PDA

View Full Version : Plants Vs. Zombies, anyone?

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-17, 03:27 PM
Oh no! There's a zombie on your lawn! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N1_0SUGlDQ)

So, has anyone else gotten this litte PopCap game? It's just ten dollars on Steam, and I'm still playing it about a month after I bought it. It's an entertaining tower defense-ish game with a good sense of humor and game modes to spare. I've rather enjoyed it, how about you all?

chiasaur11
2009-06-17, 03:51 PM
Yup.
Beat all but two minigames, just unlocked infinite survival and killed a yeti, wisdom tree at 100 feet.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-06-17, 04:06 PM
Awesome game. I haven't played much past the main story though.

chiasaur11
2009-06-17, 04:10 PM
Awesome game. I haven't played much past the main story though.

Do. "I, Zombie" is a hoot and a half.

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-17, 04:19 PM
Do. "I, Zombie" is a hoot and a half.

Especially I, Zombie Endless, when it's pretty much necessary to try to figure out what the cheapest way to take a row is. Much strategic fun was had.

chiasaur11
2009-06-17, 04:33 PM
Especially I, Zombie Endless, when it's pretty much necessary to try to figure out what the cheapest way to take a row is. Much strategic fun was had.

I only got to 12.

Also: I really don't like Vasebreaker that much. Not much variation, longer than I'd like, and no reliable rewards. Am I alone on that front?

onasuma
2009-06-17, 04:39 PM
Best. Game. Ever. Still working my way through 3rd run through. I need more money for my last seed slot.

chiasaur11
2009-06-17, 04:43 PM
Best. Game. Ever. Still working my way through 3rd run through. I need more money for my last seed slot.

Huh. I'm not done with run #2 and I have everything but a 1000 foot tree of wisdom.

I'm guessing you didn't zen farm and exploit "I Zombie"?

onasuma
2009-06-17, 05:17 PM
I earn my money like a man: Killing stuff.

chiasaur11
2009-06-17, 05:38 PM
I earn my money like a man: Killing stuff.

Or rekilling stuff, as the case may be.

I earn it through brain eating and Zen (gardening).

You can't say zen isn't a badass method. I mean, it's what Charlie Crews and Vic Sage use!

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-17, 05:42 PM
Or rekilling stuff, as the case may be.

I earn it through brain eating and Zen (gardening).

You can't say zen isn't a badass method. I mean, it's what Charlie Crews and Vic Sage use!

I personally prefer to set up massive fields of marigolds on Last Stand to make my money. That, and Endless Survival. The payout on the later levels of Endless is ridiculous. I barely have the time to click on all the coins that get dropped.

chiasaur11
2009-06-17, 05:47 PM
I personally prefer to set up massive fields of marigolds on Last Stand to make my money. That, and Endless Survival. The payout on the later levels of Endless is ridiculous. I barely have the time to click on all the coins that get dropped.

Solid. Need to try endless survival.

Any tips for Bobsled Bonanza and Pogo Party?

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-17, 05:58 PM
Solid. Need to try endless survival.

Any tips for Bobsled Bonanza and Pogo Party?

Hrmm, let's see here.

Pogo Party: SQUASH. I cannot say this loudly enough, because Squash rules at killing pogo zombies in the beginning. Plant nothing but sunflowers until the pogo zombies start showing up. Squash the first one you see, then either Jalapeno/Cherry Bomb the next or let the roof cleaners take him out. Roof cleaners are especially nice because they're free to use. Keep planting more sunflowers until you can lay down a column or two of Cabbage-pults with a line of Tallnuts in front of them. Victory. If you've got the Imitater, either set him as Squash to help out in the beginning or as Tallnut to help you set up the wall faster.

Bobsled Bonanza: Also, SQUASH. Use Squash and Spikeweeds to take out Zombonis before they get too close, and use Jalapeno as often as you can afford to to clear the ice trails and take out bobsled teams. Splurge on sunflowers whenever you have free sun, and then set up... oh, let's say melon-pults to deal with the bobsled teams. Spikerocks are also nice against the Zombonis if you can afford them. The Imitater should probably be Squash, Jalapeno, or Spikeweed.

^That's all I can think of right now. Let me know if it helps.

Oh, and I've found a killer Endless Survival setup. I'll go take a screenshot and show it to you.

chiasaur11
2009-06-17, 06:36 PM
Hrmm, let's see here.

