PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] ErrantX's Homebrew Feat Compendium

ErrantX
2009-06-17, 10:09 PM
Arcane Edge [General]
You've learned to compress your arcane power along the edge of your blade, making it temporarily sharper at the cost of it's durability.
Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +5, capable of casting 2nd level arcane spells.
Benefit: As a swift action, the character may sacrifice a prepared spell or spell slot and enlarges any slashing or piercing weapon's threat range by a number equal to the spell sacrificed for the round (i.e. a 4th level spell sacrificed would make a longsword’s critical threat range 15-20/x2). This is a perfection bonus and does not stack with the Improved Critical feat nor with the keen special weapon property. The character also receives a perfection bonus to damage equal to the level of the spell sacrificed. Whenever a weapon is used with Arcane Edge, it takes 1 point of damage that bypasses hardness.

Arcane Sage [General]
You practice an unusual martial art that mixes self-taught spellcasting and melee attacks to great effect.
Prerequisites: Discipline Focus (any), ability to spontaneously cast 2nd-level arcane spells.
Benefit: As a swift action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, you can sacrifice one of your daily allotment of spells to add a bonus to your martial strike attack rolls and damage rolls for 1 round. The bonus is equal to the level of the spell sacrificed. The spell is lost as if you had cast it. If you would normally be allowed to add your Wisdom bonus to AC or to damage with martial strikes (such as for a light armor wearing swordsage), you instead add your Charisma bonus (if any) to these abilities.

Ascetic Devotee [General]
You have learned to blend the devotion of your faith with the ascetic discipline of the monk.
Prerequisites: Monastic Training, flurry of blows class feature, ability to spontaneously cast cure light wounds, inflict light wounds, or summon nature's ally I as a divine spell.
Benefit: Choose one divine spellcasting class you possess Monastic Training in. Your levels in monk may be combined with any one divine spellcasting to determine your AC bonus, flurry of blows attacks, and unarmed damage.

Devoted Hunter [General]
You have found a balance between your hunting training and your devotion to religious training, blending these two aspects into one seamless whole.
Prerequisite: Track, favored enemy, smite evil.
Benefit: If you have levels in paladin and ranger, those levels stack for the purposes of determining the extra damage dealt by your smite evil ability and determining the benefits you receive for your favored enemy class feature. This ability counts towards number of smite attempts you have as well.
In addition, you can multiclass freely between the paladin and ranger classes. You must still remain lawful good in order to retain your paladin abilities and take paladin levels. You still face the normal XP penalties for having multiple classes more than one level apart.

Devoted Mage [General]
You’ve learned to combine your natural arcane talent with the devotion and grace of a paladin.
Prerequisites: Ability to spontaneously cast 1st level arcane magic, lay on hands.
Benefit: If you have both levels in paladin and sorcerer, you combine these to determine your smite evil damage and your sorcerer caster level.
In addition, when using your lay on hands ability, you may sacrifice a spell slot to increase your paladin level by a number equal to the level of the spell slot sacrificed (i.e. a 4th level paladin/10th level sorcerer sacrifices a 5th level spell slot when laying on hands and may heal as if he were a 9th level paladin). When using this ability in this fashion, the character must use all of his lay on hands healing at once.

Diamond Mindblade [Psionic]
Through dedicated practice, you have discovered how to use the power of your mind blade while executing a martial strike.
Prerequisites: Ability to generate a mindblade, psychic strike +1d8, ability to initiate 2nd-level maneuvers of the Diamond Mind discipline.
Benefit: While initiating a martial strike of the Diamond Mind discipline, you may also add your psychic strike ability on the same attack without expending its use.

Improved Tashalorvok [Psionic]
You have fully mastered the art of blending your mind blade with the Way of the Unseen.
Prerequisites: Tashalorvok, base attack bonus +6
Benefit: You gain the psychic strike progression of a soulknife equal to your soulknife + the psionic class you have chosen with the Tashalorvok feat.

