PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Eberron Player's Guide

Gralamin
2009-06-17, 04:32 PM
So, I just got my copy and I'm really liking the content. The Artificer is Extremely different from the Playtest article. The Feats and Paragon paths all seem to be interesting and competent, with my favorite Paragon Path idea being the Vadalis Griffonmaster, which Replaces a ranger's Beast Companion with a flying mount.

The book also introduces a few weapons that give Small characters some love. The Superior melee weapon Talenta Tangat is a high crit, versatile one handed weapon that can be wielded in one hand by small characters. The Talenta Sharrash is similarly a high crit two-handed weapon that can be wielded in two-hands by a small character.

Salt_Crow
2009-06-17, 04:55 PM
Finally! Dinosaur-riding midgets are getting some love! XD

Ent
2009-06-17, 05:00 PM
Well yeah, it's Eberron.

Sir Homeslice
2009-06-17, 06:54 PM
Enhanced Resistive Formula is incredibly, incredibly powerful. I can't even begin to describe how silly it is. Also Battle Engineers are silly too. And I have an unnessecary hardon for Drow Long Knives and am currently making up silly things to do with them.

Gralamin
2009-06-17, 07:06 PM
Enhanced Resistive Formula is incredibly, incredibly powerful. I can't even begin to describe how silly it is. Also Battle Engineers are silly too. And I have an unnessecary hardon for Drow Long Knives and am currently making up silly things to do with them.

It merely means that 2 - 3 people in the group are going to have +1 AC for a battle, and then expend it and give Hilarious amounts of temp hp to an ally without any. (By Level 21 its what, HS+27?)

Sir Homeslice
2009-06-17, 07:12 PM
It merely means that 2 - 3 people in the group are going to have +1 AC for a battle, and then expend it and give Hilarious amounts of temp hp to an ally without any. (By Level 21 its what, HS+27?)

And you don't see the problem in giving say...the defender with a massive surge value, on top of your huge con bonus, and then duplicating that giant pool of temp HP onto a squishier person? This can effectively double the amount of surges you can throw around with total impunity.

Also the AC means virtually nothing.

PS: By Epic, triple your con bonus is 24, assuming 16+2 con at chargen, bumping it up at every opportunity, and Demigodding your Con an additional two points.

Gralamin
2009-06-17, 07:30 PM
And you don't see the problem in giving say...the defender with a massive surge value, on top of your huge con bonus, and then duplicating that giant pool of temp HP onto a squishier person? This can effectively double the amount of surges you can throw around with total impunity.

PS: By Epic, triple your con bonus is 24, assuming 16+2 con at chargen, bumping it up at every opportunity, and Demigodding your Con an additional two points.

Honestly, The artificer is ALREADY the most efficient Healer in the game, what with the whole group being his Healing Granting pool.

Burley
2009-06-18, 07:47 AM

Temporary HP is nice. But, when you can only give it to one PC at a time, you end up with one healty PC and 2-12 dead ones. My group has a Dwarven Battlerager, and he almost never takes real damage. However, he has a high AC, so the monsters ended up killing the Warlord and Ranger. :smallbiggrin:
Edit: To clarify, his AC was nearly impossible for my monsters to hit, so, they ignored the defender, and took down the squishier targets.
From what I've seen of the Artificer (won't have the Eberron book until tonight...stupid postal service), it seems like one of those classes that would be really fun, if you felt like dealing with all that paperwork. I have a hard enough time keeping track of my own healing surges, but everybody in the party? No... I'm good.

Asbestos
2009-06-18, 09:52 AM
What are the artificer builds? (won't pick up my book till Monday probably)

What races are printed in the book?

Are there boomerangs?

ninja_penguin
2009-06-18, 10:38 AM
What are the artificer builds? (won't pick up my book till Monday probably)

Don't have the book directly with me; There's one that buffs the crap out of everybody, and one that summons things? I might be crossing a few wires here, as a caveat.

What races are printed in the book?

Changelings (/Dopplegangers. I think they mess the name up at least once in the book)

Kalashtar (which I like a lot better then the 3.5 version, but I never knew how psionics worked anyway)

Warforged

Are there boomerangs?

Yes. There's also a halfling weapon training feat for the halfling versions, I think. There's a drow boomerang as well.[/B]
[/QUOTE]

Sir Homeslice
2009-06-18, 03:47 PM
Temporary HP is nice. But, when you can only give it to one PC at a time, you end up with one healty PC and 2-12 dead ones.

???what

The Artificer has two Healing Infusion powers, one based off of Wis that gives actual HP, and one that gives Temp HP, based off of Con. You have two uses of Healing Infusion per encounter, so you can use the wis twice, or the con twice, or the wis once and the con once. In addition, as I mentioned before, there's a paragon feat that allows you to duiplicate the temp HP you grant to an ally to another ally.

it seems like one of those classes that would be really fun, if you felt like dealing with all that paperwork.
There is next to no paperwork involved. All you really need to do is to mark down your daily uses of Helaing Infusion, then add a few more during each short rest as needed from the characters that don't use theirs much.

Gralamin
2009-06-18, 03:54 PM
There is next to no paperwork involved. All you really need to do is to mark down your daily uses of Helaing Infusion, then add a few more during each short rest as needed from the characters that don't use theirs much.

Exactly. This means that, say, the Wizard can give healing surges to make sure the fighter can continue to be healed.

Don't have the book directly with me; There's one that buffs the crap out of everybody, and one that summons things? I might be crossing a few wires here, as a caveat.
Battlesmith's focus mostly on buffs, with daily powers that enhance allies weapons.
Tinkerers focus mostly on summoning.

Either way, at level 29, your probably going to take the Simulacrum power, that allows you to reuse Dailies and encounters you already have used by summoning a copy of yourself.

Changelings (/Dopplegangers. I think they mess the name up at least once in the book)

Kalashtar (which I like a lot better then the 3.5 version, but I never knew how psionics worked anyway)

Warforged
Correct, and they do mess up at least once

ghost_warlock
2009-06-18, 03:57 PM
I haven't spent a lot of time looking through it (just skimming it in the theater while I waited for the movie to start playing), but one thing caught my attention as just being...wrong.

Page 18, The Blood of Vol.
Unaligned.

Wut!?

Gralamin
2009-06-18, 03:58 PM
I haven't spent a lot of time looking through it (just skimming it in the theater while I waited for the movie to start playing), but one thing caught my attention as just being...wrong.

Page 18, The Blood of Vol.
Unaligned.

Wut!?

Undead are no longer Always Evil in 4e. The faith itself isn't evil, though it leadership clearly is.

Burley
2009-06-19, 12:44 PM

WAIT... Wait... So, if an Artificer makes everybody share healing surges, how would a Belt of Sacrifice (phb 252) go down? Couldn't you raise the communal healing surges higher than maximum?

TheEmerged
2009-06-19, 02:48 PM
As I feared, a little more world-specific than I'd care for. Yes, I saw the "Eberron" thing in the title :smallbiggrin: There are some tidbits here and there I'll be porting into my campaign world, but I see no reason to pick up the campaign guide at this point.

I'm intrigued by this "Telepathy" language mechanic though. I am *SO* adopting that for my world-specific psionic races/classes.