiRei
2009-06-17, 07:51 PM
Ahh, but notice how the mountains in the background turned from blue to purplish(?), clearly the blood of countless innocents was spilt between now and then.

Hmm... :smallwink:

Heh, good catch... now that I think of it, the sky looks purple-ish too... Wait! :smalleek: does that mean that the rift above Azure city has gron so much as to shed the purplish light above the sunken valley, miles away? ...
That would be awesome... :smallbiggrin:

Yeah. More SoD spoiler:
Taking in account Right-Eye's comment about being the same age as his son Ridiziak when the paladins attacked the village, and us later knowing due to Redcloak's comment that Ridi is 14, then we can deduct Right-Eye is about 18 in the swamp episode, and about 48 years old in the end, about a year-and-a-half ago. This goblin, Dan,a looks like Right-Eye did when he was between 18-21, and later, he looks like Right-Eye when he was about 39-48, so I believe we can say safely that some 20 years have gone by.

And as for the lack of humans, I say, humanoid rule!!!! (No, really, I look sane for two seconds and then...)

ericgrau
2009-06-17, 09:49 PM

There are also hobgoblins, ogres and lizardmen, of course.

Pogogoblin
2009-06-17, 10:03 PM
Maybe it's an isolated community of Goblins. (shrug.)

but be honest here, would you eat at a place called

Louie Lizardman's Tasty Burgers?
really?

Red XIV
2009-06-17, 10:22 PM
Good theory! it also explains why the Hydra isn't on a rampage in that distant future (2 heads left means its free to eat Goblin Dan's customers!).
That's why they have the Hydra tied down.

David Argall
2009-06-17, 11:56 PM
he might of just made his money really quickly. like he started the shop as an aged goblin, it was an instant hit, and since he didnt have to pay for the food, just the cooks, he made his first million in two and a half months.

We have goblin Dan as an old man and as a normal adult goblin, possibly quite young. So it is presumably over 20 years, possibly 40.

Re: A Look into the Future
However, note that the goblin is wearing the exact same shirt in the future. This indicates that it isn't a vision of the future but a day dream before the hydra wakes up
There are conventions for showing dreams, which are not followed here, and that would ruin the joke of the party not recognizing they were walking away from a fortune.

rxmd
2009-06-18, 02:05 AM
There are also hobgoblins, ogres and lizardmen, of course.

Well then I'm looking forward to having a snack at Lizardman Louie's Griffon Grill. :smallyuk:

TDG
2009-06-18, 05:24 AM
Maybe the Snarl unmakes the world and the gods remake it - the Goblin God (Now allowed to take part in God-like discussions) insisting that Goblin Dan's be an integral part of the new new world.

Morquard
2009-06-18, 05:58 AM
As was said before, happy ending might not mean "happy ending" :)
Elan is weird at times, and cries at good plot expositions and stuff, who knows for him a happy ending might even be getting devoured by the snarl if it makes a great story :)

Also, considering the Snarl not only kills and destroys everything, but actually unmakes it, it might be very possible that any prediction about the future don't even involve the snarl and are becoming moot the very moment the snarl breaks free