PDA

View Full Version : Alea iacta est

Abbott
2009-06-17, 10:23 AM
I just wanted to reveal that my gnome focused transmuter managed to completely throw off the GM's plots yesterday by trapping the Harpy Archer sent to deter us from taking one path in a giant D6 with the stone shape spell and then destroying (by accident) the tower, which set the dice rolling down a mountain and promptly killing the harpy. Of course, we were "approached" by four rakshasas after that and brough back on the plot rails, but it was still quite amusing.

Seatbelt
2009-06-17, 10:27 AM
Huzzah? This one time.. at gnome camp...

:P

Chronos
2009-06-17, 07:30 PM
The thread title is misleading... You didn't cross any rivers.

herrhauptmann
2009-06-17, 07:31 PM
You understood what the thread title means??

Eldariel
2009-06-17, 07:43 PM
You understood what the thread title means??

Famous Latin phrases are common knowledge. This one is "The die is cast." You may have heard that before; it historically involved crossing a river.

Also, breaking plot is always fun. That's what spells do.

subject42
2009-06-17, 08:01 PM
Also, breaking plot is always fun. That's what spells do.

You don't need spells to break a plot. You just need a few pints of hallucinogenic beetle extract, some casks of wine, three prostitutes, and a warehouse full of livestock.

Nohwl
2009-06-17, 08:03 PM
why not just set fire to random buildings?

Lappy9000
2009-06-17, 08:05 PM
You don't need spells to break a plot. You just need a few pints of hallucinogenic beetle extract, some casks of wine, three prostitutes, and a warehouse full of livestock.Well, naturally. I would have thought that would be assumed.

Zaq
2009-06-17, 08:31 PM
why not just set fire to random buildings?

Because we're playing D&D, not Jenga. There's so much more you can do than just bring the most banal kind of chaos to an ordered world...

herrhauptmann
2009-06-17, 09:01 PM
Famous Latin phrases are common knowledge. This one is "The die is cast." You may have heard that before; it historically involved crossing a river.

Historically crossing a river, in latin. Sounds like a reference to Caesar crossing the Rubicon with his army.
I usually just use the translations if I want to say something like that. I have no need to try to sound cooler or smarter by quoting in the original, and my pronunciation will probably be wrong.

Anyway, I thought it was some pseudo gibberish like Klingon, or this stuff from Keld Denars sig "AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!"

Eldariel
2009-06-17, 09:29 PM
Historically crossing a river, in latin. Sounds like a reference to Caesar crossing the Rubicon with his army.
I usually just use the translations if I want to say something like that. I have no need to try to sound cooler or smarter by quoting in the original, and my pronunciation will probably be wrong.

Yeah, the same. And while translations are a fair game, the phrases always lose that something when not used in the source language. And pronunciation is the easy part online ;)

Dixieboy
2009-06-17, 09:30 PM
Those of us who speak latin usually refrain from using famous quotes.

You run the risk of sounding like a smart ass or getting corrected by people who say you pronounce "Vici" wrong >.>

Kaiyanwang
2009-06-18, 02:17 AM

Yeah. Crossing the Rubicon meant attack the republic, so, once he did it, he couldn't go back and retreat his actions.

So the dice was rolled, and everybody had to accept the result. History says that Caesar rolled high. For a while.

Colmarr
2009-06-18, 02:27 AM
You run the risk of sounding like a smart ass or getting corrected by people who say you pronounce "Vici" wrong >.>

How do you pronounce Vici?

I always thought it was Veeny Veedy Veechy.

Adumbration
2009-06-18, 03:44 AM
How do you pronounce Vici?

I always thought it was Veeny Veedy Veechy.

I thought it was Veni, Vedi, Visi. Of course, in my language we spell things as they're written, so my view of it may be very distorted.

Myrmex
2009-06-18, 03:51 AM
Modern latinologists say that it was pronounced "Weeny, weedy, weechy."

kamikasei
2009-06-18, 04:00 AM
Of course, in my language we spell things as they're written

What a crazy way of doing things.

Myrmex
2009-06-18, 04:04 AM
I thought it was Veni, Vedi, Visi. Of course, in my language we spell things as they're written, so my view of it may be very distorted.

He was writing it out phonetically, as I gather from the first sentence:

"How do you pronounce Vici?"