PDA

View Full Version : Mundane Magic/Player Characters

SAMAS
2009-06-17, 03:08 PM
I'm kinda on the outs of the RPG scene, but I was wondering:

Are there many games/settings where players can choose to be classes that aren't primarily concerned with, as the old phrase goes, Killing monsters and taking their stuff?

One example I know of is the Stone Master from Rifts (World Book 2: Atlantis). He has some combat magic, but was primarily focused on building with and shaping stone.

I was thinking of magic items, and I was suddenly struck with how bloody useful it would be if you would enchant certain tools the same way you do weapons. Imagine, if you will, a +3 Shovel of Excavation: enchanted with digging and strength-enhancing spells, able to say, dig out a 3x3x3 hole with every scoop.

This of course, led me to the idea of a setting element, of a village or small town that's as well-constructed and protected as a major city. You see, there was a powerful magician or mage-smth who, tired of making weapons, retired there. To help the people out, he made a number of magic tools to help them build their town, such as the aforementioned shovel, a kiln that can turn blocks of dirt (or wood) to hard stone, farming tools that bless the land they work with increased fertility, stuff like that.

Winterwind
2009-06-17, 03:12 PM
Well, for starters there would be the vast multitude of games that do not use a class system at all. :smallwink:
In a system where characters are defined via skills, not classes, everyone is free to pick non-combat/dungeoneering relevant abilities as they please.