PDA

View Full Version : Melee Druid Without Wild Shape

subject42
2009-06-17, 01:54 PM
Have any of you successfully played a Melee-focused Druid that didn't use the wild shape or shifter class features? The UA Aspect of Nature variant seems like it might work, but the 1 min/level duration and natural attack focus seem problematic.

Quietus
2009-06-17, 02:10 PM
The trouble is that without those features, the druid will have a difficult time with certain aspects; Their wild shape and variants thereof are their main melee tools. They give them the physical oomph they require, and allow them to buff themselves with more than the animal-buff line. Without those abilities, melee-wise, the druid is more like a fighter with a pet instead of bonus feats, and who has to focus on Wisdom.

Tempest Fennac
2009-06-17, 02:14 PM
I've been considering trying both of the Druid variants on http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm because I think they sound interresting (I see them as being weaker then the Shapeshifter Druid, though).

evil-frosty
2009-06-17, 02:14 PM
Probably not what you are looking for but i am currently playing a druid thats pretty good in melee. First off the DM likes the old version of wild shape better so i get one bird, mammal, and reptile in that order right now i only have the bird one.

But anyway my party managed to capture a guy way above our level who has a girdle of hill giant strength and i get luvky and get first magic pick and get it :smallbiggrin:. Which gives me a +7 strength bonus combine that with me fighting with a +2 Keen yataghan(fancy scimitar) of defending and then in my off hand fighting with a +2 scimitar. I am getting critical hits a lot and then i am able to double my strength bonus to damage. So i am dealing out a quite a bit of damage.:smallbiggrin:

subject42
2009-06-17, 02:17 PM
The raging Druid seems like an interesting variant. Thanks for the tip.

Evil-Frosty: That's kind of the path I'm taking right now. I found out that the Shillelagh spell is so mind-blowingly, apocalyptically awesome that I'd like to continue hitting people with sticks at higher levels.

Tempest Fennac
2009-06-17, 02:25 PM
I just remembered another variant called the Metal Master, which is found on page 33 of http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf . It gets more weapon and armour proficiencies then normal Druids, but it loses Wild Shape and the Companion (it gets some other features, including DR, though). There is the Storm Druid as well which may suit your needs.

Eldariel
2009-06-17, 02:39 PM
Druidic Avenger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druidVariantDruidicAve nger) is actually pretty good as long as you come up with a way to get natural weapons in your normal form; as Druid's buffs apply to natural weapons, you definitely should try and pack some.

Although Shillelagh will carry you over the first few levels. But yeah, it's possible to even use made weapons, but that carries the unfortunate side effect of requiring a Wizard or something with Greater Magic Weapon to buff you.

Paul H
2009-06-17, 02:44 PM
Hi

'Bite of xxx...' spells from SpC grants natyural weapons. (Plus enhancements to Dex, Nat Armour, Str, Con etc).

Cheers
Paul H

subject42
2009-06-17, 03:02 PM
Hi

'Bite of xxx...' spells from SpC grants natyural weapons. (Plus enhancements to Dex, Nat Armour, Str, Con etc).

Cheers
Paul H

That might be useful. Is there any way for a Druid to reduce the metamagic cost of extending/persisting them?

Salt_Crow
2009-06-17, 04:54 PM
That might be useful. Is there any way for a Druid to reduce the metamagic cost of extending/persisting them?

Easy/Practical Metamagic feats would help, I'd imagine. Also, look up Shifter Druid racial substitution level if you're going to drop WS entirely. Its Beast Spirit ACF (replacing AC) will eventually allow you to cast one extra 6th-level or lower spell automatically quickened (bite of the werebear!).