Master Psithief [Psionic]
You have learned to combine your training as a lurk with the abilities of another psionic medium.
Prerequisites: Psionic sneak attack +1d6, lurk augment, manifester level 3rd.
Benefit: Your lurk levels stack with levels of other manifesting classes (that is, levels of any class that grants manifesting other than the lurk) for the purpose of determining what level of augment you can use (but not uses per day). For example, a 4th-level lurk/4th-level egoist could use his lurk augment class feature as an 8th level lurk. Your lurk and manifester levels also stack when determining your manifester level for all psionic powers. The character described above would have a manifester level of 8th for both his lurk powers and his psion powers.

Tashalorvok [Psionic]
Through discipline and meditation, you have learned to blend the Way of the Unseen with your ideal psychic weapon.
Prerequistes: Ability to generate a mind blade, psychic strike +1d8, ability to manifest 2nd level powers.
Benefit: You may add your levels in soulknife and one other psionic base class (such as psion or psychic warrior) to determine your mind blade's enhancement bonuses. For example, a 3rd level soulknife / 7th level psion would have the mind blade of a 10th level soulknife (throw mind blade, +2 mind blade, and +2 enhancement bonus) and the abilities therein. This feat only improves the character's mind blade with the selected base psionic class. If the character should gain levels in other classes or prestige classes, those levels do not stack with this feat to determine the strength of the character's mind blade.

Wrath of the Black Heron [General]
You've learned to channel the fury of your dark passenger while enraged.
Prerequisites: ability to enter rage, ability to initiate any stance of the Black Heron (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100874) discipline.
Benefit: While in raging in a Black Heron stance, you may add your full barbarian level to your initiator level (instead of half) to determine the effectiveness of your Black Heron maneuvers. In addition, you add your full barbarian level to your initiator level to determine what level of Black Heron maneuver you qualify to learn when you gain new maneuvers.

Zealous Mage [General]
You practice a specialized form of magical combat that utilizes both zeal and wild arcane magic to their fullest.
Prerequisites: Furious Counterstrike, ability to spontaneously cast 2nd-level arcane spells.
Benefit: Instead of gaining your Furious Counterstrike bonus to attack and damage rolls, you may instead channel your Steely Resolve damage pool to give yourself a divine bonus to your caster level equal to your Furious Counterstrike bonus. Your Crusader levels stack with your Sorcerer or Bard levels (choose one) to determine your Steely Resolve class feature.
---

More to come later. I will post them in the original post and at the bottom of the thread as I go. PEACH as you will.

-X

Fizban
2009-06-18, 01:45 AM
I could swear I've seen this post before...

Arcane Edge is kinda nifty. How does it interact with Arcane Strike (Complete Warrior)? What about Dolorous Blow and Bless Weapon (spells that auto-confirm crits)? I like the subtle self-synergy in that the static bonus will be multiplied by the critical hit. I really want to toss out a Greater Celerity or Belt of Battle with Dolorous Blow in effect and Omnislash someone.

If Arcane Sage only applies to maneuvers, it should probably require those to take. If "martial strike" means something else, I'll need a definition for it. Any particular reason this one's a swift action while Arcane Edge isn't any action? Also, any chance on a name change? Sage makes me think more magicy, not more swordy.

How does Devoted Mage interact with prestige classes?

I'm too lazy to look up psychic strike: can we have a "normal" section on why you can't normally mix the two so readers can see instantly why this is awesome?

You could probably make a line of Barbarian friendly feats for Barbarian friendly disciplines similar to Wrath of the Black Heron, which I would suggest allowing in case you have a Barbarian in the party who doesn't want to be possessed.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-06-18, 09:31 AM
With the existance of the Duskblade, Arcane Edge and Arcane Sage might be overpowered...