Pogo Party: SQUASH. I cannot say this loudly enough, because Squash rules at killing pogo zombies in the beginning. Plant nothing but sunflowers until the pogo zombies start showing up. Squash the first one you see, then either Jalapeno/Cherry Bomb the next or let the roof cleaners take him out. Roof cleaners are especially nice because they're free to use. Keep planting more sunflowers until you can lay down a column or two of Cabbage-pults with a line of Tallnuts in front of them. Victory. If you've got the Imitater, either set him as Squash to help out in the beginning or as Tallnut to help you set up the wall faster.

Bobsled Bonanza: Also, SQUASH. Use Squash and Spikeweeds to take out Zombonis before they get too close, and use Jalapeno as often as you can afford to to clear the ice trails and take out bobsled teams. Splurge on sunflowers whenever you have free sun, and then set up... oh, let's say melon-pults to deal with the bobsled teams. Spikerocks are also nice against the Zombonis if you can afford them. The Imitater should probably be Squash, Jalapeno, or Spikeweed.

^That's all I can think of right now. Let me know if it helps.

Oh, and I've found a killer Endless Survival setup. I'll go take a screenshot and show it to you.

Thanks. Seen several killer survival endless bits, but one more is nice.

Also, how far you got in I Zombie?

Just curious how long it is before you stop getting enough juice to work at all.

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-17, 06:41 PM
Thanks. Seen several killer survival endless bits, but one more is nice.

Also, how far you got in I Zombie?

Just curious how long it is before you stop getting enough juice to work at all.

You might have seen this one before, but this setup has gotten me over thirty so far, and I have yet to lose with it.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd267/A_Rainy_Knight/Survivalendlesssetup.jpg

Also, my Pogo Party setup:
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd267/A_Rainy_Knight/PogoPartysetup.jpg

And Bobsled Bonanza:
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd267/A_Rainy_Knight/BobsledBonanzasetup.jpg

I've only gotten a streak of 7 in I, Zombie. I need to get a little better at judging whether to use an imp, conehead, buckethead, or football to clear rows.

chiasaur11
2009-06-17, 06:49 PM
Consider using the Dancer Zombie more. It's situational, but if there's a three row block primarily consisting of instakills, it's a bargain.

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-17, 06:52 PM
Consider using the Dancer Zombie more. It's situational, but if there's a three row block primarily consisting of instakills, it's a bargain.

Yeah, I really should. At least I've learned not to use him any more on rows with a Chomper up front. 350 sun down the drain just sucks.

chiasaur11
2009-06-17, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I really should. At least I've learned not to use him any more on rows with a Chomper up front. 350 sun down the drain just sucks.

Oh yeah. Sometimes a summon in the way back works, though.

If I remember right.

So, why'd you pick peashooters over kernelpults?

I find two of them combined with a freezer lead to a solid bit of lockdown.

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-17, 08:02 PM
Oh yeah. Sometimes a summon in the way back works, though.

If I remember right.

So, why'd you pick peashooters over kernelpults?

I find two of them combined with a freezer lead to a solid bit of lockdown.

I dunno. I like the reliability of the peashooters. The snow pea + butter combo is nice, but I don't like having to rely on the chance of getting butter instead of a kernel.

Dixieboy
2009-06-17, 08:19 PM
Your use of spikes intrigue me

why not just place one and then a wall-nut?

That way they are stuck at it forced to take as much damage as you want them to until they die >.>

Myatar_Panwar
2009-06-17, 08:23 PM

That way they are stuck at it forced to take as much damage as you want them to until they die >.>

He is already putting out tons of damage by slowing them down with the ice attacks, and with rows of pikes its adds to alot. Plus you don't have to worry about replacing the nuts and can focus on extra spikes.

Really its just two different play styles, at least thats how I see it.

Dixieboy
2009-06-17, 08:40 PM
Not saying it's inferior.

Just wondering.

Personally i like to place spikes, wall-nut, (Or tall-nut) firewood and then a bunch of peashooters >.>

Never lost anything.

Vizen
2009-06-17, 08:41 PM
Aww man! I love this game!
The problem is my PC won't run it anymore. Something to do with the graphics card...Yeah...My PC is THAT OLD.

When I was playing it though it was a blast. Very cutesy game IMO.

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-17, 09:44 PM

Yeah, but one spike in front of a wall-nut gets taken down as soon as a Zomboni drives over it. A Spikerock might do the trick, but I'm kind of partial to the Snow Pea + lines of Spikeweed combo.

