PDA

View Full Version : possible new idea on a mystic theurge

nysisobli
2009-06-17, 07:32 PM
Level 5 duskblade/ level 8 paladin/ level 7 mystic theurge =)

pros and cons?

Wings of Peace
2009-06-17, 07:34 PM
The con is that you have the paladin's spell list. Are you trying to make a gish theurge?

nysisobli
2009-06-17, 07:36 PM
honestly i dont know it just seems like it would be alot of fun

Nohwl
2009-06-17, 07:42 PM
well, i don't see a problem with it if your group does not do a lot of optimization. the question is if you used it, what would the other party members be?

Wings of Peace
2009-06-17, 07:42 PM
It could be interesting. I think I'm partially bias against the paladin. Though cleric would get you more useful spells. Particularly divine power.

nysisobli
2009-06-17, 07:44 PM
but it would drop my attack bonus alot lol, we have a gunslinger, a cleric, and an undecided player

Froogleyboy
2009-06-17, 07:49 PM
a gunslinger

Wha . . . Sense I have to write something to makemy message longer I have to say this " (.)(.) " make of it what you will

FMArthur
2009-06-17, 08:29 PM
Mystic Theurge
Hit Die: d4
BAB: lowest

I see absolutely nothing that can help you here.

Emy
2009-06-17, 08:40 PM
Level 5 duskblade/ level 8 paladin/ level 7 mystic theurge =)

pros and cons?

(skip to the bottom for a tl;dr)

I'll be honest here:

I don't see any synergy here. This is possibly the worst use of Mystic Theurge I've ever seen.

With a Sorcadin-style paladin gish, you get to base almost everything off of charisma.

All the 5th level of duskblade gets you is (aside from the obvious second level spells for Mystic Theurge entry) quick cast, which is pretty much pointless if you're going to use your paladin casting at all, since you'll be using your swift actions for paladin spells (BATTLE BLESSING).

Overall casting: 12 level duskblade (3rd level spells), 15 levels paladin (4th level spells).

The thing with Mystic Theurge is... the ONLY good feature it has is the double spellcasting. You'd better be a primary caster, or have some other neat trick if you're even going to consider using it. Instead, you're combining two slow-casting classes -- both of which are martial types -- using a prestige class which has no features, and as much base attack bonus as a wizard.

I honestly think this is worse than just Duskblade.

Armored Mage is decent, but you don't have good arcane casting, so... :(

It could be interesting. I think I'm partially bias against the paladin. Though cleric would get you more useful spells. Particularly divine power.

but it would drop my attack bonus alot lol, we have a gunslinger, a cleric, and an undecided player

The bolding is mine. Divine power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divinepower.htm) is a lovely spell that sets your base attack bonus to your character level. It's a staple of melee cleric builds.

I really have no idea what you're going for, though, since you didn't elaborate much on it. If you'll point out which parts of being a paladin/duskblade "seems like it would be alot of fun", I'll be more than happy to help you create a build that would try to keep the same "feel" while effectively contributing to the party.

Dacia Brabant
2009-06-17, 09:06 PM
Ask your DM to make it a Gestalt game and play a Paladin//Duskblade, there no need to worry about multiclassing hurting your progression.

Or if not, just dip 3 to 5 levels in Paladin (pick if Charging Smite at 5 though instead of Special Mount, unless you're planning on taking Leadership), that gets you pretty much all of its best features with plenty of room left to focus on Duskblade's goodies.

wadledo
2009-06-17, 09:28 PM
Or beat yourself in the head with a deep gnome.

Yea, tell us why you think that would be a good idea, then we can give you advice/shatter your dreams.

Unless you're a very, very poor troll, which would explain alot.

Yakk
2009-06-18, 09:15 PM
So the problem is that both Dusk and Paladin are "half caster classes" effectively.

If MT granted the lower of the two classes BaB and HD, ... and/or advanced hybrid classes like Dusk and Paladin at 1.5 to 2.0 times the rate, it might work.

Ie, imagine a Paladin "Caster PrC": "This is considered a spell-casting class for the purpose of other PrCs. Advance Paladin spellcasting progression by +2 levels each level, d6 HD, 3/4 BaB, High will low Fort/Reflex saves, requires Paladin 4, 8 level class".

Then a Duskblace "Caster PrC": "This is considered a spell-casting class for the purpose of other PrCs. Advance Duskblade spellcasting progression by +2 levels each level, d4 HD, 4/4 BaB, High will low fort/reflex saves, requires Duskblade 4, 8 level class".

Then a Paladin 5/Paladin Caster 2/Duskblade 5/Duskblade Caster 2/Mystic Theurge 6 becomes almost viable (where MT advances Duskblade Caster and Paladin Caster spellcasting levels).

This character has 10 levels of full BaB, 4 levels of mediocre, and 6 levels of poor = 10+3+3 = 16 BaB.

5d10+5d8+2d6+8d4 HD = 89.5 average roll (Paladin level 1). Vs 114.5 for a Fighter.

The character casts as a level 20 Paladin and Duskblade.

But as you can see, this takes lots of homebrew -- and the above homebrew probably contains some gooda cheese.