For example: for the cost of 3 6th level spells (which the Duskblade can get easily), I can do the following (I believe...I am away from my books right now):

Swift Action: Spend a spell slot for +6 to all attacks and +6 to all damage.
No Action: Spend a spell slot for a +6 to all damage and a +6 threat range.
Full Attack Action: Channel Disintegrate with every attack (Caster level 20th).

As a ray spell, Disintegrate can critical...

Now, assume a +5 Scimitar.

That's (not considering feats or strength bonuses or anything else) a +31/+26/+21/+16 attack routine for (1d8+5+12/12-20), and EACH hit is a Fort save or take 40d6 damage...and each critical raises that to 80d6.

Nasty. :smallbiggrin:

Cieyrin
2009-06-18, 10:19 AM
Duskblades naturally break that system, as Arcane Strike was devised towards Fighter/Sorcerer types, possibly w/ Spellsword and Eldritch Knight levels. Plus, I could make this deadlier by ditching the scimitar for a weapon w/ a higher crit modifier, like a greataxe or scythe, as, honestly, with Arcane Edge, the extended crit range isn't nearly as important as the modifier is. 12-20/x2 just isn't as impressive as 14-20/x3 or x4, y'know? Though that won't change the crit modifier on that disintegrate, it'll have a greater impact on the rest of the damage modifiers and burst-style abilities that should be on that weapon w/ that crazy crit range.

Them's my 2 vorpal coppers. Take as you will.

zagan
2009-06-18, 11:35 AM
Djinn in tonic: I believe that you can't use Disintegrate with the duskblade Arcane channeling abilitie. Only touch spell can be use that way not range touch.

ErrantX: I really like the feat particulary Wrath of the Black Heron.

ErrantX
2009-09-29, 01:54 AM
Devoted Hunter [General]
You have found a balance between your hunting training and your devotion to religious training, blending these two aspects into one seamless whole.
Prerequisite: Track, favored enemy, smite evil.
Benefit: If you have levels in paladin and ranger, those levels stack for the purposes of determining the extra damage dealt by your smite evil ability and determining the benefits you receive for your favored enemy class feature. This ability counts towards number of smite attempts you have as well.
If you have both the special mount and animal companion class features, you can designate your special mount as your animal companion. The mount gains all the benefits of being both your special mount and your animal companion. For instance, a 5th-level paladin/6th-level ranger’s special mount would have 4 bonus Hit Dice, a +6 natural armor adjustment, +2 Strength, +1 Dexterity, two bonus tricks, and Intelligence 6, as well as the empathic link, improved evasion, share spells, share saving throws, and link special abilities.
In addition, you can multiclass freely between the paladin and ranger classes. You must still remain lawful good in order to retain your paladin abilities and take paladin levels. You still face the normal XP penalties for having multiple classes more than one level apart.

Tashalorvok [Psionic]
Through discipline and meditation, you have learned to blend the Way of the Unseen with your ideal psychic weapon.
Prerequistes: Ability to generate a mind blade, psychic strike +1d8, ability to manifest 2nd level powers.
Benefit: You may add your levels in soulknife and one other psionic base class (such as psion or psychic warrior) to determine your mind blade's enhancement bonuses. For example, a 3rd level soulknife / 7th level psion would have the mind blade of a 10th level soulknife (throw mind blade, +2 mind blade, and +2 enhancement bonus) and the abilities therein. This feat only improves the character's mind blade with the selected base psionic class. If the character should gain levels in other classes or prestige classes, those levels do not stack with this feat to determine the strength of the character's mind blade.

---

Made a couple of small edits to Arcane Edge and Wrath of the Black Heron. Also, considering breaking Tashalorvok into 2 feats, as it's pretty potent otherwise.

-X

Cieyrin
2009-09-29, 10:31 AM
Devoted Hunter is certainly more powerful than the original Devoted Tracker was. Smite, Favored Enemy and Super Mount, all in one feat.

