PDA

View Full Version : Help with a build

kyuubigan
2009-06-17, 10:09 PM
I'm playing a Bard right now planning to go into Lyric Thaumaturge, and I have most of it figured out. I just need some advice with my feats. So far I've got the following planned:

H-Extra Music
1-Lingering Song
3-Song of the Heart
6-Melodic Casting

9-18 Are unplanned

Stats are as follows:

Str 11
Dex 14
Con 12 (+1 at 4th) (+1 at 8th and 12th levels)
Int 12
Wis 10
Cha 18 (+1 at 16th and 20th levels)

Any help would be appreciated.

ErrantX
2009-06-17, 10:17 PM
I'd suggest Bard 8 / Lyric Thaumaturge 2 / Sublime Chord 2 / Lyric Thaumaturge +8 (this is assuming you can make sure that your DM allows Lyric Thaumaturge to advance your Sublime Chord casting).

Feat wise? Song of the Heart, Empower Spell, Quicken Spell, and maybe a reserve feat or two for fun and profit.

-X

Keld Denar
2009-06-17, 10:21 PM
What level are you starting at? I'd swap something around to get Melodic Casting at 1st level. That saves you from ever having to put ranks in Concentration and frees up points to put elsewhere.

For a PrC, you REALLY want to look into Sublime Chord. Its in Complete Arcane. It turns your meh bardic casting into ZOMGAMAZING sorcerer casting while keeping your Song progression going. Its got some pretty crazy skill prereqs, but a human with a 14 int or so should be able to qualify for it, Lyric Thamaturge, and Virtuoso. A common build looks similar to:

Bard5/LT4/Virt1/SubChord2/Virt+8

if I recall correctly. Virtuoso1 doesn't have a caster level, so you want to take it before you take your first Sublime Chord level at level 11. After that, you use your Virt levels to progress Sublime Chord since SC is pretty dead after level 2.

Another PrC to look into would be Mindbender. Requires non-good and that one of your 1st level spells be Charm Person, but gives you +1 caster level at 1st level, and the awesome 100' Telepathy. More than 1 level is bad, since it does lose out on CLs and Bardic Song progression, but that first level is solid gold.

kyuubigan
2009-06-17, 10:28 PM
What level are you starting at?

We're already at 4th level.

ErrantX
2009-06-17, 10:40 PM
Barring my build, assuming that your DM disallows Lyric Thaumaturge advancing Sublime Chord, I'd suggest Keld Denar's build. It's a common but good one :)

-X

kyuubigan
2009-06-17, 10:45 PM
Where would I find this build?

ErrantX
2009-06-17, 10:50 PM
Where would I find this build?

A common build looks similar to:

Bard5/LT4/Virt1/SubChord2/Virt+8

There ya go :P

-X

Keld Denar
2009-06-17, 11:12 PM
My bad...my build is illegal. LT requires 9 ranks in Perform, which only a 6th level character can attain. Thus, the build would look more like:

Bard6/LT3/Virt1/SC2/Virt+8

OR

Bard5/Mindbender1/LT3/Virt1/SC2/Virt+8
but you'd have to buy your 9th rank of Perform crossclass on your Mindbender level.

Still, the 100' Telepathy is totally worth it, especially if you are allowed to take Mindsight from pg 126 in Lords of Madness. Mindsight is AMAZING. It basically means that you'll never have anyone sneak up on you again unless they are Mindless or Mindblanked.