Dixieboy
2009-06-17, 09:47 PM
Yeah, but one spike in front of a wall-nut gets taken down as soon as a Zomboni drives over it. A Spikerock might do the trick, but I'm kind of partial to the Snow Pea + lines of Spikeweed combo.

I should try it out

but i found out my technique as soon as i got the spikes
and i have been using it ever since...

kinda stuck with it to be honest :smallredface:

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-17, 10:03 PM
I should try it out

but i found out my technique as soon as i got the spikes
and i have been using it ever since...

kinda stuck with it to be honest :smallredface:

They both have their strengths and weaknesses. If you don't have a lot of space to spare, the nut + spike combo does some great damage in just two square. But if you're up against, say, Gargantuars, they'll just smash the spike and then the nut before moving on. Three spikerocks won't hold up normal zombies as long as a spikerock and a tallnut, but they'll hold up longer against Zombonis and Gargantuars.

chiasaur11
2009-06-17, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the tips knight. Got the gold trophy with those.

So, got to 11 in vasebreaker, but Gargs wrecked my streak. Curses.

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-18, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the tips knight. Got the gold trophy with those.

So, got to 11 in vasebreaker, but Gargs wrecked my streak. Curses.

Cool. No problem. I'm actually thinking that my tips on Bobsled Bonanza were a bit off, having tried them myself, since melon-pults are far too expensive for that hectic level. But whatever works.

By the way, does Vasebreaker Endless get a little harder with each level like I, Zombie, or does it just rely on the fact that you'll probably make an unlucky mistake at some point?

CrimsonAngel
2009-06-18, 08:01 AM
I didn't know t was out!!! SOMEBODY SEND ME A LINK!!!!!!!!!!!1

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-18, 08:04 AM

Right here. (http://store.steampowered.com/app/3590/)

Trazoi
2009-06-18, 08:09 AM
You can also buy it direct from Popcap. (http://popcap.com/)

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-18, 08:12 AM
You can also buy it direct from Popcap. (http://popcap.com/)

Of course, it's twice as expensive on Popcap as on Steam.

Trazoi
2009-06-18, 08:24 AM
Of course, it's twice as expensive on Popcap as on Steam.
Maybe it's because Popcap is offering me a price in Aussie dollars, but the difference isn't that much for me. It's slightly more than the price advertised on Steam, but only by a couple of dollars after the currency conversion.

I also tend to have a preference from buying direct from a small developer if there isn't too much of a price difference, because they get the lionshare of the money from the sale. (Of course if the difference is too much or there's something odd with their payment processes, I'll start looking elsewhere.)

Then again I also don't have much of a choice, because Steam doesn't offer me a Mac version. :smallsmile:

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-18, 08:36 AM
Maybe it's because Popcap is offering me a price in Aussie dollars, but the difference isn't that much for me. It's slightly more than the price advertised on Steam, but only by a couple of dollars after the currency conversion.

I also tend to have a preference from buying direct from a small developer if there isn't too much of a price difference, because they get the lionshare of the money from the sale. (Of course if the difference is too much or there's something odd with their payment processes, I'll start looking elsewhere.)

Then again I also don't have much of a choice, because Steam doesn't offer me a Mac version. :smallsmile:

Ah, well, in US dollars, it's $9.99 on Steam and $19.99 on PopCap. I'm all for supporting developers, but I really didn't want to pay double if I could help it. And I've got a PC to boot, so I went with Steam.

Trazoi
2009-06-18, 08:42 AM
Ah, well, in US dollars, it's $9.99 on Steam and $19.99 on PopCap. I'm all for supporting developers, but I really didn't want to pay double if I could help it. And I've got a PC to boot, so I went with Steam.
Really? Steam's priced it for me at $19.99, which I'm assuming is U.S. dollars. Popcap is A$29.95. It's possible Steam is offering me a price in Australian dollars too, but I'd have expected them to have stuck the 'A' in front of the dollar sign to make it obvious. If not and that's U.S. dollars, I wonder why they're offering me a higher price.

I'm not entirely sure why Popcap was offering Plants vs. Zombies for so cheap on Steam compared to their own site. It doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

onasuma
2009-06-18, 10:09 AM

I also tend to have a preference from buying direct from a small developer

buying direct from a small developer

small developer

Well, that made me laugh.

