PDA

View Full Version : gestalt binder

wizuriel
2009-06-18, 01:10 AM
so joining a gestalt game at lvl 8 and was thinking of doing something totally random. The party right now is going to have a paladin/rogue/shadowbane inquistor, a half dragon monk/Sorceror/enlightened fist and some kind of hacked pixie ranger (complete with the arrows).

So we're suppose to be making good characters but figure will go chaotic neutral. My character believes that good needs to use everything they can to conquerer evil, even if it means using potentially evil sources (so my character is fighting for good causes and peace and what not but knows he does potentially evil things for the greater good).

Was stuck thinking of a second class to go with binder though. Wanted something more on the random side. Right now I'm leaning towards Elan or karasite psion (telepathy)/binder.

edit: there is also an evil party. Don't know their info but most of the players are more on the munchkin side than team good, also heard they made some pretty sick stuff. All books are also open

edit :

k so what I have right now

Race: CG Elan
Str: 10
Dex: 10
Con: 16
Int: 16
Wis: 10
Cha: 14 (abilities dumped in here)

Class 1: binder 8
Class 2: Psion 3 / Incarnate 2 / Soul Manifester 3

Feats
1) Midnight Augmentation
Psion) Azure Talent
3) Practised Manifester (Psion)
binder) Improved binding
6) need something here

skills: max out concentration, get some knowledges. Pretty much a little in everything

get a +2 chainmail shirt, +1 morning star and a +2 cloak of charisma leaving 14k gold still to spend?

get fair bab, good will and fort saves.
Need to pick some powers though
1) Vigor, Crystal Shard, charm, grease, Deja Vu
2) Damp Power, brain lock, Control Sound, ?????
3) Share Pain, Dispel Psionics, Energy Wall, Time Hop

Thinking of using the binder and incarnate to help with skills and random stuff.

quick_comment
2009-06-18, 01:15 AM
Binder//Incarnate would be pretty cool, and roughly the same level of optimization as the rest of your party.

Keld Denar
2009-06-18, 01:19 AM
Binder//Conjourer/Malconvoker?

Fits the fluff on both sides. Bind vestiges and demons to your will, and use both to smite the wicked!

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-18, 01:38 AM
Binder//Incarnate would be pretty cool, and roughly the same level of optimization as the rest of your party.

+1. Binder//Incarnate or Binder//Totemist is really good. Gives you plenty of options each day.

Wings of Peace
2009-06-18, 02:22 AM
+1. Binder//Incarnate or Binder//Totemist is really good. Gives you plenty of options each day.

Totemist would work pretty well for a power attack natural weapons build. If he REALLY wanted to take natural weapon to the extreme he could also take Illithid Heritage four times and Deep Spawn in Lords of Madness that would add 6 tentacle attacks in addition to anything he got via binding/toteming. Add Sphinx Claws and Displacer Mantle bound to totem and that makes for ten total attacks. End by binding Chupoclops, Ipos, Amon, and Renove [Combo Taken from the Binder Hanbook] and you get fourteen natural attacks plus four unarmed monk strikes all with power attack (Don't forget to take shock trooper and leap attack :smallsmile:) for a grand total of eighteen attacks plus a slur of additional abilities. Though by the end of that you look pretty damn wicked (If not like an escapee from a bad hentai.)

Edit: Take flaws if you can and do this build. It's fairly feat heavy.

Edit 2: I'll have to look over my books when I get back to them to see when Totemist becomes able to dual bind to his totem Chakra. If it's early enough you might be able to take minimal Totemist for the natural attacks and then take Lion Totem Barbarian and 10 Frenzied Berserker. 6x power attack damage on 18 attacks would be plain unkind...

namo
2009-06-18, 08:23 AM
If LA goes on one side of the Gestalt, it's worth taking a template or a race with LA. Karsites are good ; the Draconic or Dark (ToM) or Phrenic (XPH) templates are never bad either.

Dragonfire Adept (DM) or Warlock (CA) can be good on the other side of the gestalt, both for a dip or for a long ride.
ToB classes rock.

If you go with Telepath, you'll want to bind Focalor for the -2 to saves (and Chupoclops later on) - you might as well go for more debuffs. The Binder does it well via Intimidate : pick up a Fearsome armor (Drow of the Underdark), the Imperious Command feat (ibid) and the Never outnumbered skill trick (Complete Scoundrel) to send your enemies running off (shaken or a worse state of fear is a -2 to saves).

For the Psion side, you can go with DC increases (Psionic Endowment + Psionic Meditation to get your focus back) or diversity, with Expanded Knowledge: Metamorphosis or Energy Missile or Astral Construct or Clairvoyant Sense...
Make sure to pick up Dominate and Schism from the Telepathy list.

woodenbandman
2009-06-18, 10:05 AM
How about Binder//Wilder? Obviously flesh it out, but you get a lot of cool stuff: Charisma synergy, Charisma to touch AC, and you can take Educated Wilder to get Expanded Knowledge x4 rather than Volatile Mind. Depending on what you make of the Wilder, you can go for a really strong tank setup, or sit back and just nuke, like, all day.

wizuriel
2009-06-18, 11:41 AM
suppose can go elan binder with a psion/incantrix/soul manifester

Human Paragon 3
2009-06-18, 12:57 PM
How about Archivist? It fits the theme of gathering weapons against evil no matter their source. Plus full divine spellcasting off every divine list and domain is nothing to scoff at! The vile knowledge ability fits well, too.

Sinfire Titan
2009-06-18, 01:10 PM
suppose can go elan binder with a psion/incantrix/soul manifester

Eh? Don't you mean Incarnate? Incanatrix is a PrC for Wizards, and Soul Manifester requires meldshaping.

SadisticFishing
2009-06-18, 01:12 PM
Binder gives you enough powers to not need something complex - there is a clear winner here, IMHO.

That clear winner (ignoring Anima Mage, which is what I would do if possible), surprisingly enough...

The Hexblade.

Charisma to saves. Give up the Familiar for the Dark Companion. Grab Obtain Familiar, and Improved Familiar for a combat ready bugger (probably a Mephit or Winter Wolf), Binder isn't exactly the most feat heavy class.

Makes for a very strong build.

quick_comment
2009-06-18, 01:14 PM
Binder gives you enough powers to not need something complex - there is a clear winner here, IMHO.

That clear winner (ignoring Anima Mage, which is what I would do if possible), surprisingly enough...

He could do anima mage, but it would take up both sides of the gestalt.

wizuriel
2009-06-18, 01:52 PM
I actually was really tempted to go hexblade. I like the look of the class, but their abilities have such long cooldown times. If your blow your curse all you pretty much have is your dark companion (which is awsome) and some spells. Your like a poor duskblade at that point.

and yeah meant Incarnate.

Thurbane
2009-06-18, 04:35 PM
Dragon Shaman or Dragonfire Adept? Both synergise well with the CHA and CON reqs of the Binder...