PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on the Artificer

Fixer
2009-06-17, 07:38 AM
I have been giving some thoughts to playing an artificer lately and was wondering how best to build one. I am not the blaster type so going with massive wand damage isn't my style. I enjoy building things and supporting my teammates so I was thinking of going the artisan route, with several craft skills, UMD, and Search (to be helpful with the traps). For feats I'm thinking the cost reduction feats (XP and money) and the Wand Mastery feat. These parts I am not planning on changing under any circumstances.

For race I was thinking warforged, eventually going for that feat that makes you immune to criticals and sneak attacks. No adamantine body or mithril body though as he really hopes to avoid getting hit by not being near anyone who wants to hit him. My backup race is human, or perhaps changeling. I am not set in stone on any of these, though.

For other feats I am thinking the one from FR that reduces costs to 75% for one item creation feat (that being Craft Wondrous Item) would be helpful. I am somewhat at a loss, though, about what other feats might be appropriate. I seem to be having a brain fart about what he COULD have.

Remember, I am not looking to make an uber, just a strong supporting character. Any input towards this end would be appreciated.

Iku Rex
2009-06-17, 07:44 AM
What level will you start on?

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-17, 07:46 AM
Have you access to Magic Item Compendium? At least in my experience, Augmentation Crystals are a MUST.

I don't know if it's of your interest, but take a look on the Artisan Craftsman feat from one of the latest issues of Dragon Magazine. It makes mundane items more interesting, and advantages stack with magin enhancements.

Cyclocone
2009-06-17, 07:52 AM
If you're allowed to use FR feats, Mercantile Background is your friend.

Coidzor
2009-06-17, 08:03 AM
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=813665

I linked this in another Artificer thread less than a few hours ago... and I still have it up since I've been skimming over it from time to time off and on as I've been staying up all night.

Extraordinary Artisan reduces the base-cost of crafting for GP alone for any magical item (wands, wondrous, staves, etc.) by 75% and I think it took the Faerunian feat and revamped it with two others for Xp and time for Eberron. It doesn't change any of the things (like XP cost or time) based off of the original GP value though.

If you like having minions, the homonculi that an artificer can create (Eberron's Campaign Setting book and Magic of Eberron(?) have the two bodies of homonculi that the artificer gets access to as part of the class's features) become a force to be reckoned with, especially with multiple ones and with the Improved Homonculus feat (allows extra features like more HD, the ability to sneak attack, magical weapons)... Not sure if Warforged can make homonculi what with the blood thing... hmm...

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-17, 08:06 AM
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=813665

Not sure if Warforged can make homonculi what with the blood thing... hmm...

Fluff-wise, an adjustment of this could lead to an even more cool thing.

Fixer
2009-06-17, 08:11 AM
Probably beginning at level one. First feat would be the GP cost reduction feat, to try to use up the craft reserve before hitting level 2. 3rd level would likely be the XP reduction feat, to be able to spread the wealth even farther.

I have access to all the books. What I might be allowed access to is dependent on whatever GM I can find to run me through a game. Finding games seems a difficult task.

Coidzor
2009-06-17, 08:13 AM
Fluff-wise, an adjustment of this could lead to an even more cool thing.

Hmm? Not sure what you mean there... :smallconfused: Do you mean something along the lines of a warforged taking bits and pieces out of himself to make into the homonculi?

Fixer
2009-06-17, 08:18 AM
With warforged most of their 'systems' are considered to be analogous to humans. Thus, when a human would use blood, a warforged would use whatever sort of liquid is used in their body. Perhaps 'essence of warforged' if they don't use a liquid.

Kol Korran
2009-06-17, 08:20 AM
just some thoughts:
1) there is a warforged artificer substituion class in races of Eberron, might be worth to look thorugh it? i don't remember the details, but i think the main thing there is crafting an intelligent item for you, rather than a homonuculi.

2) if you have magic of Eberron, look at the homonuculi improvement and feats. (again- i don't recall the exact system or rules for that). might be fun.

3) same book, at the back there are new homonuculi. the packmate and the crossbow thingy are nice...

4) an artificer fills in the holes in the groups magic using abilities. so further advice depends on what you guys have on hand- no cleric? suddenly you're crafting lesser vigor and CLW scrolls and wands. no wizard? here come scrolls of grease and color spray and so on.

5) i would consider taking the admantine body. it's a realy decent protection for one feat, and i'f i'm not mistaken (again i don't have the rules with me), i think you need it for the "no criticals/ full foritification" feat... then again, i may be wrong.

hope this helped somehow,
Kol.

