PDA

View Full Version : Does this Fey-elf deserve a LA?

Tynan
2006-03-26, 05:04 PM
I was asked to create a more fey-like elf for a campaign my DM is making, and they wanted to make it slightly not-so-PC-friendly. So, tell me if this thing deserves a LA, please?

Elf Racial Traits
• -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom: Elves are graceful, but frail and weak. They are also naturally intuitive.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Elf base land speed is 30.
• Racial Hit Dice: An elf begins with two levels of fey, which provide 2d6 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +3, and Will +3.
• Racial Skills: An elf’s fey levels give it skill points equal to 5 X (6 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Balance, Concentration, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Hide, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, and Swim.
• Racial Feats: An elf’s fey levels give it one feat. An elf receives Alertness and Weapon Finesse as bonus feats.
• Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
• Low-Light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color under these conditions.
• +4 racial bonus to Listen, Search, and Spot checks, while in natural surroundings, is outside, and can see the sky. An elf is also so familiar with it’s place in nature that it never gets lost, and can always discern North. An elf put into a city, a dungeon, or any place that is not natural, loses all the benefits of this.
• Automatic Languages: Elven and Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Common, Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, and Orc.
• Spell-like Abilities: 1/day—speak with animals (duration 1 minute).
• Favored Class: Druid. A multiclass elf’s druid class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing. Elves are fey, and thus make natural Druids.

Thoughts? Comments?

Edit: Spelling mistakes, and changed the skill parts.

The_Logic_Ninja
2006-03-26, 05:09 PM
Er... nah. The fact that it has to have racial hit dice is enough to balance it.

Tomada
2006-03-26, 05:23 PM
agreed

Tynan
2006-03-26, 05:29 PM
Huh. So not underpowered, and not overpowered? I am so awesome. 8)

Curious though, in the 3.5 MM, I was looking at Satyrs and it said their racial hit dice gave them 5d8 HP. The fey racial HD is d6, so is that a misprint or something?

The_Logic_Ninja
2006-03-26, 05:35 PM
Two racial hit dice might be a little underpowered, even. One racial hit die (0 BAB, +2 will, +2 ref) would be fine, considering how big a deal class levels are.

As for the satyr, I have no clue.

Tynan
2006-03-26, 05:51 PM
Huh. I thought it'd be a tad redundant for something to have one racial HD, which I figured would just be replaced with class levels.

Gildes
2006-03-26, 06:59 PM
Seems underpowered to me. Mostly like standard elves except for +2wis, -2str, and the fey hd. You could add "casts spells as a 1st level druid". The skill points seem odd to me. Don't you mean 5x (6+Int modifier), 4 for 1st lvl, 1 for 2nd?

I would also add move silently as class skill for the fey levels and maybe remove some of the others.

Thomas
2006-03-26, 07:09 PM
Huh. I thought it'd be a tad redundant for something to have one racial HD, which I figured would just be replaced with class levels.

By the rules, they are (usually?). Pixies, for example, lose the racial HD and replace it with a class level.

Tynan
2006-03-26, 08:30 PM
Seems underpowered to me. Mostly like standard elves except for +2wis, -2str, and the fey hd. You could add "casts spells as a 1st level druid". The skill points seem odd to me. Don't you mean 5x (6+Int modifier), 4 for 1st lvl, 1 for 2nd?

I would also add move silently as class skill for the fey levels and maybe remove some of the others.

Whoa, I wonder what kinda drugs I was on when I put 3 X (6+Into modifier).

Well, they aren't too different because that's how this setting has them, fairly similar to regular D&D elves, but with a tad more leaning toward nature. The DM also wants to discourage them for PC's, so I added the fey levels to trivialize them a bit.

Casting spells as a first level druid sounds kinda neat, though. If I were to add that, would that warrant a LA?

storybookknight
2006-03-26, 08:38 PM
Still I think not. As is, it's slightly underpowered in my opinion... You could probably also just take out the racial HD and call it even.

Hallavast
2006-03-26, 10:10 PM
Seems solid and has flavor. Good job.