Tashalorvok is certainly powerful, as they get essentially everything in the Soulknife class except for Psychic Strike advancement and bonus feats. That is certainly getting your pie and eating it, too, as you get the meat of Soulknife, plus the features of the other class you're leveling in. It definitely needs some toning down, as you'd have no point of advancing Soulknife after that point.

ErrantX
2009-09-29, 12:55 PM
Devoted Hunter is certainly more powerful than the original Devoted Tracker was. Smite, Favored Enemy and Super Mount, all in one feat.

Tashalorvok is certainly powerful, as they get essentially everything in the Soulknife class except for Psychic Strike advancement and bonus feats. That is certainly getting your pie and eating it, too, as you get the meat of Soulknife, plus the features of the other class you're leveling in. It definitely needs some toning down, as you'd have no point of advancing Soulknife after that point.

Err on the side of being too strong and then nerf, that's how I work with feats. At any rate, I think I will remove the Uber Mount from Devoted Hunter and that should work out fine that way. I just don't like Devoted Tracker because, ooo boy, Wild Empathy *gags*.

As far as Tasalorvok, if I broke it up into two feats, regular and say Tashalorvok Master, perhaps the first would give you the enhancement bonus and the Shape Mind Blade feature, where as the 2nd one would give you the enhancement bonus on it as well? Perhaps free draw as well, or Psychic Strike progression. Personally, there is really no reason to play a soulknife outside of it's bad ass flavor because really the class is terribly designed. Psychic warriors do it better. At the end of the day, I'd like to see some of the class come to use (think Swift Hunter).

So what do people think of my above ideas for those feats?

-X

Cieyrin
2009-09-29, 06:48 PM
Err on the side of being too strong and then nerf, that's how I work with feats. At any rate, I think I will remove the Uber Mount from Devoted Hunter and that should work out fine that way. I just don't like Devoted Tracker because, ooo boy, Wild Empathy *gags*.

As far as Tasalorvok, if I broke it up into two feats, regular and say Tashalorvok Master, perhaps the first would give you the enhancement bonus and the Shape Mind Blade feature, where as the 2nd one would give you the enhancement bonus on it as well? Perhaps free draw as well, or Psychic Strike progression. Personally, there is really no reason to play a soulknife outside of it's bad ass flavor because really the class is terribly designed. Psychic warriors do it better. At the end of the day, I'd like to see some of the class come to use (think Swift Hunter).

So what do people think of my above ideas for those feats?

-X

Dropping Super Mount from the mix would certainly help, yes. Wild Empathy was just there b/c they could fit it in, not b/c it's particularly useful.

I'm also aware of how badly designed Soulknives are (a free +5 weapon does not make up for 3/4 BAB, among other things) but it's still dipping way beyond what normal multiclass feats do. For feats, I'd give the enhancement bonus and psychic strike progression only. If they want to shape, they can pick up the appropriate feats or levels, that should stay a soulknife shtick. An advanced feat could allow advancing of the special ability total bonus.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

ErrantX
2009-09-29, 08:55 PM
Edits to the OP for Tashalorvok have been made, as well as the removal of the ubermount.

Improved Tashalorvok [Psionic]
You have fully mastered the art of blending your mind blade with the Way of the Unseen.
Prerequisites: Tashalorvok, base attack bonus +6
Benefit: You gain the psychic strike progression of a soulknife equal to your soulknife + the psionic class you have chosen with the Tashalorvok feat.

-X

ErrantX
2009-10-19, 02:51 PM
Renamed my original Devoted Mage feat to Zealous Mage, and I've added the following new Devoted Mage feat to the OP.

Devoted Mage [General]
You’ve learned to combine your natural arcane talent with the devotion and grace of a paladin.
Prerequisites: Ability to spontaneously cast 1st level arcane magic, lay on hands.
Benefit: If you have both levels in paladin and sorcerer, you combine these to determine your smite evil damage and your sorcerer caster level.
In addition, when using your lay on hands ability, you may sacrifice a spell slot to increase your paladin level by a number equal to the level of the spell slot sacrificed (i.e. a 4th level paladin/10th level sorcerer sacrifices a 5th level spell slot when laying on hands and may heal as if he were a 9th level paladin). When using this ability in this fashion, the character must use all of his lay on hands healing at once.