Doc Roc
2009-06-17, 08:23 AM
"Artificers fill the gaps that the shield leaves open." ?

Fixer
2009-06-17, 08:28 AM
The feat to ignore criticals has a level and race requirement, not a feat requirement, to be clear.

How about NOT playing a warforged? I am more interested in what feats would be best selected after level 9 or so.

Kol Korran
2009-06-17, 08:55 AM
again, not sure about the rules, but another idea:

metmagic feats, for two reason- first, i think the artificer can add the metamagic effects to his wands (or is there a feat for that as well? not at my home computer) second- for creating items that contain metamagic effects, mostly scrolls and wands i think.

as to not playign a warforged?
i'd go with changling. just because changling are such fun. and with your gadgets and magic items you could probably imitate any class or person. (thoguh truth be told, with the artificers talent you could imitate the changling's power easely enough).
other than that? depends on the campaign too much...

Kol.

Fixer
2009-06-17, 09:10 AM
From what I have been reading the general rule is that an artificer can add *ONE* metamagic feat they know to a wand (which may or many not have metamagic of its own). Do allow more than that would be extremely abusable and, to be frank, I wouldn't allow it as a GM myself.

Which metamagic feats would be best?

Cyclocone
2009-06-17, 09:47 AM
again, not sure about the rules, but another idea:

metmagic feats, for two reason- first, i think the artificer can add the metamagic effects to his wands (or is there a feat for that as well? not at my home computer) second- for creating items that contain metamagic effects, mostly scrolls and wands i think.

That would be Metamagic Spell Trigger. From Cmag IIRC.

I am more interested in what feats would be best selected after level 9 or so.

Hmm, lvl 9 is when you qualify for the Landlord feat, and since you're building stuff, it might be worth looking into? (it's in stronghold builders guide).

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-17, 09:49 AM
Hmm? Not sure what you mean there... :smallconfused: Do you mean something along the lines of a warforged taking bits and pieces out of himself to make into the homonculi?

I was thinking to something like SPAWNING from the artificier.

Coidzor
2009-06-17, 09:52 AM
I was thinking to something like SPAWNING from the artificier.

So, sort of like budding off? Or more chest-burster/giving birth?

..Hmm... Energy Admixture is pretty popular for a higher level metamagic feat, I hear... Lets you get more bang out of wands as well...both in terms of damage and threat to energy resistant/immune critters.

Deth Muncher
2009-06-17, 10:09 AM
Not sure if Warforged can make homonculi what with the blood thing... hmm...

This is why the Powers What Be invented Racial Substitution Levels. There's Warforged Artificer substitution levels in either Races of Eberron or the actual Campaign Setting itself, although the pages escape my mind at the moment.

EDIT: Forgot to, like, finish the thought, y'know? ::pops bubblegum::

Yeah, so, there's a Sub. Level you take at the same level you'd normally get Craft Homonculus, and although I can't remember WHAT the benefit is, it's better than the homonculuc, IMHO.

Fixer
2009-06-17, 10:19 AM
Hmmm... I hadn't thought about strongholds...

Landlord feat (for money acquisition to build stuff)
Create Portal (to various locations in key towns)
Many homonculous to guard the building and its occupants.

Make it mobile and you can have yourself an exclusive market for merchants and for adventurers passing through.

Yes, I likey!

EDIT: What sort of skills would he need? Craft-Trapmaking comes to mind. Knowledge-Architecture?

Fixer
2009-06-17, 11:53 AM
What are the pre-reqs for Create Infusion? The one from Masters of the Wild.

sofawall
2009-06-17, 07:29 PM
The Warforged substitution level allows you to make arms and armour at reduced cost in both GP and XP. This allows you to make something, then eat it for craft reserve xp and actually gain xp. that way, you can craft without burning your own xp, provided sufficient downtime.

Eldariel
2009-06-17, 07:40 PM
Pick up Persistent Spell and use it with Metamagic Item-infusion to Persist spells from Wands/Eternal Wands to buff up the party. Probably the single best way to go with a buffing artificer. Other than that, make sure you study your Infusion-list well and make heavy use of the combat item buffing ones. And of course, craft whatever you need (the Dedicated Wright is still gold).

Yuki Akuma
2009-06-18, 04:02 AM
You best friend is Weapon Augmentation, Personal: Bane.

Remember it.

vartan
2009-06-18, 10:27 AM
What are the pre-reqs for Create Infusion? The one from Masters of the Wild.

4 ranks of the defunct Wilderness Lore skill and caster level 3rd... So survival by the update I imagine.