Trazoi
2009-06-18, 10:35 AM
Well, that made me laugh.
Small in terms of publishers then. Sheesh. :smallwink:

(I actually wrote "indie developers" first, since that's the general category I tend to lump those sort of games into. I then changed it because I remembered Popcap are more established than what most people think of as "indie". Paradoxically, I was more accurate in this particular example before I made the change. :smallsmile:)

onasuma
2009-06-18, 10:40 AM
They really, really arent small at all. Bejewled sold over 25 million copies world wide, and then bookworm, bejewled twist, feeding frenzy (2) and whatever else they've made. Its a massive company (and its killing the industry).

Trazoi
2009-06-18, 10:46 AM
They really, really arent small at all. Bejewled sold over 25 million copies world wide, and then bookworm, bejewled twist, feeding frenzy (2) and whatever else they've made. Its a massive company (and its killing the industry).
Sorry, I added a few corrections to my last post. You're right in that in terms of developer size, they're extremely large.

(I'd disagree with the "killing the industry" part).

onasuma
2009-06-18, 11:02 AM
Well, if they keep going the way they're going everyone is going to eventually think "Why spent 2 years making at least a moderatly decent game when we can spend 6 months and make a cheap simple game that many more people will buy?"

chiasaur11
2009-06-18, 12:12 PM
Cool. No problem. I'm actually thinking that my tips on Bobsled Bonanza were a bit off, having tried them myself, since melon-pults are far too expensive for that hectic level. But whatever works.

By the way, does Vasebreaker Endless get a little harder with each level like I, Zombie, or does it just rely on the fact that you'll probably make an unlucky mistake at some point?

Stays mostly the same, but adds more Gargs.

And the Bobsled tips, I never got around to adding the pults. Spikes did the job fine.

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-18, 03:12 PM
I had what I thought was a neat idea for a Last Stand setup:
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd267/A_Rainy_Knight/Laststand1.jpg
Jack-in-the-box zombies ruined me, though. :smallfrown:

Corlindale
2009-06-18, 03:35 PM
Just completed the last of the minigames and got my trophy:smallsmile:

I've experimented quite a bit with Last Stand. My all-spikes setup sadly didn't cut it once the football zombies came in, but I find that a good and very simple setup is two garlics in row 2 and 5, and then as many Gloom Shrooms as you can afford behind them - remember the coffee beans! These will pretty much obliterate anything.
EDIT: It's also pretty fun - and perfectly doable - to do an all-cob cannon build.

Bobsled Bonanza is fairly easy once you get the ice cleared and spikerocks set up. Squash helps with buying time. Cloning jalapenos might be useful as well - though I've kind of gotten addicted to cloned sunflowers myself.

I had much more trouble in Pogo Party - still have to rely on the roof cleaners to beat it. Squash helps here as well. I went for a combined wintermelon + tallnut setup - one melon unaided won't kill a pogo zombie, but a winter melon will, and you're pretty much set once you get tallnuts everywhere.

I love the game, though I think it's a shame they didn't make "extended" versions of more of the minigames, like with vase-breaker and I, Zombie. It seems some of them could have had several more advanced levels added with little effort.

onasuma
2009-06-18, 03:51 PM
I had what I thought was a neat idea for a Last Stand setup:
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd267/A_Rainy_Knight/Laststand1.jpg
Jack-in-the-box zombies ruined me, though. :smallfrown:

Swap the first star fruits for magnet shrooms?

A Rainy Knight
2009-06-18, 04:45 PM
I love the game, though I think it's a shame they didn't make "extended" versions of more of the minigames, like with vase-breaker and I, Zombie. It seems some of them could have had several more advanced levels added with little effort.

I guess that's what they have Endless modes for, but I agree, I have a certain fondness for the themed levels of I, Zombie and Vasebreaker. Can't have everything, I suppose.

Swap the first star fruits for magnet shrooms?

Could work, but two magnet-shrooms would get pretty easily overwhelmed by bucketheads, screen-doors, and football zombies. I'll try swapping out the first two starfruits for magnets and replace the pumpkin'ed tall-nuts with wall-nuts to free up some sun.

Adeen
2009-07-04, 02:39 AM
This is easily the best way to do the last stand. I would add pumpkins to this, or possibly spikeweeds, but I don't have the tenth slot yet.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3453/laststand.jpg

Litterally, I just sit back and watch. I don't ever have to replace a tallnut during the 5 onslaughts, and I replace the "first" garlic about 3 times total. The gloom shrooms absolutely PWN everything that I really don't have to do anything at all, except watch the gold magnets collect tons of money. I can generally get an average of about $5000 for the entire "last stand."

Edit: Oh, and jack-in-the-box zombies are NO problem, they die long before they set off, with or without the magnets.