---

-X

ErrantX
2009-10-24, 10:49 PM
Here's a new monk feat:

Ascetic Devotee [General]
You have learned to blend the devotion of your faith with the ascetic discipline of the monk.
Prerequisites: Flurry of blows class feature, ability to spontaneously cast cure light wounds, inflict light wounds, or summon nature's ally I as a divine spell.
Benefit: Choose one divine spellcasting class you possess Monastic Training in. Your levels in monk may be combined with any one divine spellcasting to determine your AC bonus, flurry of blows attacks, and unarmed damage.

---
I left this feat open (with the summon nature's ally I thing) to allow druid-monks, for some reason lawful neutral ascetics who live in the forest, punching bears in the face for eating their good berries pleases me.

-X

Cieyrin
2009-10-25, 11:06 AM
Any divine character could get this via Spontaneous Healer (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Spontaneous_Healer,CD), Spontaneous Summoner (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Spontaneous_Summoner,CD) or Spontaneous Wounder (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Spontaneous_Wounder,CD), as well as Spirit Shamans, Favored Souls or Shujenja with the proper spells known.

Not that it actually really matters, just that it's a lot more open than it would first seem to indicate.

As for LN Druid/Monks, yeah, that's gotta be the source of Fists of the Forest alright. :smalltongue:

ErrantX
2009-10-25, 12:06 PM
Any divine character could get this via Spontaneous Healer (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Spontaneous_Healer,CD), Spontaneous Summoner (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Spontaneous_Summoner,CD) or Spontaneous Wounder (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Spontaneous_Wounder,CD), as well as Spirit Shamans, Favored Souls or Shujenja with the proper spells known.

Not that it actually really matters, just that it's a lot more open than it would first seem to indicate.

As for LN Druid/Monks, yeah, that's gotta be the source of Fists of the Forest alright. :smalltongue:

That was the point. I was trying to allow for ascetics of any divine casting class, in the way of feats like Ascetic Psion and Tashalotora.

-X

DracoDei
2009-10-25, 12:21 PM
Devoted Mage [General]
<Snip>

Can this ability still be used if the paladin has used some of his Lay on Hands that day already? If so, does the amount that has alreayd been used just count naturally against the max, or do you do it proportionally:
(((level*Cha Mod)-previous healing)/level)*(Level+spell level)

Or to format it a different way:

((Paladin Level*Cha Mod)-previous healing)*(Paladin Level+Spell Level)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paladin Level

That formula probably looks nastier than it is... but not by TOO much, so I doubt that would be a popular way of doing it. The simpler way of just having previous healing that day being deducted from the new total total is probably the way to go IMHO.

ErrantX
2009-10-25, 12:28 PM
Can this ability still be used if the paladin has used some of his Lay on Hands that day already? If so, does the amount that has alreayd been used just count naturally against the max, or do you do it proportionally:
(((level*Cha Mod)-previous healing)/level)*(Level+spell level)

Or to format it a different way:

((Paladin Level*Cha Mod)-previous healing)*(Paladin Level+Spell Level)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paladin Level

That formula probably looks nastier than it is... but not by TOO much, so I doubt that would be a popular way of doing it. The simpler way of just having previous healing that day being deducted from the new total total is probably the way to go IMHO.

Yay dice augmented competitive algebra!

Anyhow, yes, if you've used your lay hands today (say all of it, doesn't matter), you can generate more lay on hands by burning arcane energy if you'd like. That's not overpowered at all.

Also, failed to initially notice that Tashalotora has Monastic Training as a requirement, added that into Ascetic Devotee, as it makes sense (it's strong).

-X