PDA

View Full Version : Maneuvers for a SwordSage?

evil-frosty
2009-06-17, 12:38 PM
I am going to be playing a swordsage soon and was wondering what would be some good maneuvers to take, and any other things that would work well with particular maneuvers/stances. So any suggestions?

The Rose Dragon
2009-06-17, 12:41 PM
Before someone else does it, what do you want out of the character? Damage? Field control? Mobility?

Justyn
2009-06-17, 12:42 PM
I am going to be playing a swordsage soon and was wondering what would be some good maneuvers to take, and any other things that would work well with particular maneuvers/stances. So any suggestions?

Well first, do you have anything in mind?

Edit: ninja'd!

evil-frosty
2009-06-17, 12:43 PM
Well i am going to be playing by myself with just this one character, to make me think in new and creative ways. So i guess mostly damage and field control.

Tempest Fennac
2009-06-17, 01:03 PM
Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw are both good for damage with Tiger Claw being treat if you use 2 weapons; for this roll, I recommend taking the jump-based TC strikes and the Gem Nightmare Blade maneuvers. (I think the main problem with Desert Wind is that fire is the most common immunity). Regarding battlefield control, Setting Sun's throws would be good for repositioning enemies, but Shadow Hands movement based Maneuvers would be better if you want the control to focus on moving your character around. Which race and weapons are you planning on using?

evil-frosty
2009-06-17, 01:08 PM
Iam going to be playing a human. But nothing is really set in stone so i can change my weapons and feats around as i please.

Eldritch_Ent
2009-06-17, 01:34 PM
If you're going for self sufficiency, I'd reccomend a Crusader over a Swordsage.

Vortling
2009-06-17, 01:52 PM
For a solo campaign I'd suggest the shadow hand maneuvers. They work well for a sneaky sort of fellow which gives you options for exiting the battle if things turn out bad. Go with the Dex focus and you'll have plenty of ac to keep you alive.

Eldariel
2009-06-17, 02:16 PM
Are you fighting with one or two weapons? Are you using a shield? Which is your main stat? Beyond few automatics like Sudden Leap, Counter Charge, Mountain Hammer & Mind over Body (if you max Concentration), there just isn't much you must take. Pick few schools to focus on and then pick few isolated useful ones from the others that match your style.

If you go TWF, you definitely need Tiger Claw, and taking some Desert Wind for when not fighting Fire-immunes is great too (there's also handy general stuff like Flame's Blessing, Leaping Flame, Zephyr Dance and the like). If you wanna be stealthy, Shadow Hand kicks ass, both granting you ways to be stealthy, and brutal attacks against flat-footed opponents; if you go Wis-focus, the save-or-X maneuvers become pretty good too.

Diamond Mind is especially awesome if you're using one weapon, although the school has so much goodness that it's worth picking for just about anyone; two-weapon fighter can deal very impressive damage with just a single weapon with Diamond Mind, and Time Stands Still for a TWFer combined with Stormguard Warrior is just brutal. Setting Sun is great if you have Improved Trip and Dex- or Str-focus, but very specific as to what it does so see if you want the abilities it provides before investing in it (you should always have Counter Charge though).

Stone Dragon has a bunch of decent abilities, but it mostly penetrates DR, gives you DR and deals damage, so it's a bit limited. Still, Stone Dragon focus isn't all that bad either.

That's about it; can't really tell you to do X, Y or Z as it's all so much up to your character and what exactly you want out of him. Good news though: Chances are you won't be able to screw it up no matter what you do.

Adumbration
2009-06-17, 02:23 PM
I am surprised to find myself the first to ask this question: what level are you starting?

evil-frosty
2009-06-17, 02:32 PM
Oh ya i guess i should have mentioned that sorry, I will be starting at good old level 1 and eldariel i rolled really well for stats so i have three 18's which i put in strength, wisdom, and dexterity. I dont know a lot about the different schools so i just wanted to know which ones i guess were good for what. So does anyone have ones that they just love and that are just useful in many different situations?

Thorin
2009-06-17, 02:34 PM
Go shadow hand, with spiked chan and weapon finesse.

Sneakiness will be your second name. The first one is "Mobility&Reach"

Edit. 3 18's! Put them into wisdom, dexterity and constitution for maximum survival

Not only goes great with he character, also they go with all your saving throws!

evil-frosty
2009-06-17, 02:40 PM
Ok and ya i know i was like HOLY **** when i saw what i rolled. And about the spike chain thing i have had my dad (whose going to be the DM) face off against that build and he didnt like thinking it was cheap but that's coming from someone who learned how to play on 1st edition.

Thorin
2009-06-17, 03:30 PM
cheap?

Is not even optimized!

Im not saying multiclass to X an Y while grabbing Z and T feat to break the game -.-"

Was one of the fist things that came to my head when I saw your rolls and your solo session.

evil-frosty
2009-06-17, 04:13 PM
My dad is just old fashioned and i think i had the trip build thing, i am not sure it was a long time ago, And thanks to everyone who suggested things.